FF Big Brother 7: Whicker wins! Diary Sessions now!

Malfatron

more bad news from the boston cannons.

looks like they did a trade they didnt want to do because they were nice?

https://www.bostoncannons.com/?__hstc=19433959.abe25f7f451f6504f36e9b63de40235e.1527703712696.1527703712696.1527742780912.2&__hssc=19433959.22.1527742780912&__hsfp=354995799

The Boston Cannons have agreed to trade Attackman Davey Emala to the Ohio Machine for Attackman Mark Cockerton & a 2019 7th Round Draft Pick.

“At the request of Davey, we have made a trade with Ohio for Mark Cockerton. Davey provided great energy to the Cannons for a number of years. His involvement with the team, the community and at Cannons clinics is much appreciated. With hesitation on this end we granted his request and wish him the best of luck"

14 hours ago, SovereignNazgul said:

Yo, this season's 50 houseguests was an abomination (no offense, Jules).
It's like the Writer's Strike season of BB9. It was a mess from the start and most people wiped it from their imagination. It simply doesn't exist.

But, go you! 

on the other hand the whole having shady slim thing meant this season rated highly up until my controversial eviction at F4

10 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i like how u both put eight points on england when in the first test of the series pakistan dunked on them hard

Yeah but that was before they got that new american Queen they should be in better shape now

2 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

rly disappoints me you put the same value on the cricket too because it's a five day game so i would love to see it boil down to the final session of the fifth day ahahahahah

what?

oh god, i did not know that lol

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:

what?

oh god, i did not know that lol

okay um to be more pacific it's a max five day game

each team has two innings of eleven batsmen and ten max outs each and if there's no winner by five days it's a draw - pakistan stomped the first test and won within three days from memory or maybe early on the fourth 

yup i just checked

the morning of day four lol

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

okay um to be more pacific it's a max five day game

each team has two innings of eleven batsmen and ten max outs each and if there's no winner by five days it's a draw - pakistan stomped the first test and won within three days from memory or maybe early on the fourth 

so if each inning has 10 outs, how the hell do games last multiple days?

probably not working overtime or after hours to get the games done.

you guys had better get strapped in because i'm procrastinating the **** out of some stuff for uni that's relatively unimportant so you're about to get learned

cricket games are comprised of "overs". an over is six balls bowled. the england and pakistan match is a "test match", also known as the long form game. it is the original and the best and started in the 1800s. test cricket is comprised of five days play and has three sessions of thirty overs on each day, so naturally a test has 30x3x5 overs in a full match if it goes the distance or 2700 balls. most do not last this long; it's rare to see a full 90 overs bowled in a day due to slowness, sometimes weather such as rain, etc etc, but so your average weather-unaffected day usually will have between 80-90 overs completed just due to circumstances of the game.

each team has eleven players, all eleven must bat unless you declare (stop batting at a given point voluntarily to speed the game up and dodge a draw), and two have to be out there at all times - which is why you have ten outs ("wickets"), because you can not have just one batsman out there. the batsman who is left not out is said to be stranded and is not recorded as out for statistical purposes. each batsman has what is called a "strike rate", which is the runs he scored per hundred balls faced. so if i am batting and score 37 runs off 50 balls, i have a strike rate of 74. test matches, because of their attritional nature, often players have a strike rate of 40-65, and if you have a career SR of 65 then you are considered a very aggressive batsman. this is because in a five day game, the wicket of each batsman is much more valuable, so they are less inclined to take risks and risk "throwing away their wicket"

this is why they last so long, because batsman put a premium on their wicket. this means that if a team is chasing a massive total in their second innings and they don't have the time to do it, they "bat for a draw" and would just block everything and forget trying to play risky scoring shots, as there is no chance given the time they could win

tests are, and this is kinda contradictory, by far and away the most exciting form of the game. any test that is say, 70% entertaining, is a much better spectacle than any of the other forms that are equally entertaining like if that makes sense. some tests such as this england vs sri lanka test in headingley typify this - england's #11, ie their very very worst batsman, held out for fifty balls without scoring before being claimed on the second last ball of the entire game in the waning minutes of the third session of the fifth day to give sri lanka the win (http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/11718/scorecard/667901/england-vs-sri-lanka-2nd-investec-test-sri-lanka-tour-of-england-and-ireland-2014/)

the sixties and seventies saw the rise of limited overs one-day international cricket, in which each team has a limit of fifty overs in their innings. this is to encourage more shots and faster scoring, and they only have one innings each. it is not uncommon for the strike rates to hover around the 80-110 range, though this is only recent as in the early odis strike rates hovered around the 60s, and until the 2000s they were around 70-80

if tests are the artistic fifteen course degustation you take your wife on for a treat and odi's are the family sunday roast then the shortest form of the game, twenty20, is what you'd call the fat greasy slider you get when you're on a long road trip. this format came around in the mid 2000s and there are only twenty overs a side. you enjoy it while you're having it and a real good one can be just as good as the degustation but those are few and far between and you generally forget it soon after. SR's are around 110-140 but some of the best batsmen sometimes scorch at 170+ if they get a roll on. the shots are generally a lot more innovative and there's not much of the strategical attrition you see in tests - it's just a lot of see ball hit ball, meaning that though it's not as pure a form of the game, it's accessible and introducing people to cricket through shorter formats is firming as a good way to hopefully build the pathways in to the long form of the game.

Archived