TCM RAMS GM

Fragafootball

Couple more moves

Sent Barron to the 49ers with our 87th pick for their 70th and Eli Harold. I saved 7 million in cap with the move, Barron was a player I had to trade or cut, so moving up 17 picks and getting a nice depth pick with Harold felt right. He had a good season in the 3-4 he has plenty of potential but was out of place in the 4-3. Saw plenty of positive things in him, but he basically has a no cost one year prove it deal so why not. 

Also send Saffold and Ebukam to Detroit for Anthony Zettel. Trading Saffold opened up 6.5 million in cap room. Ebukam was a great depth/developmental piece, but we have Longacre, Price and now Harold in the roster as young promising OLBs. Zettel was one of the best edge rushers in the league in 2016, he struggled with some injuries in 2017, yet finished the year rated 11th by PFF among DEs in the league. I did some scouting and saw plenty of games where he lined up inside at DT(where I believe he played some college ball) but he also played a lot on the outside standing up, that's where I plan on playing him. In Robert Quinn's role. He shined next to Ansah and I think he'll pair up perfectly with Aaron Donald. He also costs nothing for 2018. He's on the last year of his deal but I don't see why we can't extend him during the year as he adjusts to the system. I now have enough money to extend Donald comfortably. 

I love the guards in this years draft class. But if things go according to plan I can go into free agency needing one or two pick ups at the most and complete the team in the draft with very few needs at positions with plenty of talent.

1 hour ago, Fragafootball said:

Also send Saffold and Ebukam to Detroit for Anthony Zettel. Trading Saffold opened up 6.5 million in cap room. Ebukam was a great depth/developmental piece, but we have Longacre, Price and now Harold in the roster as young promising OLBs. Zettel was one of the best edge rushers in the league in 2016, he struggled with some injuries in 2017, yet finished the year rated 11th by PFF among DEs in the league. I did some scouting and saw plenty of games where he lined up inside at DT(where I believe he played some college ball) but he also played a lot on the outside standing up, that's where I plan on playing him. In Robert Quinn's role. He shined next to Ansah and I think he'll pair up perfectly with Aaron Donald. He also costs nothing for 2018. He's on the last year of his deal but I don't see why we can't extend him during the year as he adjusts to the system. I now have enough money to extend Donald comfortably. 

I love the guards in this years draft class. But if things go according to plan I can go into free agency needing one or two pick ups at the most and complete the team in the draft with very few needs at positions with plenty of talent.

With all due respect, I strongly dislike that trade. We got fleeced. Saffold was one of the best OGs in the NFL this year, and Ebukam is a talented young OLB with outstanding athleticism. Zettel's fit in our defense is the position that Brockers currently plays, not Quinn's old spot. He's not a bad player, but I don't think he's enough of a return for what we gave up, and I don't like the fit. We should not have included Ebukam in that deal.

But I do like the Barron deal, so it's not all bad.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I figured it was good for both parties. Barron isn't a good fit in the 3-4, but his previous  history as a strong side backer is perfect for my defense, especially since that's a really weak area for me. I would hope that he would continue to excel in that role like he did in 2016. Plus I can afford his cap hit this year and into the future, so I should keep him for the remainder of his contract. Rams get up to the top of round 3, and Harold will add some depth on the 3-4. 

Just now, Forge said:

I figured it was good for both parties. Barron isn't a good fit in the 3-4, but his previous  history as a strong side backer is perfect for my defense, especially since that's a really weak area for me. I would hope that he would continue to excel in that role like he did in 2016. Plus I can afford his cap hit this year and into the future, so I should keep him for the remainder of his contract. Rams get up to the top of round 3, and Harold will add some depth on the 3-4. 

He's a very good LB in the right spot. He's just not a guy who fits as a 3-4 thumper. We need someone who can stuff the run. Plus, with his contract, it makes sense to move on. I think it's a good deal because we likely cut him IRL. But obviously, the TCMD is always different in that regard. There are a lot more people willing to trade for guys who would be cut IRL.

