DP's "Battlestations" thread!

Hey everyone, 

I wanted to make a thread to share/discuss your PC "battlestation". I'm about to embark on creating my own new battlestation and I'll be sharing my progress here, starting with this post. 

Day 1:

This is my current setup:

FhJKw65.jpg

rAo5jMc.jpg

Full specs

Tower

CPU: Intel i7-4790k

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX  980

Mouse: Logitech G502

Keyboard: Logitech G105 

Mouse pad: Corsair Gaming MM100 Cloth

Monitor 1: Dell S2716DG 27" 144Hz

Monitor 2: ASUS VG248 24" 144Hz

Headset: Logitech G230 Gaming Headset

Desk: FREDDE Computer Station (IKEA)

My goal is to have something that looks like this:

tCy2fth.jpg

Obviously my tower won't be as nice to look at, but something along these lines that's nice and clean and minimalist is what I'm aiming for. Here's the list of parts I'm going to buy:

Item

Cost

RGB Silent Keys Keyboard

$150

White WASD Key caps

$10

IKEA counter top (white)

$79

Legs

$25

Drawers

$160

LED Strips

$30

Monitor wall mount

$25

Mouse Pad

$25

Cable clips, Velcro ties, J Channel cable raceway, 3M sticky pads

$50

Headphone stand

$10

Cube clock

$20

Monitor LED's

$20

Ordered all the parts from Amazon and then went to IKEA last night and bought the 2 drawers, counter top (I went with the black stone just like in the picture even though I originally thought I wanted white until I saw how easy it gets scuffed up), and the legs. Today is purely about assembling the drawers and then installing the legs onto the counter top. The original setup that I'm trying to mimic also drilled a hole in the counter top for the mouse and keyboard cables to go underneath, and I'm not sure I have the expertise to do that lol

My current specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k 4.0GHz Quad-Core

GPU:  MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X 8G

RAM:  2x16GB Trident Z DDR4-3000

Storage: 2x Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, 1x Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive, multiple Externals

Monitors:  2x Acer-H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

Just now, Darth Pees said:

I think I wish I had your hardware lol but I like my monitors better. Once you 144Hz you'll never go back (especially for gaming).

I bought them as a budget, I'm probably getting my next monitor at 144Hz, might replace the 2 Acers as well giving me 3 of them.

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

As soon as the 1180 Ti comes out I'm going to build my PC. I need a next gen card that can handle 8k VR. I'll probably buy another 144hz monitor to go with my current one too.

With the current market on gpu's I don't even want to know how expensive that 1180 will be at release. If anyone is ever getting rid of their monitors, let me know. I have the one right now, but am looking to upgrade.

UPDATE: So the piece of laminate that I posted above (the black stone) is curved for some reason, so the left side of the laminate sits evenly on the desks, but the right side is angled slightly upwards, leaving about a half of an inch between the desk and table on the far right end. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is normal or not?

50 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

UPDATE: So the piece of laminate that I posted above (the black stone) is curved for some reason, so the left side of the laminate sits evenly on the desks, but the right side is angled slightly upwards, leaving about a half of an inch between the desk and table on the far right end. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is normal or not?

I'm gonna go with a solid no, that is not normal. Is it IKEA?

4 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I'm gonna go with a solid no, that is not normal. Is it IKEA?

Yeah. Apparently it needs the adjustable leg in the middle, so I'm going to try to return the desk, get a new one and get the adjustable leg to prevent the warping. Or I might go for a more expensive counter top that doesn't warp so easily.

UPDATE: Taking the laminate counter top back to IKEA tomorrow or Saturday and exchanging it for a more expensive (and hopefully more sturdy!) oak counter top and also getting an adjustable leg to offset some of the pressure down the center of the table. Then I might even drill the drawers into the counter top (from underneath the drawers), but I'm not sure that's going to be necessary after I get the adjustable leg installed and a new counter top. Hooray for speed bumps!

Archived