Blake Bortles and the future at Quarterback

pwny

On 1/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, oldman9er said:

I agree with your overall sentiment here, but as a description for Alex Smith, consistently mediocre seems a bit harsh. I know QBR is far from the end all, but being #1 in that ranking + #4th best offense in dvoa + poor grades on his LT and LG + Andy Reid's consistent philosophy to put on the breaks with a lead. 

I don't think Alex is an "A" grade, top tier QB. I do think he's consistent "B" grade, 2nd tier though. Mediocre falls below the two, imho. 

Don't get me wrong, i like Alex Smith.  I think he's a good QB.  Honestly, pending the pricetag on acquiring him...i think he may well be the best option out there for this team.  But he does have his limitations is what i'm getting at.  There's a reason the Chiefs are moving on for him.  He's not going to put a team on his shoulders and carry them like you might expect from what his QBR and Win Totals might suggest.  No point burying your head in the sand and ignoring those shortcomings if you're looking at him as an option.  Go in with honest expectations.

Really just a different definition of "mediocre" i think.  I'd agree that Smith is essentially a consistent, if less than exhilarating "B" grade QB.  And the point is...he's pretty much a consistent "B" grade week in week out.  Whereas from day to day, Bortles might look like anything from an "A" grade, to a complete "F" grade.  And you really never know which way it might go.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

If they are in love with one of the top guys, go for it. I just hope it isn’t Barkley or Allen.

I think it’s more likely we trade out of the 1st round rather than trading up though.

As for Blake, if they do stick with him, they need to bring in serious competition to compete with him. Not Chad Henne. Not Jordan Palmer. Not Todd Bouman.

Barkley?

Freudian slip, referencing Sam Darnold...?  :D  Or talking about the RB?  

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now.

Wanted no part of dealing picks + signing Smith to a long-term deal. Cousins is the only veteran I am/was open to getting over Blake.

I feel opposite.

I didn't love the idea of giving up picks for Alex Smith, but i thought he was probably the best option out there for us.  Though it depends a bit on how that new contract is structured, if there's a way to walk away after 2-3 years that's not so bad.

Kirk Cousins scares the heck out of me, just in what it's going to actually cost to sign him.  Especially now.  I think he'd be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade and yikes...what's the pricetag on that upgrade going to be?  And is it going to be locked up forever like Fort Knox?

If anything, Smith being off the market gives me serious anxiety.  What's left?  Mortgaging the future to trade up in the draft and potentially still falling flat because rookie QB?  Mortgaging the future to spend a billion dollars on a mediocre QB like Cousins with everything guaranteed?  Risking the important window we have right now with this TEAM...on another year of the Blake Bortles rollercoaster experience?

Eli Manning is still out there maybe.  That's starting to look like the best option to me.  But who knows if the Giants are even going to actually move on from him now, with the changes they've made in the front office and coaching staff. 

9 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Offer Kirk 5 for 120, if he says no, stick with BB5.

I'm not giving Kirk 120 mill.. if his own squad refused to break the bank for him where there is smoke there is fire in 16' Kirk had (2) thousand yard receivers, a healthy Josh Reed and went 8-7-1. I'm not mortgaging the future of resigning Ramsey, Yann, and Jack for Cousins. 

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Don't get me wrong, i like Alex Smith.  I think he's a good QB.  Honestly, pending the pricetag on acquiring him...i think he may well be the best option out there for this team.  But he does have his limitations is what i'm getting at.  There's a reason the Chiefs are moving on for him.  He's not going to put a team on his shoulders and carry them like you might expect from what his QBR and Win Totals might suggest.  No point burying your head in the sand and ignoring those shortcomings if you're looking at him as an option.  Go in with honest expectations.

Really just a different definition of "mediocre" i think.  I'd agree that Smith is essentially a consistent, if less than exhilarating "B" grade QB.  And the point is...he's pretty much a consistent "B" grade week in week out.  Whereas from day to day, Bortles might look like anything from an "A" grade, to a complete "F" grade.  And you really never know which way it might go.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Alex is now a Washington Redskin, btw. 

I'd still like to see Jax kick some serious arse. Good luck!

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

Sign Cousins with what money? I don't expect Hurns, Ivory, M. Lewis, J. Strong or Rivera back with the team next year.. that gets you back to 30 mill in Cap space for 18. https://overthecap.com/calculator/jacksonville-jaguars

The rollover money and the Bortles 19 million that would come off the books if they don’t pick up the option.

Archived