My ideal draft (fortuitous slidings)

Magnus-Viktor

1.  Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State - I want a long, athletic ILB that has range.  After Shazier went down, our ILBs could cover a 3 foot square section of the field and that's all.  He needs coaching, but you can't teach that size and speed.  

2.  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State - I don't think he falls this far, but I saw an "expert" mock by Chad Reuters on NFL.com just now that had him going at pick 65, so I figured what the heck.  Hubbard is probably my favorite player in the draft.  TJ Watt 2.0, and at this point in the draft there would be virtually no 34 OLBs worth taking still available, so I'd instantly trade Dupree to a team that missed out on the position if I was able to land Hubbard here.  

*Trade Dupree for a late 2 & 3 (2b & 3b)*

2b.  Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado - After trading Gay, and having absolutely no proven depth at CB, along with an unproven Burns and an injury prone Haden, along with a nickel-only Hilton, CB is a glaring need.  Oliver has extremely long arms and ideal size, along with quality athleticism and just looks like a smooth cover guy to me.  

3a.  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - I don't trust Bryant to produce or keep his mouth shut or stay out of trouble.  None of the above.  If I can get a WR like St. Brown in 3, I'd immediately turn around and trade Bryant to a team who missed out on the last of the big/fast WRs in the draft and needs one.  I think St. Brown is going to be a MUCH better pro than he was in college due to pure trash at QB at Notre Dame.  

*Trade Martavis Bryant for a late 3 (3c)*

3b.  Jessie Bates III, FS, Wake Forest - Great cover guy but poor tackler.  6'1" 200 lbs, 4.50 speed.  Solid.  

3c.  Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas - Gotta keep the OL a strength of the team.  

5.  Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn - Reuters also had him going in 5.  I think he looks like a pretty solid RB and a potential replacement for Bell in '19.  

5.  Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State - A developmental small school prospect.  

7.  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech - After running a 4.47 and 4.50 at his pro day, to go along with his elite results from the combine in literally every other aspect, I think he'll be a riser.  I think he's the #4 WR on the roster from day 1, with Hunter being a non-factor on a 1 year deal and DHB being a STer only.  The rest of the roster is made up of a bunch of PS types.  Depth at WR on the Steelers sucks after Brown and JuJu, if you don't count totally unreliable Bryant.  

7.  Greg Stroman, CB/KR, Virginia Tech - Very thin but looks like he can play anyway, and could potentially contribute both on STs and on D.  Need to get a decent return man in there and keep Brown off STs completely.  11 PRs last year is 11 too many.

Rudimentary Depth Chart:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, Kerryon Johnson (5)
FB:  Roosevelt Nix
WR:  Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Equanimeous St. Brown (3), Dylan Cantrell (7), Justin Hunter, Darrius Heyward-Bey
TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Jake McGee
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, Frank Ragnow (3)
C: Maurkice Pouncey, BJ Finney
RG:  David DeCastro, 
RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Matt Feiler

DE:  Cameron Heyward, Zach Sieler (5)
DT:  Javon Hargrave, Daniel McCullers
DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
OLB:  TJ Watt, Keion Adams
ILB:  Leighton Vander Esch (1), Tyler Matakevich
ILB:  LJ Fort, Vince Williams, Jon Bostic
OLB:  Sam Hubbard (2), Anthony Chickillo
CB:  Joe Haden,
Isaiah Oliver (3), Coty Sensabaugh
FS:  Jessie Bates III (3), JJ Wilcox, Jordan Dangerfield
SS:  Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett
CB:  Artie Burns, Brian Allen
Nickel:  Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Greg Stroman (7)

K:  Chris Boswell
P:  Jordan Berry or FA

KR/PR:  Greg Stroman (7)

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

1.  Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State - I want a long, athletic ILB that has range.  After Shazier went down, our ILBs could cover a 3 foot square section of the field and that's all.  He needs coaching, but you can't teach that size and speed.  

2.  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State - I don't think he falls this far, but I saw an "expert" mock by Chad Reuters on NFL.com just now that had him going at pick 65, so I figured what the heck.  Hubbard is probably my favorite player in the draft.  TJ Watt 2.0, and at this point in the draft there would be virtually no 34 OLBs worth taking still available, so I'd instantly trade Dupree to a team that missed out on the position if I was able to land Hubbard here.  

*Trade Dupree for a late 2 & 3 (2b & 3b)*

2b.  Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado - After trading Gay, and having absolutely no proven depth at CB, along with an unproven Burns and an injury prone Haden, along with a nickel-only Hilton, CB is a glaring need.  Oliver has extremely long arms and ideal size, along with quality athleticism and just looks like a smooth cover guy to me.  

3a.  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - I don't trust Bryant to produce or keep his mouth shut or stay out of trouble.  None of the above.  If I can get a WR like St. Brown in 3, I'd immediately turn around and trade Bryant to a team who missed out on the last of the big/fast WRs in the draft and needs one.  I think St. Brown is going to be a MUCH better pro than he was in college due to pure trash at QB at Notre Dame.  

