My ideal draft (fortuitous slidings)

Magnus-Viktor

The weird thing about Dupree is HE CAN be the first off the snap. He can also be the last. This has been an issue since college. So the ability is there. The consistency is not. To be fair, he isn't asked to rush every play. Which to me makes it unbearable that he isn't the first off the line when he is asked to rush. So frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Numbers do lie. I said "you" because I thought you were able to tell that the Defense is the bigger weakness on this team. 

Like I said, it depends on what you're going to get to replace Shazier, and which version of Ben, Bell and Bryant you're going to get.  The garbage to start the year, or what we think of as being more typical?  Remember, last year it was so bad Ben was joking that maybe he just didn't have it anymore.  Thankfully I missed that fugly Jags game since I was on vacation in Europe.  

4 of the first 5 games by Bell were complete turds as well.  

My point was mainly that the O was nowhere near what we thought it was going to be.  It wasn't elite by any means.  Way too fickle and hot and cold.  Inconsistent.  The D was better than anticipated (although I did expect it to be much improved after adding Haden).  It looked like a top 10 D overall when healthy.  2 great DEs, 2 quality/great LBs and the secondary with Haden and Hilton was even fairly solid (a miracle considering it had Mike Frickin Mitchell in it & 100 year old William Gay running the 40 in 6 seconds if he's lucky).  

We'll just have to agree to disagree if you don't agree with those points.  

53 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

they made some strides but despite the shazier injury, the D mainly had their way with weak teams and still lacked consistent OLB pressure and coverage. Our Safety's might be to blame, or burns, but with NKM gone, there won't be anyone to blame and we will see how the secondary is. Our OLB pass rush will only be the same unless Watt improves or if somehow we draft a good player and he gets to play.  I'm not expecting dupree to do anything, speed off the snap can't be taught. 

I don't care for stats that  much. I watch the games and decide how the team is based on that. Garbage sacks and other garbage stats don't win for me.  To me Bell was slower and heavier last year too, but who ever says that?  Mitchell is gone, thats a start, and if we can get dupree off the field and get an ILB the D should be solid ALL the time. I wanted them to sign N. Bowmann for ILB, but it never happened. He is a proven ILB with a good history. Older players like Foote and Farrior were good for us, why not Bowmann?

Who is NKM?  Mitchell?  

I agree with most of what you said.  If they were able to upgrade OLB, find someone to replace Shazier and upgrade S, the D should be really good.  Thus, why my mock (without trades) has an ILB in 1, OLB in 2 and a coverage S in 3.  

I agree that Bell was slower last year.  He was nowhere near the dominant force he was the 2 years before that.  Whining like a spoiled brat about his contract and not playing all preseason will do that to you.  4 of the first 5 games were complete turds by him.  Coincidence?  I think not.  

As for stats, I agree to an extent.  It is a way to compare things without going solely off personal opinion.  But yes, I know the difference between a guy who gets stats when it matters and a guy who pads them in garbage time or against scrubs.  So I definitely agree with your take from that standpoint.

1 minute ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Who is NKM?  Mitchell?  

I agree with most of what you said.  If they were able to upgrade OLB, find someone to replace Shazier and upgrade S, the D should be really good.  Thus, why my mock (without trades) has an ILB in 1, OLB in 2 and a coverage S in 3.  

I agree that Bell was slower last year.  He was nowhere near the dominant force he was the 2 years before that.  Whining like a spoiled brat about his contract and not playing all preseason will do that to you.  4 of the first 5 games were complete turds by him.  Coincidence?  I think not.  

As for stats, I agree to an extent.  It is a way to compare things without going solely off personal opinion.  But yes, I know the difference between a guy who gets stats when it matters and a guy who pads them in garbage time or against scrubs.  So I definitely agree with your take from that standpoint.

North Korean Missile - intends to harm but misses target -> mitchellxD

agree about Bell and possibly a reason they won't sign him long term - he blew his chance last year with the bad 5 games you mentioned. It was obvious to me, yet the expert commentators are saying how gr4eat consition he is in etc 9_9 . I used to think Bell was good for the team until last season, especially after he was heavy and slow and all the drama. I was hoping the team would move on and load up the D.  Much prefer a hard running RB with a solid D than this finesse whining RB and lousy D. it's not what we are used to is it? But we better get used to it 

I like the idea of your draft if we get good players. ILB could have been solved with signing Bowman, this is where UFA really helps IMO. Getting a trusted vet that is proven and has instincts. Just start and move on, but the draft is a risk.

As for stats, I don't watch the other games, but have an idea of how a player is to be. PFF ranked dupree the 3rd worst, and for those that watch many other teams and games, would that be accurate? If so, it's a good reason to get a new starting OLB then, 3rd worst (or even 10th worst)  shouldn't be starting. 

55 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Like I said, it depends on what you're going to get to replace Shazier, and which version of Ben, Bell and Bryant you're going to get.  The garbage to start the year, or what we think of as being more typical?  Remember, last year it was so bad Ben was joking that maybe he just didn't have it anymore.  Thankfully I missed that fugly Jags game since I was on vacation in Europe.  

