Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think it's far more likely that we trade back than trading up. The analytics bent and all. Makes more sense to take stabs like that. 

That's what I'm advocating for lol. I don't see us trading up at all. I'll admit though, as you can tell on HF, this is all with the idea of landing Tristen Robins, whom I just adore. I'd be willing to sacrifice losing out on Perreault and Gunler for Robins and 33. This also would open up the chance that Lapierre could fall due to the medicals and it alleviates the risk a bit, should it happen. Gotta admit, there's also a chance Perreault falls, considering what happened with Kaliyev last year, you can't put anything past NHL GMs and scouts.

Simply put, I love the depth of this draft in the top 30 or so that I want as many stabs at it as I can get. There's always the chance that the guy you're targeting at 20 is still there at 28. It would also allow us to not reach on the 3rd tier dmen should we want them.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

That's what I'm advocating for lol. I don't see us trading up at all. I'll admit though, as you can tell on HF, this is all with the idea of landing Tristen Robins, whom I just adore. I'd be willing to sacrifice losing out on Perreault and Gunler for Robins and 33. This also would open up the chance that Lapierre could fall due to the medicals and it alleviates the risk a bit, should it happen. Gotta admit, there's also a chance Perreault falls, considering what happened with Kaliyev last year, you can't put anything past NHL GMs and scouts.

Simply put, I love the depth of this draft in the top 30 or so that I want as many stabs at it as I can get. There's always the chance that the guy you're targeting at 20 is still there at 28. It would also allow us to not reach on the 3rd tier dmen should we want them.

If we trade down to like 28 & 33, I'm probably more about pocketing one of the picks to use and shopping the second for something in trade. See if I can get Fleury or Bean from Carolina or Dunn, or just whomever. I'm actually not opposed to that at 20 either, but at 28-33, it's just one of those situations where I'm kind of whatever about those picks. Even in a good draft, those picks are just so random. History has not been kind to selections in that range, so I'd feel better about securing something closer in development. The math just isn't in our favor with regards to success from those picks. 

If the Sabres don't qualify Montour, is he someone we'd target? He's a RHD so it would depend on what we will do with Smith but he's only 26. You probably know more about him than I do, I just know he's someone we haven't talked about. I know we've talked about a Wood for dman trade with Buffalo but I couldn't remember if it was Miller or McCabe. I'm thinking it was McCabe due to him being a LHD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If the Sabres don't qualify Montour, is he someone we'd target? He's a RHD so it would depend on what we will do with Smith but he's only 26. You probably know more about him than I do, I just know he's someone we haven't talked about. I know we've talked about a Wood for dman trade with Buffalo but I couldn't remember if it was Miller or McCabe. I'm thinking it was McCabe due to him being a LHD.

So I want the Oilers to trade Larsson and bring in Montour as his replacement. He won't get qualified (Sabres are full on RHD), and there is a chance for a significant rebound. His underlying analytics on a tirefire of a Sabres team isn't too bad, and if paired with a decent LHD defensively, there is significant upside. Similar situation to Justin Schultz in Edmonton and then going to a competent organization and coach in Pittsburgh who got the most out of him. Get Montour away from the tirefire that is Buffalo and into the hands of a legitimate coaching staff and team and I think you can get a 40 pt puck moving D-man who is fiesty and plays OK defense.

• Like 1

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

So I want the Oilers to trade Larsson and bring in Montour as his replacement. He won't get qualified (Sabres are full on RHD), and there is a chance for a significant rebound. His underlying analytics on a tirefire of a Sabres team isn't too bad, and if paired with a decent LHD defensively, there is significant upside. Similar situation to Justin Schultz in Edmonton and then going to a competent organization and coach in Pittsburgh who got the most out of him. Get Montour away from the tirefire that is Buffalo and into the hands of a legitimate coaching staff and team and I think you can get a 40 pt puck moving D-man who is fiesty and plays OK defense.

In that case...we have more cap room than you! LOL

I don't know why Buffalo wouldn't qualify him though or at least trade his rights. They gave up a 1+ for him only to not qualify him over ~$3.5 Million?

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

In that case...we have more cap room than you! LOL

I don't know why Buffalo wouldn't qualify him though or at least trade his rights. They gave up a 1+ for him only to not qualify him over ~$3.5 Million?

Well they have Risto and Jokiharju (sp?) along with Miller already signed for the RHD. Secondly, they are one of the teams projected to have a low to mid 70s salary cap next season due to Covid. Lastly, they are a tirefire of an organization are prone to doing dumb things.

• Like 2

Well they have Risto and Jokiharju (sp?) along with Miller already signed for the RHD. Secondly, they are one of the teams projected to have a low to mid 70s salary cap next season due to Covid. Lastly, they are a tirefire of an organization are prone to doing dumb things.

Well, reading more on him, I'm not sure how much of a fit he'd be for us. I mean, we'd probably score a lot under Ruff if we had a right side of Subban (even if he only rebounds a little), Severson and Montour. However, we'd still have that if we kept Smith on the right side as well so it's probably a moot point bringing in Montour.

God, you wanna talk about a tire fire? How bout the left side of our blue line? LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well, reading more on him, I'm not sure how much of a fit he'd be for us. I mean, we'd probably score a lot under Ruff if we had a right side of Subban (even if he only rebounds a little), Severson and Montour. However, we'd still have that if we kept Smith on the right side as well so it's probably a moot point bringing in Montour.

God, you wanna talk about a tire fire? How bout the left side of our blue line? LOL

I wonder if you guys take a flyer (pun intended) on Ghost from the Flyers. AV seems to be happy with Provarov, Sanheim and Hagg for the LHD, and Ghost under Ruff would probably give you similar results to Montour. Not sure what the cost would be, however I think he has a chance to rebound too.

I wonder if you guys take a flyer (pun intended) on Ghost from the Flyers. AV seems to be happy with Provarov, Sanheim and Hagg for the LHD, and Ghost under Ruff would probably give you similar results to Montour. Not sure what the cost would be, however I think he has a chance to rebound too.

I'm all for it but the cost would probably be prohibitive due to both being in the Metro. I'm not sure what they'd want but I'm not trading a 1st for him after last season.

My only question when it comes to Ghost is who do we pair him with? Subban? He's likely our most defensively responsible RHD. Severson needs a defensive partner and Smith is more of the same.

But we'd have to them move Butcher in a deal because he simply doesn't fit with Severson or Smith. Maybe Winnipeg would take him.

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Problem with Ghost is that he's better playing his off hand, which is the right side. With Subban and Severson already slated into the top two positions there, and Ty Smith also one of those off handed players, I don't know if we do it or not. I have looked into Ghost a few times....he's....intriguing for sure. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

My only question when it comes to Ghost is who do we pair him with? Subban? He's likely our most defensively responsible RHD. Severson needs a defensive partner and Smith is more of the same.

But we'd have to them move Butcher in a deal because he simply doesn't fit with Severson or Smith. Maybe Winnipeg would take him.

Ghost typically plays his off hand on the right side. Definitely where he's more comfortable and better. 

That Taylor's lost step dude kills me. He really does basically advocate for the devils acquiring anyone and everyone the minute reports are that someone wants out or is available. Seriously. He does it every time. Now he's talking about how it makes so much sense for us to go out and get MAF LOL. Like, what in the world? Yeah, lets spend > 13M on goalies, with 10.5M of that being on backs ups and guys not playing (that's with the buy out on cory, if we don't buy out cory, it's seriously 13.5 Million in cap space for 2 back ups LOL)

• Like 1