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

With all due respect, I strongly dislike that trade. We got fleeced. Saffold was one of the best OGs in the NFL this year, and Ebukam is a talented young OLB with outstanding athleticism. Zettel's fit in our defense is the position that Brockers currently plays, not Quinn's old spot. He's not a bad player, but I don't think he's enough of a return for what we gave up, and I don't like the fit. We should not have included Ebukam in that deal.

I second this.  My rule of thumb is that trading anyone the current regime drafted in the past two drafts is just something to frown on.  In this case, the out and out "current" regime has only had one draft (with McVay's and Wade's input incorporated), so last year's draft class should have been untouchable.

Zettel doesn't have lateral agility to function as a 3-4 EDGE, and he doesn't have the first step for it either.  You shipped our 4th round pick from this past draft and our best guard for a guy who hasn't played much better than the 6th round pick he originally was two years ago.  I'd have had trouble swallow a straight up swap of ONE of those players for Zettel; sending them both for him, as jrry put it, is just straight up getting fleeced.

I like the pick up of Harold, particularly for the return, but I wouldn't count on him as anything more than potential at this point - as a Niner last season the biggest knock on him was lack of impact plays for all the snaps that he got.  Maybe Wade could get more out of him by returning him to a 3-4, but at this point he's depth that has starting experience, I'd actually have had Ekubam ahead of him on the depth chart if we still had Samson because at least he's shown the ability to make an impact from the position in our specific system.

Harold is a pure depth/potential pickup. I don't see any negatives in adding him.

i understand the feelings against the Saffold trade, but I've always felt like Guard is a position I could upgrade. I didn't want to give up Samson but we've got a good group of young OLB in the roster already. I watched a lot of tape on Zettel and asked a good friend who is a die hard Lions friend about him. He lined up at SAM on quite a few plays I saw and he did very well. He led the Lions in QB pressures last year despite struggling through an injury and in a very talented front 7 that is impressive. Another factor is the cap ramification. I gave up a starter I could upgrade and saved 6.5 million in cap space while acquiring a starting edge rusher at no cost. 

Im trying no to go into free agency counting on acquiring players there, as this is my first time playing and I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I can still pick up another OLB with a price I'm comfortable on giving up. Meaning the only needs I'd have remaining would be LG, ILB and NT. Which I'm confident on strengthening through the draft if I can't pick anyone up in free agency.

I still think continuity on the offensive line should have been a high priority. We have suffered through bad line play for so long, so why dismantle it when we finally get it right? For a young QB like Goff, we need to protect him. I like Zettel as I'm a PSU fan, but I wouldn't have even considered swapping Saffold for him straight up. If you think you can upgrade Saffold, I understand it from your point of view, but I don't see that being a possibility especially when you factor in his familiarity with the system and his other lineman. With it being a done deal, I think it's a must that we get Suillivan back.

I do like the Barron trade though

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I still think continuity on the offensive line should have been a high priority. We have suffered through bad line play for so long, so why dismantle it when we finally get it right? For a young QB like Goff, we need to protect him. I like Zettel as I'm a PSU fan, but I wouldn't have even considered swapping Saffold for him straight up. If you think you can upgrade Saffold, I understand it from your point of view, but I don't see that being a possibility especially when you factor in his familiarity with the system and his other lineman. With it being a done deal, I think it's a must that we get Suillivan back.

I do like the Barron trade though

I hear you, I don't plan on making any more moves in our OL. I'm afraid of Sully's price tag but I will try and resign him. So swapping one piece wouldn't really be considered "dismantling it"

Guys, I would love to keep all of our above average pieces while upgrading our needs, but  I can't afford to do that. We need to sacrifice some pieces. Consider that the moves saved 6 million in cap space, while filling a positions that previously cost us 11 million. 

