God of War (2018)

Not really enjoying half the battles. Harder difficulty is just lazy. They just make you hit enemies 90 times, then drop 6 more enemies who have to be hit 90 times in a small environment, then put you in ridiculous scenarios where you have to chase casters because you can't do anything until they're dead, and the caster has to also be hit 90 times too while 4 other enemies who can 2 shot you are chasing you around and eventually cornering you.

Not very rewarding, basically just have to play a scenario a bunch of times until you get lucky aren't cornered.

15 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Not really enjoying half the battles. Harder difficulty is just lazy. They just make you hit enemies 90 times, then drop 6 more enemies who have to be hit 90 times in a small environment, then put you in ridiculous scenarios where you have to chase casters because you can't do anything until they're dead, and the caster has to also be hit 90 times too while 4 other enemies who can 2 shot you are chasing you around and eventually cornering you.

Not very rewarding, basically just have to play a scenario a bunch of times until you get lucky aren't cornered.

Isn't that how most harder difficulties work? I heard that enemies have different moves in the harder difficulties that they don't in normal and easy.

I never play past normal though in most games though tbh so I have no idea.

20 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Isn't that how most harder difficulties work? I heard that enemies have different moves in the harder difficulties that they don't in normal and easy.

I never play past normal though in most games though tbh so I have no idea.

Depends on the games. I like it better when the difficulty is increased with some thought behind it by the director, not just make everyone harder to kill. I think making everyone harder to kill is ok too, but if it forces you to just play the game in a way that isn't as fun, like run around and kite for 30 mins, then that's just lazy.

I prefer when enemies are super lethal and you are punished for making any mistakes, but you're also lethal and get rewarded for not making mistakes. I really enjoy the combat in this game in most parts, the parry and dodge mechanics are excellent and very instant and responsive, so you can be surrounded by enemies and still parry or dodge every attack one after another and find opening to do damage, but it doesn't work against all enemies in all engagements. So far the hardest parts I rat into where I can't win with melee I just ran around and threw the axe, which is like 1/1000000 the fun than melee combat.

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Depends on the games. I like it better when the difficulty is increased with some thought behind it by the director, not just make everyone harder to kill. I think making everyone harder to kill is ok too, but if it forces you to just play the game in a way that isn't as fun, like run around and kite for 30 mins, then that's just lazy.

I prefer when enemies are super lethal and you are punished for making any mistakes, but you're also lethal and get rewarded for not making mistakes. I really enjoy the combat in this game in most parts, the parry and dodge mechanics are excellent and very instant and responsive, so you can be surrounded by enemies and still parry or dodge every attack one after another and find opening to do damage, but it doesn't work against all enemies in all engagements. So far the hardest parts I rat into where I can't win with melee I just ran around and threw the axe, which is like 1/1000000 the fun than melee combat.

Atreus does more dps than Kratos tbh, I just spam square and use the wolves summon and then have kratos run around using his runic attacks when I need to.

You could probably beat this game just running and dodging and pressing square.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:52 AM, Mossburg said:

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of this. I hate difficulty increases that crank up enemy health to a severe level. I'm partial to difficulty increases that either add to the complexity of enemy groups/combinations (so don't just make it the same enemy group as easy, just with way more health and damage, but instead put in late game enemies earlier or add harder combos of melee/ranged enemies, etc.) or that make it like hardcore/realistic modes in a lot of FPS games. Either crank up everyone's damage or crank down everyone's health. Make what allies and enemies alike can survive more realistic. So it's unforgiving but doesn't push you towards cheap strategies.

I dislike that the default approach to difficulty levels is just scaling the numbers differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Slowly making my way through this. It's a real gem. I like that the story is pretty linear, but in between, I can go and explore and get sidetracked with side-quests/random puzzles. The continuous camera is really sweet. Agree with Mossburg about the difficulty. I had it on hard initially but turned it down pretty quickly. Felt a bit too lopsided. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived