Debo

mwalker

I can put this in terms of another position:

Since Cober has come in, the starters at DE for each season has been - Aaron Smith, Kimo Von Olehoffen, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt. 

So the question becomes: is he a good drafter because that’s 6 guys to sign/draft as starters in a nearly 20 year period or if he bad because the depth without one of those guys suffer. I tent to lean to that’s good because that’s only a short period where the starter was sub-par in that time. 

Now to me there’s other reasons I’m not a Colbert fan. He lets pet projects get drafted later. At times it works with AB, Keisel, Foster. But for the most part we have missed on a bunch of quality depth players. I think some of the things he looks for in certain positions is outdated. There’s little creativity in his contracts. 

I didnt read it and already knew that fact. What i said is he has had above average to great guys IN PLACE for the majority of his time so it has not been a priority until recently. I also said he has not been great but its no doom and gloom like some want to think.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I can put this in terms of another position:

Since Cober has come in, the starters at DE for each season has been - Aaron Smith, Kimo Von Olehoffen, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt. 

So the question becomes: is he a good drafter because that’s 6 guys to sign/draft as starters in a nearly 20 year period or if he bad because the depth without one of those guys suffer. I tent to lean to that’s good because that’s only a short period where the starter was sub-par in that time. 

Now to me there’s other reasons I’m not a Colbert fan. He lets pet projects get drafted later. At times it works with AB, Keisel, Foster. But for the most part we have missed on a bunch of quality depth players. I think some of the things he looks for in certain positions is outdated. There’s little creativity in his contracts. 

Defensive End, WR, RB are all areas where I feel Colbert succeeds.  I think even TE (yes I know Spaeth was technically a bust but he was overdrafted, people would see it differently he had been a 6th round pick i bet).  

CB (arguably), DT, and 50/50 on LB are areas where he fails.  I'm going to even throw QB in there (beyond Ben) because we don't know what Dobbs is but landry jones is trash.

Now this is just based on our history of drafting these positions.  That isn't to say he has failed at those positions or even succeeded, every single time.  He is one of the better GM's in the league but at the same time, between him and Khan, the contract development leaves a lot to be desired.  My biggest complaint is the quality of depth.  No, I don't expect superstars but there are areas of our team that aren't even subpar in depth (such as DE).

19 hours ago, warfelg said:

Again: Porter, Hagans, Harrison, Woodley?  All Colbert finds.

woodley was a RD1 player, so that was a gift as much as DDC was .  I am referring to as of late as well, track record has been in decline

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

woodley was a RD1 player, so that was a gift as much as DDC was .  I am referring to as of late as well, track record has been in decline

Woodley was second round. Timmons was first round in that draft. 

Archived