Preseason Week 1: Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots

pwny

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Yeldon is so damn slow. 

Is it even slow, or just hilariously indecisive/tentative?  I can't tell.  Just looks like he's jogging around out there waiting for a Bama sized hole to open up and beckon to him.

5 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Cam Robinson still in. Getting a lot of reps.

It wouldn't surprise me if Yeldon is traded/cut. Fournette/Ivory/Grant are the 3 best RB's we have.

There was a time where Yeldon looked like a decent receiving back and a guy who could play some 3rd downs and stuff at least.  Sub in here or there.  But it's really hard to justify a guy like that on the roster even as a #3RB, when he really isn't a special teams contributor, and doesn't really bring any unique element to the backfield.

RB is a position where you always need depth though.  These guys get banged up.  And Yeldon isn't the most awful depth RB ever.  I think 4 RBs is doable if one of them like Grant can contribute on special teams significantly.  It's awkward though.

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

I kinda get it with the QB. It typically takes high resources to procure a legitimate option at QB. If you like Fournette over Watson, then I’m not sure there was another guy worth the investment there. We could go on and on about Kap, but he’s likely being blackballed. It’s kinda a by default thing there. But you can’t tell me there wasn’t some undrafted Kicker that could go nail some kicks and at least give a challenge to one of the lesser Kickers in the league.

Yeah.  It's a different animal when it comes to QB.  You can't just pick up serviceable QBs wherever.  Kickers though...guys better than Myers are floating around all over the place, especially during the offseason.  The guy isn't very good.  He's certainly not reliable.

8 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Blake Bortles treatment iyam.

I think they are different scenarios. Drafting a QB you have no faith in to be a franchise guy makes no sense but kickers are such an incredible crap shoot that bringing one in when you have an experienced guy(kind of like what we did with Scobee/Myers) Didn't we always have 2 kickers even when Scobee was good?

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

There was a time where Yeldon looked like a decent receiving back and a guy who could play some 3rd downs and stuff at least.  Sub in here or there.  But it's really hard to justify a guy like that on the roster even as a #3RB, when he really isn't a special teams contributor, and doesn't really bring any unique element to the backfield.

RB is a position where you always need depth though.  These guys get banged up.  And Yeldon isn't the most awful depth RB ever.  I think 4 RBs is doable if one of them like Grant can contribute on special teams significantly.  It's awkward though.

The thing about Yeldon is his value on 3rd down. He is a good blocker (best blocking RB on the team) and a good receiver out of the backfield. If Grant or LF are able to show great improvement in blocking over the next few weeks, I'm not sure we get rid of Yeldon. 

On 8/11/2017 at 10:04 AM, Jags said:

The thing about Yeldon is his value on 3rd down. He is a good blocker (best blocking RB on the team) and a good receiver out of the backfield. If Grant or LF are able to show great improvement in blocking over the next few weeks, I'm not sure we get rid of Yeldon. 

Ivory is also decent enough as a blitz pickup guy, and Fournette obviously has all the physical tools to be at least decent at it as well.  The receiving thing is definitely an asset with Yeldon like i said, but at some point...it may not be enough of an asset to keep him over depth are other positions where we're more shallow.  For now, i think it makes sense to keep him.  Depth at RB is important.  But at some point, players like Yeldon just become part of the great RB revolving door of the NFL because they're so utterly mediocre to poor, and can't really set themselves apart as contributors.  Especially when, like Yeldon...they have no special teams value.

Archived