The Los Angeles Rams Tender:

ERFA

7707-Troy Hill -CB

8829- Malcolm Brown - RB

RFA

7113 - Matt Longacre 34OLB - TENDER OFFERED ROFR 2ndRnd Comp

8246 - Darrel Williams RT - TENDER OFFERED ROFR - No Comp

Rams also place Transitional Tag on:

3802 - Lamarcus Joyner - S

I will also be extending Donald later today. So our main goal for this offseason has been achieved. 

12 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

I hear you, I don't plan on making any more moves in our OL. I'm afraid of Sully's price tag but I will try and resign him. So swapping one piece wouldn't really be considered "dismantling it"

Guys, I would love to keep all of our above average pieces while upgrading our needs, but  I can't afford to do that. We need to sacrifice some pieces. Consider that the moves saved 6 million in cap space, while filling a positions that previously cost us 11 million. 

Yeah, if we get Sullivan back we would only be losing one piece, but it just seems we have different feelings on how important Saffold is. If you think you can upgrade that position and save some cap room doing so, then that does sound like the thing to do.

Love that you prioritized Donald though. Wish our front office would just get the deal done already!

Alright gentleman... free agency begins today.

I will be cutting Austin and clearing an extra 3 million in cap space.

Donald has been extended for four years(max I could do in the system) earning about 15 million per year, 6 in salary and 7.5 prorated bonus.

I will also extend Joyner when I am able to, depending on what happens with our cap I can lower this years cap hit from the 11 million franchise tag.

I won't be placing any RFA tenders, Brett Jones-C interested me but I am still confident on resigning Sullivan.

Hopefully I can resign our players, and the plan is filling out ILB, DT, CB and now LG through FA and the draft. Don't want to put the full strategy here and be outbid but here are a few interesting FA names, let me know what you guys think.

ILB: Derrick Johnson, NaVorro Bowman, Paul Posluszny, Zach Brown, Todd Davis

DT: Dontari Poe, Allan Branch, Haloti Ngata, Stephen Paea

CB:Aaron Colvin, DJ Hayden, EJ Gaines, Kyle Fuller, Malcom Butler, Prince Amukamara, Terrence Newman

G: Evan Smith, Justin Pugh, Patrick Omameh, Earl Watford, Jahri Evans, Josh Kline, John Greco

Remember I do have to fit everyone in the budget so I probably won't get the best player in each position, my current Round 1 strategy puts us in great shape while leaving nearly 10 million in cap room. But again I would love to get everyone's scouting of the free agent market and take it into consideration. 

2 hours ago, Fragafootball said:

Alright gentleman... free agency begins today.

I will be cutting Austin and clearing an extra 3 million in cap space.

Donald has been extended for four years(max I could do in the system) earning about 15 million per year, 6 in salary and 7.5 prorated bonus.

I will also extend Joyner when I am able to, depending on what happens with our cap I can lower this years cap hit from the 11 million franchise tag.

I won't be placing any RFA tenders, Brett Jones-C interested me but I am still confident on resigning Sullivan.

Hopefully I can resign our players, and the plan is filling out ILB, DT, CB and now LG through FA and the draft. Don't want to put the full strategy here and be outbid but here are a few interesting FA names, let me know what you guys think.

ILB: Derrick Johnson, NaVorro Bowman, Paul Posluszny, Zach Brown, Todd Davis

DT: Dontari Poe, Allan Branch, Haloti Ngata, Stephen Paea

CB:Aaron Colvin, DJ Hayden, EJ Gaines, Kyle Fuller, Malcom Butler, Prince Amukamara, Terrence Newman

G: Evan Smith, Justin Pugh, Patrick Omameh, Earl Watford, Jahri Evans, Josh Kline, John Greco

Remember I do have to fit everyone in the budget so I probably won't get the best player in each position, my current Round 1 strategy puts us in great shape while leaving nearly 10 million in cap room. But again I would love to get everyone's scouting of the free agent market and take it into consideration. 

Love what you're doing with Austin, Donald, and Joyner.

For free agents, I would love to go after Poe, but he will probably be a little too pricy. D. Johnson, Bowman, Poz, Branch, Ngata, and Butler would all be awesome.

Archived