Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

47 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m trying to really hard to get as excited about Mayfield but I don’t think I could justify drafting him over Rosen or Darnold. I do agree Rosen’s concussions are scary, considering his upbringing. 

Mayfield has something special about him similar to how I felt about Watson last year (and I didn’t want to draft him at 6, I was wrong, we should have) and I love the chip on his shoulder, taking notes of which media outlets say he’s going to fail, etc. His accuracy and ball placement is excellent and his arm is much stronger than he gets credit for but in terms of mobility and athleticism I don’t think he stacks up to a guy like Wilson.

But if Darnold and Rosen are gone, give me Mayfield. Handcuff him to Josh McCown 12 hours a day and when he’s ready get him out there.

Side note: even though it’s 10M I’m glad we brought McCown back now (so long as we aren’t playing him until week 14) because he’s the perfect guy to show someone like Mayfield how to be a pro. Perfect.

I don't think Mayfield needs to be as athletic as Wilson to be successful. Mayfield is athletic enough for the way he plays the positions. 

I'd be fine with any of the 4 at this point. 

Have to say, the trade up looks like gold at the moment. Glad Macc had the guts to do it early. He got bashed in initial reports.

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think Mayfield needs to be as athletic as Wilson to be successful. Mayfield is athletic enough for the way he plays the positions. 

I'd be fine with any of the 4 at this point. 

Have to say, the trade up looks like gold at the moment. Glad Macc had the guts to do it early. He got bashed in initial reports.

I hope so, but the pass rush and linebackers is just so much faster in the NFL. I’ve watched a lot of tape on Mayfield and that’s really my main concern, can he improvise the way he does now at the next level. Not worried about his arm, accuracy, or even his attitude. 

Staying at 6 with hopes of drafting a QB was never ever a realistic option. I think after the Wentz and Watson attempts, Mac knew what he had to do. I’d rather give up the slew of 2’s than the 1 next year too so he made the right move. I still think he values Darnold the most and I wouldn’t be surprised if he made another attempt to get up higher. I just wonder how much higher he values him in comparison to the others. 

49 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I'm taking a look at the Pats draft history. I don't see a great drafting team. What they do well is they hit on their first round picks and sometimes on their second round picks. But their late round picks are not out of the ordinary. They'll get a guy here and there but I'm sure most teams do. 

There first round picks though. Spot on. They usually don't miss those. Crazy thing is they also usually go defense with their first round picks. In the Tom Brady and BB era, they literally have gone offense with their first pick (this could be their 2nd or 3rd round pick if they don't have a first) 5 times. 2 TE's including Ben Watson who was picked in the first round but after they picked Wilfork. They also drafted Solder and Mankins and Maroney.

Even before the BB era, they literally almost always go defense in the first. Kind of crazy to think.

The Patriots make hay getting free agents that get passed over. They also do well in trades. Particularly at receiver. 

Bill finds guys.  Look at his o-line.  None were top picks now that Solder is gone.  Trey Flowers was a 4th rounder, Butler was a UDFA, Edelman was a 7th rounder, etc.  

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Yup. It will take an arm and leg for the Bills to convince the Giants to trade back. I think at best the Bills move to the number 4 spot ahead of the Broncos. But even that I have my doubts. 

I see the Giants staying put and taking Darnold/Rosen/Allen.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

If the Browns trade the 1 or 4 then QB will go 1,2,3,4. I bet most of the people on this board that hated the trade we made with the Colts are happy now. i think we got a very good deal because 6 there would be no more QB left. I am so excited because all 4 QB (Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen) are going to be very good. The thought that we will get one is great.

I don't think the Browns trade either. They have an opportunity to take the best positional player in the draft if QBs go 1-2-3. I think the 4th QB comes off the board somewhere between picks 7-11. Just a guess

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think the Browns trade either. They have an opportunity to take the best positional player in the draft if QBs go 1-2-3. I think the 4th QB comes off the board somewhere between picks 7-11. Just a guess

I agree.  They stay put and they're guaranteed Barkley or Chubb (unless they covet someone else). 

56 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

I’d think if we evaluate someone miles above the others I don’t think we would hesistate to trade our 1st next year to go up to 1

doesnt mean Cleveland will bite

Someone was talking about this. It could happen if the Browns really covet Allen and we tell them we are taking Darnold. 

I think the risk of Giants drafting Allen or trading the pick to a team who wants Allen is too great for them to take that risk.

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Someone was talking about this. It could happen if the Browns really covet Allen and we tell them we are taking Darnold. 

I think the risk of Giants drafting Allen or trading the pick to a team who wants Allen is too great for them to take that risk.

Only way I think it happens is if the Browns like the 3 QBs relatively close and want to add another 1st round pick. Tho since it seems they’re only being reported as liking 2 I think it’s unlikely

13 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

Only way I think it happens is if the Browns like the 3 QBs relatively close and want to add another 1st round pick. Tho since it seems they’re only being reported as liking 2 I think it’s unlikely

Yeah we know there’s pretty much mutual disinterest with them and Rosen. Don’t see them putting themselves in any scenario that doesn’t guarantee Allen or Darnold.

Hypothetically how would you all feel if Mac went totally all in and gave up next years 1 to get up there though? (I would assume for Darnold or Allen)

They would really have to like someone to try and get to 1. Giving we already were not willing to go from 6 to 1, I doubt we make that move. In theory, the Browns asking price should come down a bit since they will still be near the top versus dropping back to 6.

The Bears traded away two 3rds and one 4th to go from 3 to 2. I say we stay put take the best available QB on our board. I'd be fine if they go OL the rest of the draft and sprinkle in an edge player and a running back. We really are crossing our fingers with this O-Line and hoping Wesley Johnson was the only reason why we had a poor line.

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah we know there’s pretty much mutual disinterest with them and Rosen. Don’t see them putting themselves in any scenario that doesn’t guarantee Allen or Darnold.

Hypothetically how would you all feel if Mac went totally all in and gave up next years 1 to get up there though? (I would assume for Darnold or Allen)

No thanks.

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I would assume we’d only do that if one guy outta the 3 is clearly our guy head and shoulders above the rest. In that case yea it’s hefty and Mac would be staking his job even more than now. But I would probably like the aggressive move ... especially if for Allen.

16 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Nope.  I'll take my chances on Rosen making it to 3.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

No thanks.

Have to agree. That number 1 pick is a big deal. We could get our future LT or Edge with that pick. Or trade back to replenish the 2nd round pick and still get a good starter. 

I look at our schedule and I see a team that is going to be something like 6-10 to 8-8. Meaning we likely will be picking between 8-15

Non Divisional Games: Den, Ind, Hou, Min, GB, @Cle, @Ten, @Jax, @Det, @Chi

Archived