Cincinnati Reds Thread - Elly De La Cruz is good at baseball

THE DUKE

Tyler Mahle shut down a very good Braves lineup spoiling their opening day, that's good to see. 

Joey Votto is a North American Treasure.  If you were lucky enough to see his inning mic'd up, you know.

I still think Santillan should be in the roation, but they used him to close out the Braves for the win, possibly a new closer?

• 1 month later...

And after starting out the season as hot garbage, they look somewhat competitive lately.  Really wish they had put together a team that could make a run before Votto retired. Bad seasons are always disappointing,  but even more in the twilight of the career of one of our all time greats.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, Beck Bristow said:

So many shortstops!  We've got some good pitching and infielders in the minors, but I think we need a couple in the outfield right away.

This year and next year are just build years anyway.

Always easier to move a guy from SS to 2B/3B/LF/RF/CF/1B then finding a true SS.  Can never have enough Pitchers, Shortstops, or Catchers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I start this, the Reds are trying to avoid losing their 100th game. Tued 2-2 entering the 8th. I know it's a little old, but that Luis Castillo contract is frustrating as can be. I understand we aren't a world series threat, but you have to keep a franchise cornerstone, especially on an affordable contract. It's basically like Moustakas was a bad signing and covid happened, so they paid years to take half their expensive contracts and turned to being awful for a few years. Drafting high in baseball means less than any of the other major sports. It also kills fan interest. It's infuriating.  Having Castillo, Winker and Suarez would add about 30 million to next years payroll.  You can't convince me it's not worth keeping them. We got some good prospects, but you can find a balance. This is no fun.

Reds won, still sitting at 99 losses.

• 8 months later...

At the halfway point, Reds are 43-38 and in first place in the NL Central.  Not too many people saw that coming, myself included.  Just getting tremendous value from young players we didn't expect it from like Steer, Benson, Friedl, and Fraley, and top prospects like Elly, McClain, and Abbott are performing as well.  If they can stay in the hunt until Greene and Lodolo get healthy in early August, they have a shot at making the playoffs.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Elly De La Cruz is good at baseball