How do we make cap space? Who should be cut?

wackywabbit

So, what odds do you give to the cut candidates?

Brandon Carr
2018 cost: $6M 
my guess: 45% will be cut

Maclin
2018 cost: $5M 
my guess: 85% will be cut

Austin Howard
2018 cost: $4M 
my guess: 35% will be cut

Danny Woodhead
2018 cost: $2.55M
my guess: 25% will be cut

Lardarius Webb
2018 cost: $2.15M
my guess: 60% will be cut

Breshad Perriman
2018 cost: $1.6M
my guess: 20% will be cut

9 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

negative on Carr and Howard, positive on everybody else to get cut. typical Ravens moves, cut em and offer to rejoin at reduced costs or find your luck elsewhere.

Positive on Woodhead and Perriman to be cut for a couple $M, when we have virtually no offensive threats?

Carr is the really interesting one. $6m is a lot for a guy who may not be a top 3 corner on the team if Jimmy and Young comes back right. But, if we lose him, we'll probably end up with someone terrible getting picked on in December. OTOH pretty much every team ends up with a replacement level corner on the field by the end of the season, and it doesn't collapse their defense like it does for us under Pees.

Slight lean to staying. But we will have a huge relative investment in the secondary.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Positive on Woodhead and Perriman to be cut for a couple $M, when we have virtually no offensive threats?

What did Woodhead and Perriman offer us last year on offense? Literally nothing. I might take a flyer on Woodhead, but at this point he doesn't offer anything more than Buck Allen, and Buck Allen is a much better runner.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Carr is the really interesting one. $6m is a lot for a guy who may not be a top 3 corner on the team if Jimmy and Young comes back right. But, if we lose him, we'll probably end up with someone terrible getting picked on in December. OTOH pretty much every team ends up with a replacement level corner on the field by the end of the season, and it doesn't collapse their defense like it does for us under Pees.

Slight lean to staying. But we will have a huge relative investment in the secondary.

I can't put a price tag on his ability to stay healthy and reliable. It's seriously something this team desperately needs.

Ravens have loads of young, unexperienced guys in their front 7. i am all for investing cap in the sec (or keeping it as it is rather) this year for quality play to assist the young guys up front and give them just the second more they may need to apply some pressure. keep the seondary and the depth you have there a strength of the team rather than cutting down on it and try to strengthen other parts of your squad with unknown results.

Yeah, I’m against cutting Brandon Carr. We’ve struggled as a team with durability and as a player that’s his strength. Outside of getting toasted by speed, surrounding him with guys like Tavon Young should allow us to put him in better positions to succeed.

But if they were to cut him, I wouldn’t be outraged... only because you could start to SEE the decline in his physical ability this season. Carr could even see it and that’s why he probably really felt some kind of way after Brown torched him for over 200 yds. It wasn’t just a bad game, he was outmatched in every physical way... and as a competitor I can only imagine what that has to feel like.

DB424 thats true but still wouldn't you be just a bit pi*sed at your coach for giving you no help whatsoever and be toasted time and time again?

Pees basically just gave him the middle finger all day and watched him getting burned. i imagine as a senior you are not taking that too well, amid knowing your weakness (ie. decreasing speed)

40 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

DB424 thats true but still wouldn't you be just a bit pi*sed at your coach for giving you no help whatsoever and be toasted time and time again?

Pees basically just gave him the middle finger all day and watched him getting burned. i imagine as a senior you are not taking that too well, amid knowing your weakness (ie. decreasing speed)

I might feel some kind of way about that for sure, but I’m just speaking to him needing to have dinner with a homeless man to get back his mojo. That’s a low place to be at.

Losing because you didn’t prepare well or play your best is one thing. Not being given help is one thing. But to be abused that badly goes beyond simply needing help. He could see everything he needed to do to stop Brown, but he just couldn’t do it.

14 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

so what you're saying is AB broke him to a point he will never gain confidence in his ability again or rather just maybe Carr alone isn't enough to cover AB which shoud be common knowledge?

I think the latter is what people are saying here. Solid #2 CB's aren't going to cover the best WR in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

so what you're saying is AB broke him to a point he will never gain confidence in his ability again or rather just maybe Carr alone isn't enough to cover AB which shoud be common knowledge?

I’m not saying either. I think you’re trying to build some sort of strawman.

I simply point out that Brandon Carr used to be much more physically gifted. And after this past season, his physical gifts left him to a point where he started to doubt himself.

This isn’t me speaking, this is Brandon Carr per his interview. Whether Brown toasted him or Pees refused to give him support is irrelevant to my point.

My point is he’s getting old. He’s durable and smart, but old nonetheless. Therefore if the Ravens cut him and that helps us sign a big name free agent, I’m not going to be upset about letting Carr go due to his limitations... that could theoretically get worse.

Archived