4 of the first 5 games by Bell were complete turds as well.  

My point was mainly that the O was nowhere near what we thought it was going to be.  It wasn't elite by any means.  Way too fickle and hot and cold.  Inconsistent.  The D was better than anticipated (although I did expect it to be much improved after adding Haden).  It looked like a top 10 D overall when healthy.  2 great DEs, 2 quality/great LBs and the secondary with Haden and Hilton was even fairly solid (a miracle considering it had Mike Frickin Mitchell in it & 100 year old William Gay running the 40 in 6 seconds if he's lucky).  

We'll just have to agree to disagree if you don't agree with those points.  

The conversation started in regards to taking a TE @ 60. Assuming they take a ILB or OLB or DB in the first it would be hard for me to believe that whichever they don't pick wouldn't (edit) then be a better pick in the 2nd then TE would be (obviously depending on who's there). But as you suggested. Agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

The conversation started in regards to taking a TE @ 60. Assuming they take a ILB or OLB or DB in the first it would be hard for me to believe that whichever they don't pick would then be a better pick in the 2nd then TE would be (obviously depending on who's there). But as you suggested. Agree to disagree. 

I am tired of the idea of adding more offensive players early in the draft. Everyone says this is the most talented offence , so why add more when the D needs help. The of course with offensive players, there is the added potential of players whining they aren't getting the ball, just another consideration. We have had some of that in recent years, and I expect more if we add more high picks on offence.  A TE @60  could help the team, I just don't want to watch games like the SB where the teams just keep going up the field at will, it's lousy to watch for me. I would rather watch a 13-10 defensive game with good teams, but that never happens anymore unless the weather is really bad.  

55 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I am tired of the idea of adding more offensive players early in the draft. Everyone says this is the most talented offence , so why add more when the D needs help. The of course with offensive players, there is the added potential of players whining they aren't getting the ball, just another consideration. We have had some of that in recent years, and I expect more if we add more high picks on offence.  A TE @60  could help the team, I just don't want to watch games like the SB where the teams just keep going up the field at will, it's lousy to watch for me. I would rather watch a 13-10 defensive game with good teams, but that never happens anymore unless the weather is really bad.  

That's what a lot of people said last year and JuJu ended up being fantastic.  I'm in favor of a Defensive draft, BUT if the right offense player falls to us (like Goedert in the 2nd) I'd strongly consider it.  

1 minute ago, JLambert58 said:

That's what a lot of people said last year and JuJu ended up being fantastic.  I'm in favor of a Defensive draft, BUT if the right offense player falls to us (like Goedert in the 2nd) I'd strongly consider it.  

if we get a player like JuJu, someone that will hit , block and catch and do everything like a pro, then it isn't a problem. I don't want whiners and brats especially with the D being unwatchable .  

3 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

That's a little different. They had AB and an unpredictable Bryant. Whom (If I recall correctly) hadn't even been reinstated prior to the draft. That was pretty much it. While I agree if a superior Offensive player falls, you take him. But that player had better be vastly superior to whatever Defensive player is there. I'm not so sure Goedert is that player. But then again, maybe he could be. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

That's a little different. They had AB and an unpredictable Bryant. Whom (If I recall correctly) hadn't even been reinstated prior to the draft. That was pretty much it. While I agree if a superior Offensive player falls, you take him. But that player had better be vastly superior to whatever Defensive player is there. I'm not so sure Goedert is that player. But then again, maybe he could be. 

True, but there was also a stable of middling talent at WR that could have been considered a full complement at the position.  (Rogers, DHB, Hunter, Ayers)  So it wasn't exactly a consensus need compared to other positions at the #2 pick.  Bryant wasn't reinstated yet, but it was considered imminent.  

I'm not suggesting we SHOULD take an offensive player with the first 3 picks, only that it might make sense if the draft falls right for it.   And for the record, I think Goedert would be a strong pick at #60.   Don't have a ton of faith in McDonald staying healthy.  

The offense needs an infusion of talent/depth....notably at WR and RB...and then OL starting next year...not to mention QB soon....and TE possibly depending how things go.

An offensive player picked in 1st 3 rounds somewhere makes legitimate sense.

1 minute ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

The offense needs an infusion of talent/depth....notably at WR and RB...and then OL starting next year...not to mention QB soon....and TE possibly depending how things go.

If we can get good D help in RDs3 or later , then this all works . We need help on D, otherwise we will just watch good teams go to the endzone at will

7 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I can't think of 5 better Offenses in the League. I can think of several better Defenses. 

41 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I can't think of 5 better Offenses in the League. I can think of several better Defenses. 

Your missing the point...I agree...however the case can be made for an offensive player.

This isn’t me saying my personal beliefs only...it’s the way the Steelers handle the draft that’s all.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

the D was terrible in the playoff game. As a result, the FO/coaches should think the D needs to be fixed more than anything. Maybe they forgot about that game though;)

Archived