Cincinnati Reds Thread - Elly De La Cruz is good at baseball

THE DUKE

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Reds won the draft lottery and instead of picking in the teens they will be picking 2nd overall after finishing 2023 with a 82-80 record.

Consensus is college bats at the top of the draft with either slugging Wake Forest 1B Nick Kurtz or West Virginia SS/2B/CF JJ Wetherholt as the clear top guys.  MLP Pipeline puts 70 grade on Wehterholt's hit tool, and a 60 run which shows how he'd likely slot into CF in the Reds system with Elly and McClain locking down the middle infield for the next 3-8 years.  Kurtz is pretty much 1B only, but has a 60 grade on his hit and a 65 grade on his power.  Both walk more than they strike out and both had 1.300+ OPS last year with Wetherholt hitting .449/.517/.787 and Kurtz .353/.527/.784 (with 24 HRs). 

This offseason the Reds have quietly made some moves to bolster their pitching depth.  Frankie Montas, Nick Martinez, Emelio Pagan, and recently Brent Suter as well as bringing back Buck Farmer.  Not splashy deals, but with all the injuries last years and the inevitable injuries to pitching that come every year, this is as deep as I can remember the rotation and bullpen candidates have been in quite a while.

• 1 month later...

Lots to be excited about this year. 7 deep rotation, a couple of major league caliber relievers in the minors and not enough positions for the players we have. The only downside is my favorite Red is missing, but the team looks like it should be great!

• Like 1

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Opening Day, where everyone is tied for 1st

Matt McClain had shoulder surgery a couple days ago.  They say they hope he can return this season, but I'm certainly not counting on it.  Coupled with Noelvi Marte getting suspended, that infield depth got thin in a hurry.  Good thing we held onto Jonathan India.  My guess at today's lineup:

1. Jonathan India, 2B
2. Elly De La Cruz, SS
3. Spencer Steer, LF
4. Christian Encarnacion-Strand, 1B
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
6. Jake Fraley, RF
7. Tyler Stephenson, C
8. Stuart Fairchild, CF
9. Will Benson, DH

Frankie Montas getting the opening day start over Hunter Green was a little surprising.

• THE DUKE changed the title to Cincinnati Reds Thread - Elly De La Cruz is good at baseball