Bell wants $17 mil; Ronald Jones rumor?

warfelg

8 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Brady isn’t taking any discount to help his team.  His money was fronloaded and given as bonuses.  The narrative that he sacrificed for his team is sickening.

He sacrificed yearly being a top 3 paid QB so the team had more cap space each year.

Also he's the 16th highest paid QB this year.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He sacrificed yearly being a top 3 paid QB so the team had more cap space each year.

Just looked it up, Brady has made $196.2 million up until the start of last season (17 years).  That's an average of $11.5mil a year.

By comparison before last season, Ben made $158.3 million over 13 years. That's $12.7mil a year.

Want insane? Peyton Manning made $248.7million over 18 years. Averaged $13.8 million a year.

Yes Brady front loads his contracts to still get paid.  But even at that, looking at total earnings, this is just insane.  He's actually saved his team money, while at the same time making his own.  I want to add that the Patriots are smart in the that rarely restructure him.  They ended up taking the last year a bunch and guaranteeing it as part of his new contract, and left it on that year.

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You’re only looking at cap hits.  He ALREADY has the money that would have been spread out through the years.  Cap hit will be smaller.

2 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

You’re only looking at cap hits.  He ALREADY has the money that would have been spread out through the years.  Cap hit will be smaller.

Look at my next post after that one ;)

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

I actually got a counter to "be like the Patriots" that's going to sound very 'hot take' but when you think about it.....it's rather a 'cold take':

The Patriots copied us.

Yes, I know that's a scorching hot take on the surface.  But dig deeper.  Which team was the first to sparingly go into FA, pick guys with a certain skillset?  Which team was first to put trust in the coach, stick there long term, and not look to shake things up in the good or bad?  Which team was the first one to put more faith in draft and development?

Now I could argue in the last 4-5 years those theories have started to plit, as more teams are looking for the same players.  Patriots have started to drift away from the draft, delve into FA, and use the draft to fill out the team.  We've stuck with using the draft, sparingly use FA, and late rounds will give depth.  I think it's more teams looking to emulate what us and the Patriots do rather than anything else that has lead to the Patriots splitting from us in how they operate.

This isn't a secret. And it's something I pointed out a few months back arguing with you on the subject of the Patriots. Belichick has always been open that he wanted to emulate the Steelers and build an organization that competed every year, didn't sell out their future for the present, and set a price on guys and then let them walk. So this isn't speculation.

He's just doing those things better than the Steelers now do them, and there's too much of people accepting that's just how it is. Belichick has been laughing at the Steelers since 2004. I don't even think there's respect left.

On the subject of QB's taking less, Tom Brady could have made substantially more without ever having to test FA like Cousins. I mean, that's Brady. He also happens to be married to one of the wealthiest women in the world.

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were always the two greediest. Or shrewdest, depending on perspective. It was pretty galling when Drew Brees was calling out teammates during contract negotiations when he nickel and dimed the Saints every chance he got. Peyton Manning never took anything less than top dollar.

I feel that the similarities to us are a bit overblown.  BB is his own style and a style that really only he can emulate. He doesnt value draft picks like we do (read: like most of the NFL does). He sees them as assets where we see them as players. Not that one way is right or wrong, but that leads to his truest asset as a coach -- his ability to see skills in niche players and form them into a solid team, specifically on defense. This is also the ability that leads to him letting go of more talented guys in Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones in lieu of less talented overall guys, who have particular sets of skills that BB can then put into the right spaces to win. Its not some strategy that's main focus is to keeps cost down, though that is an added benefit, its a strategy that BB can figure out how to get similar production out of niche guys which also helps him control a locker room and get great effort out of borderline guys. There are not a ton of people that are able to do that. He has made a living off finding mid-late rounds guys, UDFA, and roster cast offs and forming them into an annually top 8 defense. That is a skill and not necessarily a learned one. 

Eric Row is the most recent example. Cast off after being a high pick from a team trying to use him as a full time player, picked up by Bill as a niche player and has some success. Forced back into a full time role in the Super Bowl and he crumbled. 

This is Belichicks talent. This is what makes them who they are. Its him for the defense and Bradys ability to make everyone around him better. You put the two together and you get amazing results that are incredibly hard to emulate without the right minds/abilities in place -- and the right people are very, very rare. 

Looking at the patriots draft history, its a graveyard of people who are mediocre players and guys no longer on the team. Personally, I would rather live in the world where we have been able to find and keep talent than hope that by some miracle our coaching staff turns into one of the greatest football minds the sport has ever seen. If we want to emulate their success and their off-season moves, find a way to steal us Belichick.....then we can do it to success. 

I am not saying that we cannot learn from this, but emulating it is the difficult part. I am very curious to see how quickly the Pats ship sinks post BB because if they stay the same way, the overall talent on the roster will not be strong and the mind that held it together will be gone. 

Archived