Blake Bortles and the future at Quarterback

pwny

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel opposite.

I didn't love the idea of giving up picks for Alex Smith, but i thought he was probably the best option out there for us.  Though it depends a bit on how that new contract is structured, if there's a way to walk away after 2-3 years that's not so bad.

Kirk Cousins scares the heck out of me, just in what it's going to actually cost to sign him.  Especially now.  I think he'd be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade and yikes...what's the pricetag on that upgrade going to be?  And is it going to be locked up forever like Fort Knox?

If anything, Smith being off the market gives me serious anxiety.  What's left?  Mortgaging the future to trade up in the draft and potentially still falling flat because rookie QB?  Mortgaging the future to spend a billion dollars on a mediocre QB like Cousins with everything guaranteed?  Risking the important window we have right now with this TEAM...on another year of the Blake Bortles rollercoaster experience?

Eli Manning is still out there maybe.  That's starting to look like the best option to me.  But who knows if the Giants are even going to actually move on from him now, with the changes they've made in the front office and coaching staff. 

Redskins gave a 3rd and a very good, young, core piece to get Alex Smith. Fuller may have been the best slot corner in the game this past season from what I'm reading.

No thank you while guaranteeing 71M.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Redskins gave a 3rd and a very good, young, core piece to get Alex Smith. Fuller may have been the best slot corner in the game this past season from what I'm reading.

No thank you while guaranteeing 71M.

Nah, Colvin was.  And you'd trade a 3rd plus Colvin for Alex Smith in a heartbeat.  I know i would.

At this point, we're left with either throwing even more insane money at a QB the Redskins clearly thought wasn't worth it.  Like...franchise ruining money probably.  Pinning the entire season on a completely unknown rookie.  Or rolling the dice with Blake Bortles again...coming off a wrist injury and already inconsistent enough to begin with.  Or maybe some outside shot at Eli Manning or something?

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Nah, Colvin was.  And you'd trade a 3rd plus Colvin for Alex Smith in a heartbeat.  I know i would.

At this point, we're left with either throwing even more insane money at a QB the Redskins clearly thought wasn't worth it.  Like...franchise ruining money probably.  Pinning the entire season on a completely unknown rookie.  Or rolling the dice with Blake Bortles again...coming off a wrist injury and already inconsistent enough to begin with.  Or maybe some outside shot at Eli Manning or something?

Fuller is young and ascending. He may move outside. This guy is better than Colvin with cheap control.

No, I would not do a young, ascending corner and a 3rd for Smith. 

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Or rolling the dice with Blake Bortles again...coming off a wrist injury and already inconsistent enough to begin with. 

Well if we want to sunshine pump for a minute....

Blake has had the injury since December 2016. He played the entire season+ with it and put together the best year of his career. If his wrist is healthy, he could be better.

If you want to really sunshine pump, maybe that three game stretch of elite play was where it had been less of an issue before re-aggravating it.

With the rollover money and Bortles 19 million off the books, that puts us at $44 million in cap room.

Cut Ivory- saves 4 million

Cut Lewis/Rivera- saves 5 million

maybe cut Hurns- saves 7 million

You can get to $53 million easily and possibly $60 million if you want to part ways with Hurns.

This team does a great job with the cap. It is rising every year and yes we are going to need to lock up guys like Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue soon. Calais is no spring chicken, I don’t know how much longer he will be able to play at a high level. He has a high cap number. Dareus is a good player but will he be worth his $12 million cap hit in a couple years? 

I really hope you guys don’t expect this defense to be as healthy as it was last year. That is going to put more weight on Blake’s arm to score more points.

Do I trust him to do that? Probably not.

31 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fuller is young and ascending. He may move outside. This guy is better than Colvin with cheap control.

No, I would not do a young, ascending corner and a 3rd for Smith. 

Really?  You wouldn't deal a great nickel corner and a 3rd round mystery box for consistent QB play?  And i really like Colvin, and absolutely hope he's re-signed.  He's a big part of this defense.  But i'd deal him and a 3rd round lottery ticket in an instant for consistent reasonably high end veteran QB play with consistency.  You can find nickel corners.  Finding the centerpiece to your team at the QB position is something else entirely...

29 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Well if we want to sunshine pump for a minute....

Blake has had the injury since December 2016. He played the entire season+ with it and put together the best year of his career. If his wrist is healthy, he could be better.

If you want to really sunshine pump, maybe that three game stretch of elite play was where it had been less of an issue before re-aggravating it.

That's the thing though...It feels like sunshine pumping to expect that a guy going through this sort of surgery and rehab this season, is going to come out better for it.  Especially when he's had a history of inconsistent offseasons where...who knows what sort of mechanics he'll even come back with?  They've shown to wildly fluctuate already...add in surgery and rehab and who knows what you're gonna get.  That makes it so much scarier.

