Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

When everyone advocates for Zacha for his defensive acumen and this his the harsh reality of his defense: 

zachapa97

So dude is a black hole offensively at 5 on 5 in his career, far too much of a passenger, and defensively he's getting crushed. But like all the fans want to keep him because he's a good penalty killer? LOL

11 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Did Blake Coleman play on his line when you guys had him?

Most common linemates were Wayne Simmonds and Jesper Bratt, with Miles Wood third. Over the past few years, it's largely been Bratt & Wood he's been with overall. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I only ask because Coleman has formed 1/3 of the arguably the most dominant line in the playoffs with Gourde and Goodrow. Just a defensive and possession monster. So maybe he had a hand in carrying Zacha a little. Nevermind then if they barely played together.

The problem is that as bad as the team was, Zacha is still somehow twice as bad as Goose, who everyone would agree was just horrific defensively, especially when he was with the wrong linemates (he ended up playing a ton with Zajac and Coleman to hide that problem). So there's only so much I can put on the linemates. XG/60 is 19% for Zacha compared to Goose's 7%. I Just think he's bad at hockey, personally, but specifically bad at 5 on 5 hockey. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I wonder how he is as a coach. I know nothing. 

It's always really tricky with assistants because you don't know exactly what they were doing or how much of a hand in anything. Its like assistant GMs. I think he was in charge of the forwards, but lets be real...how much can we know about him when he had Malkin and Crosby and others? lol.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's always really tricky with assistants because you don't know exactly what they were doing or how much of a hand in anything. Its like assistant GMs. I think he was in charge of the forwards, but lets be real...how much can we know about him when he had Malkin and Crosby and others? lol.

He apparently ran their power play too. That's been a weak spot for us so I'm all in on a new approach. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

He apparently ran their power play too. That's been a weak spot for us so I'm all in on a new approach. 

It bloody well can't be worse. 

Kind of a surprising hire. I do not know if he had any relationship with anyone here. If that's the case, I like it. 

Wish it wasn't another Pittsburgh retread lolol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

It bloody well can't be worse. 

Kind of a surprising hire. I do not know if he had any relationship with anyone here. If that's the case, I like it. 

Wish it wasn't another Pittsburgh retread lolol

I don't mind this one tho. At least he has NHL pedigree unlike all the others. 

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, and this is just me obviously, I want to trade 18 or 20 (depending on the board) to Ottawa for 28 and 33. I don't care if it cost us one of our 4ths to do it as well.

20 & 124 or 130 for 28 and 33. 

I think it's far more likely that we trade back than trading up. The analytics bent and all. Makes more sense to take stabs like that.