Free Agency Tracker

VigilantZombie

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with this basically.  I mean I am not shocked we haven't signed a major FA, but I think it goes beyond letting the market settle.  I flat out don't expect them to sign anyone.

That last part is kind of silly.  Of course we will sign someone.  We will sign 2 or 3 players at some point.  Theyll just be low key signings, and a couple may not be until after the draft.

First of all, Tyrann Mathieu isn't middle of the road, nor is Tre Boston, just sayin'.

Zach Brown isn't middle of the road and would've been a solid addition.  

They're not adding a starter unless it's a 'premiere safety' at this point because really, there's no starters left on the roster.  Vince Williams and whomever we have left at ILB (or a rookie) is who is going to be starting at ILB in 2018.  There's NOT a lot of solid players left so let's not sell the market for what it is.

Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Tyrann Mathieu, Morgan Burnett, and Kenny Vaccaro, those are the safeties left worth signing.  Of those guys, Reid or Vaccaro are the only ones I think we might sign, but I highly doubt it.  As for ILB, the value is relative, 3-4 ILB isn't actually incredibly deep in this draft although LB in general is.  Evans and LVE imo are the only two imo even worth taking in the 1st round that may realistically be available to us.  Edmunds, who a lot of people have talked about, is going to be a liability imo when it comes to trying to 'man up' against Offensive linemen.

I think Timmons is the most likely signing and maybe Ross Cockrell.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

That last part is kind of silly.  Of course we will sign someone.  We will sign 2 or 3 players at some point.  Theyll just be low key signings, and a couple may not be until after the draft.

You might be right.  And if you mean "Touissant level low key" then I agree with you.  I don't expect us to sign any difference making players.

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

When is the last time the Steelers pick up a FA Starter? Mitchell? It's not what they do and it's worked out pretty well. I only expect depth to be addressed in FAs and really don't expect much out of that.   

I would love to grab the honey badger and see how that changes our secondary, but if the money is going to be crazy then we already know its not for us. The cost of just him could be the same as picking up Boston and Vaccaro combined. As much as I like the idea of getting Mathieu I would prefer landing a true ballhwak FS and a solid safety/slot cb. Not saying that's what happens but getting more bang for our buck is what I expect over the 1 big signing.

5 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I would love to grab the honey badger and see how that changes our secondary, but if the money is going to be crazy then we already know its not for us. The cost of just him could be the same as picking up Boston and Vaccaro combined. As much as I like the idea of getting Mathieu I would prefer landing a true ballhwak FS and a solid safety/slot cb. Not saying that's what happens but getting more bang for our buck is what I expect over the 1 big signing.

Tre Boston won't go for much less than Mathieu I think.  I'm telling you right now, the wish to land a "true ballhawking FS and a solid CB" isn't going to happen unless it's Eric Reid.

Right now Le'Veon Bell commands too much money to allow us to even consider Free Agency as an option.  When they finally give in and give him the 15+M/year he wants it'll break the bank for the next few seasons and God forbid if he gets injured again, it'll be money spent on nothing.

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'd be perfectly fine with Timmons and Evans starting and VW coming of the bench. That's a huge improvement over Spence and VW.    

I think you misunderstand me.  Vince Williams, imo, is the starter going into 2018 season.  Even if we sign Timmons, I think vince starts.  I have a strong feeling LVE and Evans won't be available when we pick

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I'd be perfectly fine with Timmons and Evans starting and VW coming of the bench. That's a huge improvement over Spence and VW.    

I would like that as well and honestly not sure VW isn't the starter of Timmons. I think it would be a very good rotation at the spot to help keep our level of play up. As for evans I really like him. I see some special qualities there and could see him having a big impact for us.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You might be right.  And if you mean "Touissant level low key" then I agree with you.  I don't expect us to sign any difference making players.

I still expect us to sign Timmons.

An OLB to replace Moats or maybe even bring Moats back.

As noted,  safeties havent been touched.  Lots to pick from, even if just a depth player.

1 minute ago, Big Snack said:

I would like that as well and honestly not sure VW isn't the starter of Timmons. I think it would be a very good rotation at the spot to help keep our level of play up. As for evans I really like him. I see some special qualities there and could see him having a big impact for us.

If Evans is there and he isn't the pick, there's a real issue.  If he is a pick, he's better than any ILB we could possibly have on the roster, he's the virtually guaranteed starter in week 1.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I still expect us to sign Timmons.

An OLB to replace Moats or maybe even bring Moats back.

As noted,  safeties havent been touched.  Lots to pick from, even if just a depth player.

Moats, Timmons, Cockrell.  Those are the players i expect us to sign

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Tre Boston won't go for much less than Mathieu I think.  I'm telling you right now, the wish to land a "true ballhawking FS and a solid CB" isn't going to happen unless it's Eric Reid.

Right now Le'Veon Bell commands too much money to allow us to even consider Free Agency as an option.  When they finally give in and give him the 15+M/year he wants it'll break the bank for the next few seasons and God forbid if he gets injured again, it'll be money spent on nothing.

we are going to agree to disagree on bostons contract. Unless Mathieu takes a sizeable paycut to play for a great team there will be a decent difference. As for Bell I have stated before that I want him on the tag this year and let him walk next year after we give him another 400 touches.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I think you misunderstand me.  Vince Williams, imo, is the starter going into 2018 season.  Even if we sign Timmons, I think vince starts.  I have a strong feeling LVE and Evans won't be available when we pick

I didn't mean it as a response to anything you posted. I was just commenting that that is a decent possibility.  No way VW should start over Timmons. As I've said before, Timmons has lost a step but could still out run VW with one leg tied behind his back. VW does not belong on the field as a starter. 

Just now, Big Snack said:

we are going to agree to disagree on bostons contract. Unless Mathieu takes a sizeable paycut to play for a great team there will be a decent difference. As for Bell I have stated before that I want him on the tag this year and let him walk next year after we give him another 400 touches.

To be clear, I expect Boston to be overpaid because of the lack of quality availability at safety.

I expect Tyrann Mathieu to sign with an AFC team not named Pittsburgh for somewhere around $12M/year

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I didn't mean it as a response to anything you posted. I was just commenting that that is a decent possibility.  No way VW should start over Timmons. As I've said before, Timmons has lost a step but could still out run VW with one leg tied behind his back. VW does not belong on the field as a starter. 

I agree with that but if Timmons or VW are starters, our Run Defense is going to still be a superior liability.

Archived