24 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

With the rollover money and Bortles 19 million off the books, that puts us at $44 million in cap room.

Cut Ivory- saves 4 million

Cut Lewis/Rivera- saves 5 million

maybe cut Hurns- saves 7 million

You can get to $53 million easily and possibly $60 million if you want to part ways with Hurns.

This team does a great job with the cap. It is rising every year and yes we are going to need to lock up guys like Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue soon. Calais is no spring chicken, I don’t know how much longer he will be able to play at a high level. He has a high cap number. Dareus is a good player but will he be worth his $12 million cap hit in a couple years? 

I really hope you guys don’t expect this defense to be as healthy as it was last year. That is going to put more weight on Blake’s arm to score more points.

Do I trust him to do that? Probably not.

The problem with this, is finding someone worth actually spending on.

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Really?  You wouldn't deal a great nickel corner and a 3rd round mystery box for consistent QB play?  And i really like Colvin, and absolutely hope he's re-signed.  He's a big part of this defense.  But i'd deal him and a 3rd round lottery ticket in an instant for consistent reasonably high end veteran QB play with consistency.  You can find nickel corners.  Finding the centerpiece to your team at the QB position is something else entirely...

No, I would not. I've watched Alex Smith for pretty much the last two years.

Is he a solid QB who you can win with? Yes. Is he that much better than what we saw from Bortles this season? I don't think so. Certainly not enough to pay him 71M guaranteed at the age of 34.

Im not giving him that contract, dealing a pick that can get some much needed depth/possible contributor, and key young corner (Colvin is good, but Fuller was better and can actually force turnovers, so putting them together as equal here isn't justifiable imo) to move from Blake to Alex Smith, especially given what each QB had to work with and the fact he needs a good TE to excel (which we don't have).

I think this is more so about different views of Blake. If you think he falls off/can't play as well in 2018 and maybe even improve consistency with better weapons/another year with Hackett than you are going to have a different thought on how this comes out.

But Washington, imo, got fleeced. Seems to be a sentiment pretty much league wide. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

If he takes a deal that is somewhat reasonable let's do it.

Wish I knew what the FO was thinking right now. 

With the way he talks, it does seem like he is prioritizing winning over money. He has made good money the last two years getting tagged.

Maybe he takes less to go to the Broncos, Jags or Vikings or goes after the money. We will see.

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No, I would not. I've watched Alex Smith for pretty much the last two years.

Is he a solid QB who you can win with? Yes. Is he that much better than what we saw from Bortles this season? I don't think so. Certainly not enough to pay him 71M guaranteed at the age of 34.

Im not giving him that contract, dealing a pick that can get some much needed depth/possible contributor, and key young corner (Colvin is good, but Fuller was better and can actually force turnovers, so putting them together as equal here isn't justifiable imo) to move from Blake to Alex Smith, especially given what each QB had to work with and the fact he needs a good TE to excel (which we don't have).

I think you're really underselling Colvin.  He didn't force turnovers the same way because he really wasn't asked to.  His value was in other elements of playing as DB inside.

I also think you're underselling the value of a consistent, reliable QB who just does what he does...every Sunday.

21 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

With the way he talks, it does seem like he is prioritizing winning over money. He has made good money the last two years getting tagged.

Maybe he takes less to go to the Broncos, Jags or Vikings or goes after the money. We will see.

Yeah.  I'm sure Kirk Cousins has endured several seasons of controversy and vitriol just to land in the right spot to "win more".  He'll probably take a super cheap discount from the $30M he was asking for to come and "win" with a team like the Jaguars, conveniently stashed in a nice tax zone.

45 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think you're really underselling Colvin.  He didn't force turnovers the same way because he really wasn't asked to.  His value was in other elements of playing as DB inside.

I also think you're underselling the value of a consistent, reliable QB who just does what he does...every Sunday.

Fuller is young and still ascending. He isn't relegated inside like I believe Colvin needs to be to be on the level he is. If you're asking me to pick one right now for the next few years I'm taking Fuller.

Alex Smith doesn't do what he does every Sunday. He had an awful stretch this year midseason. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fuller is young and still ascending. He isn't relegated inside like I believe Colvin needs to be to be on the level he is. If you're asking me to pick one right now for the next few years I'm taking Fuller.

Alex Smith doesn't do what he does every Sunday. He had an awful stretch this year midseason. 

That whole team had an awful stretch this year midseason.  Alex Smith wasn't the reason they weren't winning.  Also, Blake had a completely unwatchable embarrassing stretch or two this season.

I don't know how you can hand Kirk Cousins the kind of money he's going to command, without at least thinking Smith is a decent QB.  They're not that far apart.  Cousins has thrown plenty of really bad passes in his NFL career...probably worse than anything you'll see out of Smith even.  He's a similarly mediocre QB...with less consistency at this stage in their careers.

Archived