Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m not exactly a Deni stan but I would have looked for future picks instead. I assume the 2029 is not a first. 

Full Deni Avdija trade details:

Blazers:
Deni Avdija

Wizards:
Malcolm Brogdon
No. 14 pick
2029 first-round pick (least favorable of Blazers two picks)
Two future second-round picks

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Full Deni Avdija trade details:

Blazers:
Deni Avdija

Wizards:
Malcolm Brogdon
No. 14 pick
2029 first-round pick (least favorable of Blazers two picks)
Two future second-round picks

That's a pretty weak return for a young up and coming player on a valuable contract. 

• Like 1

Wondering if they’d look at Ryan Dunn. 

Can’t shoot, but he’s an elite defensive wing. Maybe they think they can develop the offense? I don’t have a ton of feel for their mentality yet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's a pretty weak return for a young up and coming player on a valuable contract. 

Brogdon is expiring so that’s worth a decent amount & he can really help develop the young guys. 

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Wondering if they’d look at Ryan Dunn. 

Can’t shoot, but he’s an elite defensive wing. Maybe they think they can develop the offense? I don’t have a ton of feel for their mentality yet.

Their mentality seems French to me. 😂 

@GregFinberg

”Wizards draft class through Round 1:

• Alex Sarr (No. 2)

• Bub Carrington (No. 14)

• Kyshawn George (No. 24)

Will Dawkins has prioritized size and potential throughout his time in D.C., and this draft class perfectly reflects that.”

Just now, turtle28 said:

@GregFinberg

”Wizards draft class through Round 1:

• Alex Sarr (No. 2)

• Bub Carrington (No. 14)

• Kyshawn George (No. 24)

Will Dawkins has prioritized size and potential throughout his time in D.C., and this draft class perfectly reflects that.”

Deni Advija has a lot of size and potential. 

Having seen what the Orioles have been able to do by importing high-ranking lieutenants from a savvy, cutting-edge FO, I’m very open to what the Wizards are doing here. 

Jacking OKC’s model seems pretty damned logical, given what they’ve been able to accomplish, and I like that they’re pretty much sticking to what’s worked.

We’ll see what these guys turn into, but being tall and being skilled has always been a strong combo in the NBA. The biggest key will be whether they’ve got the coaching staff in place to develop these newer, rawer guys. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Deni Advija has a lot of size and potential. 

Meh, I’m tired of watching Deni tease everyone with his potential. Four years of potential w/ only some good games last year on a team with little talent so he got more shots. We’re not going to miss him.

Posted (edited)

‪I have to admit, I think the Wizards made a mistake in not drafting Terrence Shannon. Keyshawn George has a nice game, he’s a good shooter & and good long wing  but, Terrence Shannon has a shot to be a starter day 1. Shannon has  everything in his game. He attacks the rim, he can shoot too plus he is more athletic & tough than George.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

‪I have to admit, I think the Wizards made a mistake in not drafting Terrence Shannon. Keyshawn George has a nice game, he’s a good shooter & and good long wing  but, Terrence Shannon has a shot to be a starter day 1. Shannon has  everything in his game. He attacks the rim, he can shoot too plus he is more athletic & tough than George.

Probably worth noting that Terrence Shannon is 6 months older than Deni Avdija. He’s more than 5 years older than Bub Carrington, for example.

I think he was a really good college player the last couple years, but I also think you have to take that with a huge grain of salt because most of his actual peers were already in the NBA. Being able to bully a bunch of kids who are mostly 2-5 years younger than him is not as impressive as his performance seemed on the surface.

College prospects as old as he is rarely work out. It’s a very unsuccessful demographic — mostly because if they were good enough to be strong NBA players, they’d probably already be there. 

• Like 2

Overall, happy with the players selected and the draft. I probably would have gone a different direction with the other two picks, but as "other guys" I am pleased. These are three guys with a lot of potential and upside - exactly what we need to try right now. Keep shooting and see what falls. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40433318/2024-nba-draft-round-1-winners-surprises-teams-picks-questions

What's the one word you'd use to describe Washington's Round 1?

Pelton: Intriguing.

The Wizards ended up with two of the top 10 prospects in my projections in Alex Sarr (No. 2) and Kyshawn George (No. 9), plus a third in the top 15 in Carlton Carrington (No. 15). None of those guys is likely to help Washington win now -- which the Wizards surely don't want -- but none is older than 19 either.

Woo: Tank-tastic, but in the most endearing way possible.

The Wizards are not going to win a lot next season, but their front office, led by Michael Winger and Will Dawkins, has clearly been afforded a similar degree of long-term runway by owner Ted Leonsis as they had during their Oklahoma City days. It's going to take a while, but Washington seems ready to implement the Thunder's model, collecting high-upside prospects and draft assets and aiming to develop a tall, versatile and skilled roster. With that in mind, there's an obvious through line with three guys the Wizards drafted -- and having a coherent plan and the freedom to execute it is sometimes a huge part of the battle front offices face.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/38788364/2024-nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-25-prospects

2. Alex Sarr | PF/C | Perth (Australia)

6-11 ¾ | Age: 19.1 | Previously ranked: 2

Strengths: Sarr has a 9-foot-2 standing reach. He has impressive mobility, quickness and explosiveness that gives him rare upside as a rim-protector and switch defender stepping out on the perimeter.

Weaknesses: Sarr showed flashes of potential as a ball handler, passer and jump-shooter, but he is still finding consistency with his toughness and feel for the game to complement his impact as a rim-runner, pick-and-roll finisher and versatile defender.

The verdict: He exceeded expectations in his lone season in the NBL, anchoring Perth's defense and finding ways to contribute in a smaller role as an 18-year-old. While Sarr still needs to get stronger and continue to evolve offensively, he fits a coveted mold as a power forward/center with the potential to be a difference-maker on both ends of the floor.

19. Carlton Carrington | PG | Pittsburgh

6-3 ¾ | Age: 18.9 | Previously ranked: 20

Strengths: Carrington is a big guard with a budding floor game whose late growth spurt made him the most unexpected riser of the past year.

Weaknesses: While he has great size and has packed on some muscle, his frame is still a major work in progress. Similarly, he shot the 3 well late in the season but will have to prove his consistency.

The verdict: Carrington's size, feel and midrange game won him a lot of fans last season, as he has a unique maturity for a young guard who was not expected to carry the additional pressure of being one-and-done this season. He might not be an overwhelming athlete, but he is on an interesting trajectory as a big guard who did some nice things operating out of the pick-and-roll.

20. Kyshawn George | SG/SF | Miami

6-7 | Age: 20.5 | Previously ranked: 19

Strengths: George is a big wing whose 3-point shooting ability, pace with the ball, vision and instincts give him intriguing long-term upside.

Weaknesses: George doesn't have stellar athleticism, physicality or assertiveness to make the most of his talent consistently, and he remains green off the ball on defense.

The verdict: One of several unexpected one-and-done prospects in this draft, George flashed considerable talent between quiet stretches in his lone collegiate season. The Swiss swingman could fill a coveted role in the NBA if he can put everything together with the late-blooming trajectory he's on.