• Philly
    • Milwaukee
    • Denver
    • Minnesota
    • LA Lakers
    • Boston
    • Other

Just now, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Since the term Unicorn is the cool thing to use when describing a truly special player I see 6 unicorns on that list (Kyrie in Boston, Giannis in Milwaulkee, Jokic in Denver, KAT in Minnesota) but only one of those teams has 2 unicorns (Embiid, Simmons) in addition to a player whose developing nicely into Toni Kukoc type player  (Dario Saric), and another #1 pick who is working his way back from injury.

Give me the Sixers.

Kyrie is not a unicorn.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Yet no team would even give the Sixers a second round pick for him. The Mavs could have gotten him for nothing and chose not to. They could have gotten him instead of Noel and chose not to.

Yessir. Which is why I'm obviously not speaking for the team. Just giving my own opinion. Let's see what happens this offseason though. The Mavs have a lot of cap room. I wonder who they go after.

2 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

In the sense he's a special player. He' obviously not a 6'10 guy who can do it all but he's an ALL-NBA caliber guy.

Right, but that's not what a unicorn is. It's a player that defies a traditional skillset for their size.

Just watched some more of Okafor's tape. He does some things I'd really like on a team, but he's gotta play within a system more. He can force it (although sometimes good things happen, such as a made bucket, or a trip to the line), but he can also fail to make the extra pass or just let the possession go on a little longer. Obviously not an above-the-rim player, so any kind of contributions he makes on defense and/or on the boards are going to be based off of positioning, strength, quickness, speed, and youth. But I like that he has post-moves, some range on his shot, can put the ball on the floor, and generally understands the flow of an offense. 

Obviously he can be a huge dummy, but I'd take a flyer on him for sure. Maybe Carlisle can coach some of the stupidity out of him. He's done it many times before. Depends on the price though.

However, like we concluded, I just don't see the Mavs actually doing it.

1 minute ago, the lone star said:

Just watched some more of Okafor's tape. He does some things I'd really like on a team, but he's gotta play within a system more. He can force it (although sometimes good things happen, such as a made bucket, or a trip to the line), but he can also fail to make the extra pass or just let the possession go on a little longer. Obviously not an above-the-rim player, so any kind of contributions he makes on defense and/or on the boards are going to be based off of positioning, strength, quickness, speed, and youth. But I like that he has post-moves, some range on his shot, can put the ball on the floor, and generally understands the flow of an offense. 

Obviously he can be a huge dummy, but I'd take a flyer on him for sure. Maybe Carlisle can coach some of the stupidity out of him. He's done it many times before. Depends on the price though.

However, like we concluded, I just don't see the Mavs actually doing it.

He doesn't understand the flow of an offense. He's an absolute ball-stopper. He is always out of position, fairly soft, slow, and lazy. He has no chance of succeeding in the NBA if he doesn't change the laziness. None.

10 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

He doesn't understand the flow of an offense. He's an absolute ball-stopper. He is always out of position, fairly soft, slow, and lazy. He has no chance of succeeding in the NBA if he doesn't change the laziness. None.

I can see it both ways. Ball-Stopper and Ball-Hog, yeah, but I've also seen plays where he makes the right call to attack, set back up, post-up, etc.. He's a headcase for sure. Mixed Bag of things. Not consistent enough at all. But I'd take a flyer on basically anything right now, lol.

Odds are the Mavs draft a Big Man and just try to coach him up.

8 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I can see it both ways. Ball-Stopper and Ball-Hog, yeah, but I've also seen plays where he makes the right call to attack, set back up, post-up, etc.. He's a headcase for sure. Mixed Bag of things. Not consistent enough at all. But I'd take a flyer on basically anything right now, lol.

Odds are the Mavs draft a Big Man and just try to coach him up.

He makes the right decision to attack sometimes because he only ever tries to attack. Very rarely does he move the ball when he should.

Just now, the lone star said:

lol. The one handed flicks while falling down really annoyed me.

He's terrible. He has no business being in a rotation. He's Greg Monroe if Monroe couldn't pass or rebound at all. And I don't mean if Monroe weren't good at passing, I mean if he wasn't allowed to do it.

Just now, utley4568 said:

He's terrible. He has no business being in a rotation. He's Greg Monroe if Monroe couldn't pass or rebound at all. And I don't mean if Monroe weren't good at passing, I mean if he wasn't allowed to do it.

Monroe was another guy I kinda liked. Obviously not on defense or with his jump shot, but because he can pass, rebound, dribble a little, set screens, etc..

Monroe > Okafor fasho. I really wanted Carlisle to coach Monroe into being more disciplined. Carlisle also coaches guys into shooting better, so I would have liked that a lot.

Oh well.

Hard not to put Philly at the top, I think Embiid and simmons alone make them the best core and if Fultz is legit, watch out!

Next would be Denver, Jokic, Harris and Murray who are the building blocks of a offensive juggernaut. Could even add Lyles to the list tbh.

Boston is uber talented too but Kylie turns 26 in a month so I decided to rank them third. The core of Tatum and Brown is a nice balance of offense and defense but they lack playmaking unlike Philly and Denver.

Archived