Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Yeah, unless we pick #1 again, I want Drysdale. We need that high impact top pairing dman regardless of what side he plays on. He's getting Cale Makar/Drew Doughty type hype. I know we shouldn't draft for need but there's a clear case for Drysdale being the 2nd best player in this draft. 

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, unless we pick #1 again, I want Drysdale. We need that high impact top pairing dman regardless of what side he plays on. He's getting Cale Makar/Drew Doughty type hype. I know we shouldn't draft for need but there's a clear case for Drysdale being the 2nd best player in this draft. 

Adding on to this, I fully expect Arizona to fall off a cliff once Darcy Kuemper returns to being, well, Darcy Kuemper, so I expect that Coyotes pick to be middle of the 1st to early 20s at worst. So, if we can come out of this draft with Jamie Drysdale (top pairing, elite potential dman) and, say, Will Cuylle (strong, physical goal scoring wing), this draft would be a home run regardless of how the rest of it plays out. Of course, projecting Cuylle there is playing it safe. He's anywhere from a mid-1st to a early 2nd type prospect right now (but he's perfect for us IMO). If someone falls inexplicably (like Caufield did last year or Smith the year before), then, yeah, go BPA. Just love what Cuylle offers as a big, physical goal scoring 2 way player. His upside isn't the greatest but he's easily a top 6 forward. 

EDIT - I've actually seen Cuylle as low as 67th so he could be in play for our 3rd rounder which is even better! God, if this season is truly a waste and we don't go on some absurd run, just get me to June so I can follow the draft lol.

EDIT #2 - Well, I guess he's not a good skater so that's what's got him as such a enigmatic prospect. He's got all the tools you want, you'd just need the skating to click, which is easier said than done. Still, I'd kill to land him in the 3rd round range and see if it works out but he's probably off our list with the Coyotes pick. 

Edited by beekay414

Actually, the more I read, the more perfect this draft gets as far as our needs go. Lots of really good defensemen (LHD especially) and bigger goal scoring wingers. All in all, I think I'm going to love the 2020 draft. Probably not as much as the 2019 draft, though. That draft was borderline perfect, especially with Tyce Thompson becoming a scoring machine at Providence.

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Actually, the more I read, the more perfect this draft gets as far as our needs go. Lots of really good defensemen (LHD especially) and bigger goal scoring wingers. All in all, I think I'm going to love the 2020 draft. Probably not as much as the 2019 draft, though. That draft was borderline perfect, especially with Tyce Thompson becoming a scoring machine at Providence.

Little weak at the top for d men. Pretty much Drysdale and then a huge drop. And he's another super tiny dude. I really like the top 7 or so in this one. Byfield is perfect to center Hughes line if you want to put him at wing. Lafreniere is perfect if you want to keep Hughes at center. I love how much of a spark plug Raymond is. Total agitator. Holtz is the really good goal scoring type we need, so he fills a good need. Drysdale is by far the best dman. Stutzle is damn good.

We will probably draft Rossi, because we need more 67s lol

Gunler is a guy I'm looking at if we keep the coyotes first. Especially if we draft Drysdale first

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Little weak at the top for d men. Pretty much Drysdale and then a huge drop. And he's another super tiny dude. I really like the top 7 or so in this one. Byfield is perfect to center Hughes line if you want to put him at wing. Lafreniere is perfect if you want to keep Hughes at center. I love how much of a spark plug Raymond is. Total agitator. Holtz is the really good goal scoring type we need, so he fills a good need. Drysdale is by far the best dman. Stutzle is damn good.

We will probably draft Rossi, because we need more 67s lol

Gunler is a guy I'm looking at if we keep the coyotes first. Especially if we draft Drysdale first

Size doesn't seem to be a problem for Drysdale. He plays bigger than he is. 

Gunler is this year's Kaliyev. So much talent, so maddening to watch. 

50 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Size doesn't seem to be a problem for Drysdale. He plays bigger than he is. 

Gunler is this year's Kaliyev. So much talent, so maddening to watch. 

I'd be less concerned about the size of he were playing in liiga, the shl or DEL, where he's playing older, bigger players, but I'm not sure how well we can tell when he's playing against a lot of younger players

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be less concerned about the size of he were playing in liiga, the shl or DEL, where he's playing older, bigger players, but I'm not sure how well we can tell when he's playing against a lot of younger players

He's the same size as Makar despite being 3 years younger. I'm not worried.

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Damn, this is a fun game. That top line of Nico / Bratt / Palms is crushing it. 

I know people said we shouldn't say it but.... we're a better team without Taylor Hall. It's not an indictment on Hall, himself. It's an indictment on the coaching staff and the "make Hall do everything" style they employed since his crazy *** run to the Hart. There's a reason Nico played his best hockey of his career when Hall went down. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I know people said we shouldn't say it but.... we're a better team without Taylor Hall. It's not an indictment on Hall, himself. It's an indictment on the coaching staff and the "make Hall do everything" style they employed since his crazy *** run to the Hart. There's a reason Nico played his best hockey of his career when Hall went down. 

I definitely think that Hall was a distraction this year. In previous years, I think we were better with him, but I think this year was a disaster for both Hall and the team in terms of cohesion, focus...and of course there was that Hynes dude behind the bench. So I do agree that the team itself, because it's functioning smoother with the players still here, is better without Hall.

Thank god Nas has Bratt up there with Nico and Palms. Like seriously, I can't believe the amount of times Hynes scratched him or put him on the 4th line. We need to figure out how to get Jack away from Wood + Simmonds (god, that is terrible lol), but I've largely been okay with what Nas has done from a lineup perspective. Still some weird decisions here  and there, but I think you get that with every coach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Why Hughes isn't with Coleman is beyond me. Wood is like the worst possible fit with Jack lol. 

I don't know if you're watching, but you'll be happy to know that Wood has learned how to pass. Granted, he has seriously learned to pass in this game while starting point blank at wide open nets with the puck on his stick....

He's so freaking terrible. And he took the bad double minor that resulted in one of the Toronto goals. 

I think the problem with the Coleman thing is that Nas loves the Goose / Zajac / Coleman trio. It very much limits Goose offensively, but it holds him up and keeps him from cratering defensively as much. As this point though, I'm ready to give it a shot. We need to have 2 functional scoring lines. Throw Hughes / Boqvist / Gusev together, let them get caved in some together, but see what's there. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know if you're watching, but you'll be happy to know that Wood has learned how to pass. Granted, he has seriously learned to pass in this game while starting point blank at wide open nets with the puck on his stick....

He's so freaking terrible. And he took the bad double minor that resulted in one of the Toronto goals. 

I think the problem with the Coleman thing is that Nas loves the Goose / Zajac / Coleman trio. It very much limits Goose offensively, but it holds him up and keeps him from cratering defensively as much. As this point though, I'm ready to give it a shot. We need to have 2 functional scoring lines. Throw Hughes / Boqvist / Gusev together, let them get caved in some together, but see what's there. 

Or put Wood where he belongs, on the 4th line, and put Jesper with Jack. Especially if he's adamant about keeping Coleman, Zajac and Goose together. At least Boqvist has the ability to do something with Jack's ability. Wood is such a lost cause at this point. He's that kid from Mighty Ducks that can skate fast but can't stop. It's embarrassing.