Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

Yes 6'0 QBs can succeed, but the vast majority of the great QBs are around 6'4.  So for every Brees and Wilson, there are tons of short QBs who struggle to see the field and get balls swatted down. Which is what I saw at  the Senior bowl.

Based on sheer numbers, Rosen has a better chance of being a top 10 QB than Mayfield as there are more top 10 QBs that are 6'4 than there are 6'0 QBs. And your offense has to be catered around a short QB, because he can't see the middle of the field. 

Everything about Rosen screams future top 10 QB, except you have a question about his health and overrated questions about why he asks questions.  When we draft Mayfield, I won't be happy  I am just gonna pray that he ends up being good and Maccagnan better pray too cause its his job on the line with this one after what we gave up, he better land a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

How is he a "me" player?  

It's all about him. The celebrations, the antics. It screams "ME". Whenever he's involved in a big play, he's not going over to his teammates to congratulate them; he's running off on his own, doing god knows what, and making it about himself. Maybe his teammates like him, but I don't like that. It screams insecure. For a guy like that, I fear how he'll react when the going gets tough. Like, NFL tough. I just feel like he'll be the type of player that has his moments, but won't be consistently great. Could perform on a great team, but might end up being a flash in the pan.

Baker Mayfield is Jim McMahon. Jim McMahon is Baker Mayfield.

Do your research and tell me I'm wrong. 

33 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Not what i'm saying.  I'm saying the scholarship didn't tie into cockiness.  I'm not concerned about the arrest.  It's a bad look, don't get me wrong, but we all have friends who have done dumb stuff while drunk.  Not excusing it, but I don't think it's a recurring issue type of thing.  I do think he's immature, but I do think he's smart enough to know when he messed up.  He's a great teammate and if he gets flagged for something stupid, I think he's the type that'll realize that he let his teammates down, which will bother him and hopefully prevent him from doing it again.  I also think Bowles is generally good at holding people accountable for their actions as well.  

You say he’s smart enough to know when he messes up, yet he continues to mess up post apologizing for messing up. See what I’m saying?!?!

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's all about him. The celebrations, the antics. It screams "ME". Whenever he's involved in a big play, he's not going over to his teammates to congratulate them; he's running off on his own, doing god knows what, and making it about himself. Maybe his teammates like him, but I don't like that. It screams insecure. For a guy like that, I fear how he'll react when the going gets tough. Like, NFL tough. I just feel like he'll be the type of player that has his moments, but won't be consistently great. Could perform on a great team, but might end up being a flash in the pan.

It’s a great point. He’s faced adversity a few tunes and hasn’t responded well in antics and what not. And there will be adversity every day in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

LMAO, everyone celebrates.  I don't see him as a me guy.  Neither do his teammates.  Go watch tape about how excited he gets when his teammates score TD's.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a great point. He’s faced adversity a few tunes and hasn’t responded well in antics and what not. And there will be adversity every day in the NFL.

He hasn't responded well to adversity?  Walked on at TTU, flourished.  Transferred to OU, flourished.  

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

LMAO, everyone celebrates.  I don't see him as a me guy.  Neither do his teammates.  Go watch tape about how excited he gets when his teammates score TD's.

Nothing wrong with celebrating, but when you throw or score a TD and go off sprinting waving your arms around like an idiot, you're trying to bring attention to yourself. I don't like that at all. 

32 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Yes 6'0 QBs can succeed, but the vast majority of the great QBs are around 6'4. 

QB height success in the NFL gets skewed by the fact that players who are 6'2" and under largely go undrafted or get drafted later rounds. QB's drafted in the first round get multiple chances to prove themselves. The large majority of NFL drafted QB's are over 6'2". So of course most QB's are going to be taller.

There have been enough QB's under 6'2" including some of the best, that it shouldn't be treated as a cutoff. 

So, took a tab of looking up the top QB's in the last 2.5 decades and split them by height

Over 6'2": Elway, Aikman, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Cunningham, Manning, Brady, Ben, Rivers, Ryan, Gannon

6'2" and under: Young, Favre, Montana, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Romo, McNabb, Warner, McNair

Seems pretty even to me.

However, assuming all their listed heights are correct (except Young, that dude is not 6'2"), Mayfield at 6 1/2 feet is taller than only 3 of those guys. But the difference between him in that other guys is only 1.5 inches at most. That's a pretty small difference. 

I didn't check when these guys were drafted. But I am willing to guess that most of the guys in the 6'2" and under category either got drafted late or had to go through loops to make it to the league. Didn't Warner play in the arena league or something?

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Nothing wrong with celebrating, but when you throw or score a TD and go off sprinting waving your arms around like an idiot, you're trying to bring attention to yourself. I don't like that at all. 

Want me to post pics or gifs of every top QB in this draft celebrating?  I can find it, no problem.  EVERY college QB celebrates.  You search "josh rosen celebrating" and theirs one of his lineman holding him like a child.  Listen, I'm not defending Baker as a mature guy; he needs to grow up, no doubt.  But I don't think his maturity issues make him undraftable.  I think in the right situation, he'll be fine.  I think we'll all agree that he's a smart guy; he might just need some guidance or have to hit some bumps in the road to realize that he needs to get it together. 

25 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He hasn't responded well to adversity?  Walked on at TTU, flourished.  Transferred to OU, flourished.  

You’re talking about on the field. I’m talking about off the field. And we absolutely can’t oush that to the side. How did he respond to walking on at OU? Getting arrested and running from police. How did he respond from that? By planting a flag on the opposing teams logo. How did he respond to that? By grabbing his crotch and cursing out the KU team. And then to top it off says he won’t change.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Want me to post pics or gifs of every top QB in this draft celebrating?  I can find it, no problem.  EVERY college QB celebrates.  You search "josh rosen celebrating" and theirs one of his lineman holding him like a child.  Listen, I'm not defending Baker as a mature guy; he needs to grow up, no doubt.  But I don't think his maturity issues make him undraftable.  I think in the right situation, he'll be fine.  I think we'll all agree that he's a smart guy; he might just need some guidance or have to hit some bumps in the road to realize that he needs to get it together. 

First things first, New York and our media market is not the right situation for him. Arizona, Denver, Buffalo... they make a lot more sense. 

Second, did you even read what you quoted me saying? Read it again. I'll even edit it for you to make it more clear: 

Nothing wrong with celebrating, but when you throw or score a TD and go off sprinting ALONE waving your arms around like an idiot, you're trying to bring attention to yourself. I don't like that at all. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

There’s smart and football smart. The guy is an idiot who has football smarts.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You’re talking about on the field. I’m talking about off the field. And we absolutely can’t oush that to the side. How did he respond to walking on at OU? Getting arrested and running from police. How did he respond from that? By planting a flag on the opposing teams logo. How did he respond to that? By grabbing his crotch and cursing out the KU team. And then to top it off says he won’t change.

You're linking two things that don't correlate with OU.  On the field, he still more than surpassed it.

Archived