The Official Michigan Wolverines Thread

1King

33 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

There were a couple times where Speight repeated exactly what Pep told him. Like he didn't know what to say to his teammates without Pep telling him.

I will say that is also a part of the games. After a series the first thing he does as a QB is go to the phone to talk to Pep. So we don’t know what The QB would of said to his guys if he didn’t speak to Pep.  It’s reasons why OCs or DCs leave the box, so they can communicate better with the players instead of relying on someone else to do it. 

Also some guys are just not natural leaders. It’s why JTB got so much leash from Meyer, he was such a great leader that it’s extremely hard to replace a guy like that 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Grant Newsome has officially retired and Shea Patterson has officially been named the starter for the season opener

damn, after seeing him in the All or Nothing, I was hoping he would be able to make the come back. Thats a damn shame.

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Feel awful for Grant but hopefully he gets his degree and can make the transition as painlessly as possible.

Now we begin the game of "who looks to transfer if Shea has the juice".

MCCAFFREY, maybe goes to Stanford to pick up where his brother left off? That be my only guess for the game. 

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

MCCAFFREY, maybe goes to Stanford to pick up where his brother left off? That be my only guess for the game. 

Probably not the QB that transfers. 

Most indications are that Shea thinks he's good enough to be one and done. Based off what we've seen from him so far at Ole Miss, that's not really realistic, but his mind may be made up unless he has a disastrous season. If that's the case, it's possible a QB doesn't leave this year, since the battle basically opens back up again, but it's also possible a guy like Peters can graduate in 3 years and have 2 years left elsewhere if he feels that's the best move.

18 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Oof WR group looking mighty thin right now.

That's the only issue when you have some young guys showing major potential.  Black, DPJ, and Nico Collins have all had great camps from all accounts.  So a guy like Crawford transfers out because he doesn't want to be the #4 guy on the outside as a junior.  Now the injury hits and he probably would have been the first guy off the bench.

If another injury hits the outside WR, I am guessing we see some more TE heavy packages.  Probably with Gentry and Eubanks split out wide in an outside WR role.  I think they are both good enough athletes to do it.  It's not ideal but two outside WR going down would be pretty worst case right now.