Blake Bortles extended through 2020 season

.Buzz

Blake knows TCs not sold on him he told the guys at bar stool when they asked him what was the last thing TC said to him. Blake said TC walked up to him in the locker room after the AFC title game and told him 'You had a good first half..' and he said TC just walked off.. ? TC didn't say you had a good game he just told him you played good in the first half TC is always straight to the point.

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We'll see as more details come out i guess...but seems like essentially, all they did was trade an inability to cut Bortles next year, in exchange for a slightly lower cap hit this year.

With the current situation, i'm not madly in anger with it.  But i also kinda hate it.  On the one hand...i think we all gathered that they were going to roll with Blake as the undisputed starting QB this year, one way or another.  It helps to get his salary down to something a tiny bit less excessive for the year.  Hopefully helps make it possible to bring back both ARob and Colvin.  And if Bortles turns out to somehow in fact not actually suck despite all evidence to the contrary...you've got him at a salary level that will keep him from absolutely nuking your salary cap structure a year from now.

Realistically, once Alex Smith went off the market...this is where it was headed.  Cousins is going to absolutely crater any team's salary cap for the next half dozen years.  There's nothing else out there on that front.  In the draft...maybe Rosen has the "polish" to step in and start for a team with right now aspirations?  But it's a total gamble, and other than that...Mayfield and Jackson might have an ability to step in and have an early impact with their running ability if you want to run a completely dumbed down offense around them.  But there's serious limitations in that, same as with Bortles.  Darnold looks like starting over again with Bortles all over again.

Anyone we grab beyond that (including Josh Allen) is going to be at least a year away.  Outside of him, we're just talking projects...multi-year projects probably, and with limited starter upside at that.  And next years draft looks like a leaking sack of garbage.  Either way, you're talking about a project that will still be a ??? into that second "guaranteed" year with this Bortles contract rework.  Short of a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott miracle...We're not finding a step-in-and-start QB in the draft, better than Bortle who will for sure be ready in 2018 or the beginning of 2019.  Before this extension is presumably as easy cut/club option type thing.

But it's still depressing.  This team feels so close to something special.  But we're stuck shuffling around money trying to figure out how to plan around our wildly inconsistent and often totally inadequate QB.  I love him as a personality and everything...he just has way too many bad games to just brush off.  But he's our guy for 2018, and probably 2019.  He's our guy during this entire potentially special "elite defense" window.  Yikes.

11 hours ago, VLoo said:

I am all the way here for this. Lamar doubters and haters, of which there are many, please miss me.

This is the absolute worst scenario imo.

I can see Lamar coming in and having some early success.  Plenty of guys have done that before.  But you're going to have to run an offense tailored specifically to what he does and the way he uses his legs to make things easier on his arm.  You could pull off a Niners with Kaepernick style run.  Who knows how long that lasts, especially with Jackson's small frame...but if you want to push all the chips to the center of the table...that's your hand to play.

But if that's the plan...why tie $18M behind your back with a Bortles extension for this year and next?  Just draft Lamar, bring him in and start him and build your offense around that.  Ride it until the inevitable injury sidelines him and ruins your season.  Is he going to really learn to become an actual pocket passer if he sits for a year or two?  If Jackson is going to be your guy...he's going to be your guy early, and you're going to want as much spare cash as possible to surround with with talent on both sides of the ball.

Doing this Bortles thing and then drafting Jackson basically just looks like setting fire to the first two years of a short-lived QBs rookie deal for no good reason.  Those rookie deal years that are absolutely imperative to cap-world success in this day and age of absurdist QB contracts for inexperienced or unproven guys one-upping each other by the day they hit the end of their rookie contracts.

The only thing that really makes sense in light of this doubling-down on Bortles contract, is to draft some QB project to tinker with and play backup...and ride the Bortles rollercoaster for 2 more years.

32 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We now have 33M after Blake's deal.

Sitton.. please! March 10. is my bday and the last 2 bdays i've been quite happy with the gifts i've received I really only wanted Bouye last year.. I like to keep my expectations low and see what happens.

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Was he bad or just a cap casualty?

He was a cap casualty not that it means much but he was still rated a top 5 run blocking guard last year by PFF. We need road graders up front and I feel like he would be an upgrade inside maybe even motivate him al la Wisniewski this year for the Eagles. Because we all know Ski didn't play as well as he did this year at any point in time he spent here.

Archived