Alex Smith seems like a steal now with these new QB contracts

Vladimir L

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Vs. trading for a 34 year old starting QB?  Yes I'm comfortable with it.

There is a reason that you have your job and the Redskins FO has theirs.

Obviously in their mind, trading a 3rd and a slot Corner for a Pro Bowl QB outweighed any option for the drafts QBs.

You can gripe about it for the rest of your life, but it happened. 

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We can build around Smith. I guarantee if Smith is still the QB for the Redskins by the time he is 37 a lot of people are going to be eating crow. 

Alex Smith is 33 right now. His birthday is May 7, so when the season begins he will be 34. He signed a 4yr contract extension, which means it doesn't take affect until next year.

2018 - 34 [under existing contract]; year one
2019 - 35 [under new contract with all its guarantees]; year two
2020 - 36 [under new contract with all its guarantees]; year three

After 2020 season but before 2021, he's 37. Even though I cannot find references to what the actual contract parameters are, you have to think that if he has $55M guaranteed at signing yesterday that it would include the 2019 and 2020 salaries as fully guaranteed.

So, having him here at the year he would turn 37 should be the expectation based solely on the new contract. It would have nothing to do with his play. If he isn't, then it was an even bigger mistake than I fear.

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

By trading up for it... did the not have it? Are you comfortable with the Redskins trading up for a QB again?

All the way to #2 this year? Perhaps not. Trade up to 8 for the third QB if he slid? I could work with it. I wouldn't plan on that until I was in the draft though. I would have gone with a bridge QB and then see what happened during the draft.

Just because you got burned once taking a risk shouldn't hinder you from taking a similar risk in a different circumstance. Remember, RG3 was lightning in a bottle until he blew out his knee. If he wasn't brought back out in the second half, we very easily could be having a different conversation. That was a career altering decision.

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Where did those oddsmakers have the Jags and Rams last year? Each year is different.

To be fair, I looked it up. Jags were 80:1, Rams 100:1. They also were the two teams that came out of nowhere. So, perhaps that's the Redskins this year. If you think that, go drop $100 down at a sports book in Vegas. You'll get a great return if it hits.

(there's a reason the odds are so high, though)

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Full Free Agency is being done signing free agents, maybe waiting until after the second wave (that always happens after the draft) to judge. We are still reaching out to players, trying to sign them.

That's arguably the fourth wave. The NFL is entering the second wave in the next day or two, going after the guys who didn't get swept up in the tampering period/first couple of day insanity.

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There is a reason that you have your job and the Redskins FO has theirs.

Obviously in their mind, trading a 3rd and a slot Corner for a Pro Bowl QB outweighed any option for the drafts QBs.

You can gripe about it for the rest of your life, but it happened. 

giphy.gif

Lol the Redskins FO should not have their jobs.  That is the reason we are in this mess.

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Jags and Rams have stellar defenses.  We do not.

Before the 2017 season, no one was anointing either defense the title “Stellar”. 

You really have no clue what is going to happen. You are just going of what you have known to be true in the past, which I cannot blame you for. But when will you believe? When Snyder sells the team? When Allen and Gruden are fired. We have been down this road so many times before. This is the most stable this franchise has been since the SB days (don’t confuse stable with infallible) and for some reason fans just want to blow the whole thing up. I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Before the 2017 season, no one was anointing either defense the title “Stellar”. 

You really have no clue what is going to happen. You are just going of what you have known to be true in the past, which I cannot blame you for. But when will you believe? When Snyder sells the team? When Allen and Gruden are fired. We have been down this road so many times before. This is the most stable this franchise has been since the SB days (don’t confuse stable with infallible) and for some reason fans just want to blow the whole thing up. I don’t get it.

Because what is the point of being stable if your ceiling is 8-8 or 9-7 with a first round out in the playoffs?  

The fact that we are continuing with this "stability" is why I'm so mad.  If we aren't competing for a Super Bowl we should be rebuilding.  

You point out the Jags and Rams, but both of those teams were REALLY bad for several years, giving them multiple high first round picks.  We've never done that because we refuse to rebuild.  

If you don't agree fine, but I refuse to be happy with mediocrity simply because Bruce Allen has to limp this team along to save his job.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Because what is the point of being stable if your ceiling is 8-8 or 9-7 with a first round out in the playoffs?  

The fact that we are continuing with this "stability" is why I'm so mad.  If we aren't competing for a Super Bowl we should be rebuilding.  

You point out the Jags and Rams, but both of those teams were REALLY bad for several years, giving them multiple high first round picks.  We've never done that because we refuse to rebuild.  

If you don't agree fine, but I refuse to be happy with mediocrity simply because Bruce Allen has to limp this team along to save his job.  

You would rather be bad for several years and try to rebuild on a regular basis that be consistently good (mediocre as you put it) and try to build upon the progress that has been made.

Are you Vinny Ceratto?

Just now, Dashing202 said:

He might be good he might not who knows . 

You literally just said:

34 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Let's be patient .. more and more I'm starting to think Doug Williams is in full control.

If he's not good and in charge, then the team is somewhat screwed, yes? If he's not in charge, it doesn't matter.

Archived