If Miami cuts Suh

rob_shadows

On 3/7/2018 at 8:56 AM, Louis Friend said:

Except there was a third and fourth option. They could have used the transition tag on him, or worked the phones on trade possibilities. Even paying a FA DE significant money, would be much less than what we are now paying Ansah.

Seems to me, using your philosophy, we might as well just dump anybody who gets injured and just start all over from scratch, if Ansah returns to form, we are a contender for 17 million dollars, if he doesn't we will not be a playoff team and be out 17 million dollars. If we had released him, likely we will struggle to even win 7 games, with no shot at being competitive and that is your solution to building a winner. No thanks, 

I am sure the team doctors gave him a thumbs up and said he was completely healed before they gave him 17 million, so the risk has already been minimized and we go into next season with a shot to compete. What FA has the potential of an Ansah = none and if he returns to form and he hated that you tagged him, he is gone next year for nothing.

And if you trade him, you likely get a 2nd round or 3rd round pick and if he stays healthy, they suddenly become a serious contender while the Lions fall into the pit??? Injuries are a part of football, thankfully, modern medicine fixes most of them, you do not dump a star because of injuries, you pay him and hope he returns to form, or you remain in competition for last place for a decade or 2.

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Seems to me, using your philosophy, we might as well just dump anybody who gets injured and just start all over from scratch, if Ansah returns to form, we are a contender for 17 million dollars, if he doesn't we will not be a playoff team and be out 17 million dollars. If we had released him, likely we will struggle to even win 7 games, with no shot at being competitive and that is your solution to building a winner. No thanks.

Yes, that's exactly what I said, except for everything else I discussed. Try again. 

I don't think a healthy Ansah makes us a contender rather than a struggling 7 win team, even if you just converted his cap hit to dead money. And that's what... 17.5 mil? 17.5 mil is a lot of freedom. We could sign 2 high level players with that much money.

I'd like to add that we're talking about a healthy Ansah, which we've seen for less time than injured Ansah. Advancements in medical science aren't a good enough guarantee on a player's recovery. Many players retire due to injury every year, and far more suffer injuries that permanently impact their future performance and ability. On our own team, Deandre Levy would be a perfect example. The guy was an elite MLB whose body gave out.

I was against franchising Ansah in the first place, but I completely understand the reasonings behind it. We still have a large amount of cap left to improve key areas. Ansah fills a glaring need on a 1 year contract so his recovery and play can be examined, and we aren't locked up long term. We pay up front and protect ourselves down the road. The market is thin and better options aren't obviously available... and even if they were, stacking the D-line isn't exactly a problem.

I don't, however, think 'fear of missing out' is how a franchise is run. The cost of free agents vs. the wins they provide is notoriously inflated.

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't think a healthy Ansah makes us a contender rather than a struggling 7 win team, even if you just converted his cap hit to dead money. And that's what... 17.5 mil? 17.5 mil is a lot of freedom. We could sign 2 high level players with that much money.

I'd like to add that we're talking about a healthy Ansah, which we've seen for less time than injured Ansah. Advancements in medical science aren't a good enough guarantee on a player's recovery. Many players retire due to injury every year, and far more suffer injuries that permanently impact their future performance and ability. On our own team, Deandre Levy would be a perfect example. The guy was an elite MLB whose body gave out.

I was against franchising Ansah in the first place, but I completely understand the reasonings behind it. We still have a large amount of cap left to improve key areas. Ansah fills a glaring need on a 1 year contract so his recovery and play can be examined, and we aren't locked up long term. We pay up front and protect ourselves down the road. The market is thin and better options aren't obviously available... and even if they were, stacking the D-line isn't exactly a problem.

I don't, however, think 'fear of missing out' is how a franchise is run. The cost of free agents vs. the wins they provide is notoriously inflated.

^ This. Nowhere have I stated that Ansah sucks, cut him. I said he's not worth $17 million for me. Not when we are giving that much money to a guy who had one great year, three seasons ago, and cannot stay healthy. I would have rather spent $17 million more in free agency, signed 2 or 3 guys to fill the many holes I see on the team. Especially since Ansah at this point is a 1 year rental who will be a FA again next offseason.

I'd rather pay Suh $15 million to come back then to spend $17 million on Ansah.

Archived