Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the flip side, either Bahl or Smith has been on the I've for all six of Russia's goals, I believe

I'm not worried about Juniors stat lines. I wanna know how they did in their own assignments. Otherwise, all these defensemen are gonna suck with all these 5-4, 6-3 type games lol. 

37 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm not worried about Juniors stat lines. I wanna know how they did in their own assignments. Otherwise, all these defensemen are gonna suck with all these 5-4, 6-3 type games lol. 

I feel like they should just go ahead and hold the draft now. I feel like it's in the best interest of me. 

Also, really hoping that we get a first for Vats. Man, I'd really love to have a third first round pick in this draft. It doesn't have a ton of great scorers in my opinion, but I think there's a lot to like at the beginning and end of the first round. 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like they should just go ahead and hold the draft now. I feel like it's in the best interest of me. 

Also, really hoping that we get a first for Vats. Man, I'd really love to have a third first round pick in this draft. It doesn't have a ton of great scorers in my opinion, but I think there's a lot to like at the beginning and end of the first round. 

We'll get something legit for Vats. Don't see him extending even though he's clearly our best dman. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

We'll get something legit for Vats. Don't see him extending even though he's clearly our best dman. 

Yeah, it sucks he won't stick around, but we have to do what we have to do. That's really the crap part of this new rebuild. What do you do with guys like Vats, Palms, Coleman? These are important pieces, but I have no idea why they would want to stick around, and Coleman / Palms will be signing their new deals starting at age 30. We have a few guys who are actually quality nhlers that we are going to have to replace, so the holes we already have with them on the roster is still there lol. 

• Like 1

Still very early in the season (well, about halfway for some teams), but Arizona is about to fall out of the playoffs. I know the idea of 2 first round picks is awesome, but I just think it's highly unlikely that happens, so I'm rooting for the Coyotes to bomb the rest of the way so that we can end up with a second good pick. Can't end up in the lotto, of course, but give me pick #8, and I'm happy. I'd rather have that then pick 24 this year and another pick in the mid 20's next year anyway (assuming both conditions can be met). 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Still very early in the season (well, about halfway for some teams), but Arizona is about to fall out of the playoffs. I know the idea of 2 first round picks is awesome, but I just think it's highly unlikely that happens, so I'm rooting for the Coyotes to bomb the rest of the way so that we can end up with a second good pick. Can't end up in the lotto, of course, but give me pick #8, and I'm happy. I'd rather have that then pick 24 this year and another pick in the mid 20's next year anyway (assuming both conditions can be met). 

We get their pick unless they win the lottery so what did you mean that two first round picks is unlikely?

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We get their pick unless they win the lottery so what did you mean that two first round picks is unlikely?

The condition to get the second first round pick is that they have to win a playoff series + re-sign Hall. I find both of these occurring unlikely. Plus, in that scenario, even if we landed both first round picks, they'd both likely be in the mid 20's, so I'd rather just hope that they collapse this year to get a superior first round pick now as opposed to hoping they do well this year and re-sign Hall, giving us the second first round pick the following year. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The condition to get the second first round pick is that they have to win a playoff series + re-sign Hall. I find both of these occurring unlikely. Plus, in that scenario, even if we landed both first round picks, they'd both likely be in the mid 20's, so I'd rather just hope that they collapse this year to get a superior first round pick now as opposed to hoping they do well this year and re-sign Hall, giving us the second first round pick the following year. 

Lol my bad. I thought you meant two 1sts this season including ours. Didn't put it together that you meant the additional Arizona pick. 

• Like 1

Mackenzie Blackwood: 30 G, 2.85 GAA, .907 SV%, 787 SV, 13-10-5, 1 SO
Carter Hart: 27 G, 2.41 GAA, .911 SV%, 591 SV, 13-8-3, 1 SO

Blackwood faces 29 shots per game with a .907 SV% while Hart faces 24 shots per game with a .911 SV%. I'm trying to figure out why Hart is a franchise goalie and Blackwood supposedly isn't. Obviously, Blackwood's GAA isn't good but that's also majorly influenced by who he has in front of him. I firmly believe Blackwood is just as good as Hart. He's just in a ****tier situation.

Blackwood was also better than Hart last year too. I get that Hart's 21 (22 in August) and Blackwood just turned 23 but I'm failing to see the major separation between the two. Am I wrong here?

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Mackenzie Blackwood: 30 G, 2.85 GAA, .907 SV%, 787 SV, 13-10-5, 1 SO
Carter Hart: 27 G, 2.41 GAA, .911 SV%, 591 SV, 13-8-3, 1 SO

Blackwood faces 29 shots per game with a .907 SV% while Hart faces 24 shots per game with a .911 SV%. I'm trying to figure out why Hart is a franchise goalie and Blackwood supposedly isn't. Obviously, Blackwood's GAA isn't good but that's also majorly influenced by who he has in front of him. I firmly believe Blackwood is just as good as Hart. He's just in a ****tier situation.

Blackwood was also better than Hart last year too. I get that Hart's 21 (22 in August) and Blackwood just turned 23 but I'm failing to see the major separation between the two. Am I wrong here?

I think it's close. Hart's probably been a little better overall, and is further along in his development maybe given the age difference, but I don't think that the difference between them is "Carter Hart, franchise goaltender" and "Mackenzie Blackwood, the Devils have goaltender issues". They were also similarly viewed prospects, to be honest. The only black mark that Mac has is that horrific showing two years ago in the AHL (I mean, the dude got shipped to the ECHL at ont point lol).  I think some people just wrote him off after that and thought that he was not going to be very good. Hart has never really had that implosion, and optically I think that matters. 

I think he's really good. He's not quite consistent enough, and I will admit, his puck control / rebound situation is pretty ugly at times, but he's good. Right now he's a platoon 1a/b without a platoon partner, but at some point down the line, I think he'll be a 55-60 solo 1a type. Goalies are a weird bunch to figure out too. Their growth is seldom linear, and consistency can be all over the map. 

• Like 1