*Trade Martavis Bryant for a late 3 (3c)*

3b.  Jessie Bates III, FS, Wake Forest - Great cover guy but poor tackler.  6'1" 200 lbs, 4.50 speed.  Solid.  

3c.  Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas - Gotta keep the OL a strength of the team.  

5.  Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn - Reuters also had him going in 5.  I think he looks like a pretty solid RB and a potential replacement for Bell in '19.  

5.  Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State - A developmental small school prospect.  

7.  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech - After running a 4.47 and 4.50 at his pro day, to go along with his elite results from the combine in literally every other aspect, I think he'll be a riser.  I think he's the #4 WR on the roster from day 1, with Hunter being a non-factor on a 1 year deal and DHB being a STer only.  The rest of the roster is made up of a bunch of PS types.  Depth at WR on the Steelers sucks after Brown and JuJu, if you don't count totally unreliable Bryant.  

7.  Greg Stroman, CB/KR, Virginia Tech - Very thin but looks like he can play anyway, and could potentially contribute both on STs and on D.  Need to get a decent return man in there and keep Brown off STs completely.  11 PRs last year is 11 too many.

Rudimentary Depth Chart:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, Kerryon Johnson (5)
FB:  Roosevelt Nix
WR:  Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Equanimeous St. Brown (3), Dylan Cantrell (7), Justin Hunter, Darrius Heyward-Bey
TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Jake McGee
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, Frank Ragnow (3)
C: Maurkice Pouncey, BJ Finney
RG:  David DeCastro, 
RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Matt Feiler

DE:  Cameron Heyward, Zach Sieler (5)
DT:  Javon Hargrave, Daniel McCullers
DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
OLB:  TJ Watt, Keion Adams
ILB:  Leighton Vander Esch (1), Tyler Matakevich
ILB:  LJ Fort, Vince Williams, Jon Bostic
OLB:  Sam Hubbard (2), Anthony Chickillo
CB:  Joe Haden,
Isaiah Oliver (3), Coty Sensabaugh
FS:  Jessie Bates III (3), JJ Wilcox, Jordan Dangerfield
SS:  Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett
CB:  Artie Burns, Brian Allen
Nickel:  Mike Hilton, Cameron Sutton, Greg Stroman (7)

K:  Chris Boswell
P:  Jordan Berry or FA

KR/PR:  Greg Stroman (7)

Damn, that would be nice to trade Dupree for a 2nd and a 3rd.  

LVE in the 1st makes a ton of sense.  Higher Sparq score that Watt with ridiculous size and length.  Yes, please.

Hubbard would be fine in the 2nd or later.  Like his game, but wish he was a bit more quick twitch. 

Bates, I like.  Would be great if we could get him in the 3rd.  But I have a feeling he will be long gone by then.  

St. Brown would be another nice WR to add to the stable.  Haven't looked over the other guys too closely. 

Since were getting a 2 and 3 for Dupree, I want Kate Beckinsale from Underworld in that black leather outfit on my bed saying “Im yours”

No way either of those things are going to happen.

38 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Not a big Hubbard fan but love those first 3 rounds. Like Oliver &  Ragnow a lot. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing an OL pick...especially depending on they view Hawkins as the swing tackle...I do think they move on from Foster after this year.

7 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing an OL pick...especially depending on they view Hawkins as the swing tackle...I do think they move on from Foster after this year.

I floated this on Steelers Depot:  What do you guys think about taking McCullers and turning him into a OT project?

8 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I floated this on Steelers Depot:  What do you guys think about taking McCullers and turning him into a OT project?

No, his problem are a his feet and the inability to move laterally. Yeah of course his pad level gets high but its his feet that were the killer at least when he came out. 

20 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Im actually open to taking Wynn if he fell down to us.  Only concern is he has tackles feet and a a guards length, not sure about the necessary girth though. In any case I have him ranked in my top 15. 

15 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

No, his problem are a his feet and the inability to move laterally. Yeah of course his pad level gets high but its his feet that were the killer at least when he came out. 

He had better combine numbers than Orlando Brown :D

I see it is more likely that the Steelers take Harrison Phillips than any offensive lineman or receiver at 1.28.

22 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Im actually open to taking Wynn if he fell down to us.  Only concern is he has tackles feet and a a guards length, not sure about the necessary girth though. In any case I have him ranked in my top 15. 

Not a fan of a high pick on a OL...even though I like Wynn.

With IMO, Finney replacing Foster at LG, depth at interior OL will be needed...maybe even OT if Hawkins fails...I’d have no problem with a 3rd rd pick or later.

Way too early look into 2019 draft I see the Offense actually being focus with RB and OL depth leading the way...possibly QB and TE as well.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Too bad we can use that big mountain of man for some good use.  

Archived