Upgrading secondary over Pass Rush?

Burnett42

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What use of RBs? 

In the pass game. Blocking is important, but we are ignoring another asset. The screen game can still be effective, but defenses have become too good at diagnosing that. Even with Montgomery, a former WR, we never looked to isolate him or use him out of the backfield. I hope that this years playoffs and the addition of Philbin will wake up this ignored part of our offense. It also can't hurt Adams, Jordy and Co. if we give the defense something else to think about. But this is a defensive thread so we can look to discuss this elsewhere

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

The one thing I can't get out of my head is the use of RB's in the passing game during the playoffs. It was the first thing I noticed during the first weekend of games and it continued throughout. I really think this could be the next evolution. It's yet another way of saying  "I don't care if you have Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor, we're not going to let you sack our 30 million dollar QB." Offenses are becoming so efficient with pre-snap reads and early recognition, maybe the smart teams are going to further exploit the "checkdown" as a way to keep your QB upright and stretch the defense horizontally. Let's face it, there were some teams in the playoffs that did some damage with less than stellar WR's and RB's seem to be the common denominator. Finding the next Tony Gonzales may transition to finding the next James White, and I think it's one more thing we are going to have to deal with.

So the question to you guys is, if I'm not completely off my rocker, how would this affect CB vs Edge ? I have no problem admitting that I'm not an X's and O's guy. 

Would we see trends to more zone coverage ?  Obviously, the faster LB thing has already started, but are we going to see that with Edge guys as well ? More Safeties playing LB is something we are seeing as well. 

I would love to hear your thoughts

This has been an issue for a few years with Rodgers/MM.  

MM speaks of the "explosive" plays and how that often translates to success in getting points.  Rodgers seems to follow in step with that as he will seemingly bypass an underneath route that is open waiting for a deep route.  

On 2/17/2018 at 1:21 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

They got cut for a reason.  I don't like it either, but I understand it. 

Davis was cut because he was on last year of deal, didn't want to play through an injury which he thought really limited him, got cut, had the surgery so he couldn't play for another team since he wasn't recovered.

I'd be sniffing around davis.  He's a good outside corner who plays big and can cover the big guys.

Honestly guys, I'm more in the veteran who doesn't expect a big post-rookie contract contract boat.  It's a pipe dream hoping for one of these 24-26 year old cornerbacks.  Even if we're aggressive, it still takes two to tango, and equal dollars in Los Angeles, Miami, Jacksonville, Texas and so on will be picked ten times faster than Green Bay, Wisconsin.  This is a fact that is true regardless of any argument to the contrary and regardless of who is our GM.  Players don't want to play for Green Bay or Buffalo if it's the same amount of money.  Aaron Rodgers only marginally counters this.  Less now than before his second year essentially lost to injury.  Especially for defensive players.  It's one thing to expect a receiver or tight end to sign with Green Bay.  They get to catch passes from Rodgers.  It's another thing for a defensive player. 

Morris Claiborne is a guy I'd really like for us to sign.  I wanted us to sign him last year, too.  If it was up to me, we would re-sign House, sign Claiborne, then see if we get lucky in the draft in rounds 1-4 and take a corner if they're the best or close to best player available. 

King
Claiborne
Randall
House
Rollins

You could do a lot worse as a team. 

20 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

@cannondale, I asked, "what use of RBs" because I've complained for a while how little Rodgers uses our running backs. 

Is that down to Rodgers, McCarthy or both?

I honestly don't know.

Back on topic its clear both need reinforcing (pass rush and secondary). I would be more inclined to address the secondary by bringing in a veteran via FA and look at addressing the pass rush more through the draft. Teams always need pass rush so they don't let it go freely and when it comes up on the market proven pass rushers they tend to be expensive.

How much should (veteran) free agency direct the draft ? You can get short and even medium term fixes in veteran free agency. However rookies (the higher picks, in the first three rounds), if they advance as you hope, can be both relatively cheap AND long term additions.

For me, it's a mix and match answer. It's ok in the short term to plug holes so that premium draft picks can be spent elsewhere, but in the longer term those 'plug and play' positions should also be given prime picks.

At the moment, WR and CB look like two of the better positions for a veteran addition. I'd still like high picks there soon though, preferably this year.

13 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

How much should (veteran) free agency direct the draft ? You can get short and even medium term fixes in veteran free agency. However rookies (the higher picks, in the first three rounds), if they advance as you hope, can be both relatively cheap AND long term additions.

For me, it's a mix and match answer. It's ok in the short term to plug holes so that premium draft picks can be spent elsewhere, but in the longer term those 'plug and play' positions should also be given prime picks.

At the moment, WR and CB look like two of the better positions for a veteran addition. I'd still like high picks there soon though, preferably this year.

That really depends on the age of the "Veteran".  A player just coming off their rookie deal that has 4-5 years of experience can be a 3-4+ year player on the 2nd contract....vs.... a player on the other side of 30 that is getting their 3rd contract.  

On 2/22/2018 at 11:29 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

As it's been discussed ad nauseam, the number of quality pass rushers available in FA is few and far between.  And the few that manage to make it to FA tend to get overpaid, case in point Olivier Vernon.  Even if you look at last year's FA class, two of the highest paid pass rushers were John Simon and Jabaal Sheard.  It's just not a viable option to improve your team.  If you're looking to improve your pass rush, it's going to come almost exclusively through the draft.

New thing I'd add to this conversation is 'look at what the 2019 roster would be like' at CB and OLB.

We'll have to see if Gute picks up an OLB or CB in free agency as that may change #1 draft pick thinking.  Assuming nothing changes and we're on the clock, because we DO have king, randall, Rollins...if a CB and pass rusher graded out equally, a reason I'd advocate for pass rusher is that right now CMIII's future after 2018 is unclear and Perry continues to be injured.  We need a OLB in the wings ready to go in 2019 if CMIII or NP aren't and others haven't stepped up (which is the case now).  We have more options at CB or can fill in any gaps better there.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

As it's been discussed ad nauseam, the number of quality pass rushers available in FA is few and far between.  And the few that manage to make it to FA tend to get overpaid, case in point Olivier Vernon.  Even if you look at last year's FA class, two of the highest paid pass rushers were John Simon and Jabaal Sheard.  It's just not a viable option to improve your team.  If you're looking to improve your pass rush, it's going to come almost exclusively through the draft.

Not sure if you thought I was pushing a vet pass-rusher agenda. I wasn't. I don't disagree with you that there is little to nothing worth chasing at that position, wheras at WR and CB there are at least some veteran options.

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Not sure if you thought I was pushing a vet pass-rusher agenda. I wasn't. I don't disagree with you that there is little to nothing worth chasing at that position, wheras at WR and CB there are at least some veteran options.

The thread was about CBs and EDGE, so I figured that's where you were going with it.  Even then, is a veteran WR really going to be worth the money?  In a situation where we sign a WR, we're likely releasing Randall Cobb so you have to add the $3M of dead cap we incur with him into part of the FA signing.  At what point does it cost too much money?  $3M, $6M, etc. for a FA WR plus the $3M for the Cobb dead hit?  Between that and the history we have of finding productive WRs in the draft, I think it's unlikely we sign any noteworthy WR FAs.

Archived