An Actual Realistic Mock Draft - Post Combine

taylor made

Just now, oldman9er said:

Confusion. 

So, if the FO hands out big contracts, they are splurging recklessly because they are desperate to save their jobs.

If they don't spend much, they suck too. 

Oh wait... got it. I'm catching on slowly.  :P

I get that you're new here, so I'm willing to let it slide. A bit.

So, a history lesson:

• Chris Baker was a homegrown talent and a decent 3-4 end for us. The front office let him walk last year without bothering to offer him a contract.
  • They then turned around and gave Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee $20M+ deals each. Neither player had played in a 3-4 the previous year (and McGee never had).
  • Shockingly, they both stunk up the joint (it wasn't like some of us predicted this immediately when they were signed).
  • Another example from last year: they had two 1K receivers in house. Both were free agents. Neither got an offer. They then ponied up $6M for Terrelle Pryor, a converted quarterback ... who promptly bombed out. The Pryor signing is a bit less damaging since it was only a one year contract, but still, letting both Jackson and Garcon walk was severely detrimental to the team.

Oh, and the one reclamation success they did have last year? That would be Zach Brown ... who looks like is going to walk right out the door.

So, it isn't a matter of "they spend -> they're losers / they don't spend -> they're losers." It's the fact that this front office can basically not evaluate talent to save their lives, and as such they let good players walk out the door and then panic with replacements.

There is a reason I call the GM "the Moron." It's because it is an apt title.

14 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Confusion. 

So, if the FO hands out big contracts, they are splurging recklessly because they are desperate to save their jobs.

If they don't spend much, they suck too. 

Oh wait... got it. I'm catching on slowly.  :P

It has nothing to do with just spending. If they went out and gave Allen Robinson $18M a year I'd be disappointed even though I'd like the team to sign Robinson. It has to be sensible. There's a happy medium to all of it. You can't just call up Robinsons agent and offer $5M a year and expect him to take it but you can't be stupid about it either and just offer him the moon. I hope that makes a little more sense.

Archived