Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I feel like, at 10, we'd take someone from that lower tier regardless. I don't see us taking Askarov. I think Seth Jarvis fits what we do the most out of everyone in that tier. He can flat out score, he skates really well and he's a RW, which we are sorely lacking in the system. Quinn has been the guy we've pegged but Jarvis is the far better skater so, assuming Fitzgerald has a similar philosophy and we retain Castron, Jarvis seems like he'd be the guy.

I was thinking more like someone took askarov and someone else jumped the gun for Sanderson so we got someone like holtz to fall.

But I do agree that odds were it was going to be someone from the next group.

Skating is a big thing for me. That's why I can't be excited by perfetti, though I would have been good with him at 10. Holtz at least has an elite shot with his competent skating. Perfetti has elite sense, but I don't know if that adapts as well with sub par skating at the next level 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was thinking more like someone took askarov and someone else jumped the gun for Sanderson so we got someone like holtz to fall.

But I do agree that odds were it was going to be someone from the next group.

Yeah, I got ya. How far can we fall with our pick? We're currently at 6 so, with this new format, the lowest we can go is 8, right?

Don't get me wrong, you want to have higher picks but I kinda want the Arizona pick to fall in the 11-15 range. Wouldn't feel pressured to take Perfetti or Askarov and we can take someone like Jarvis/Amirov/Mysak/Quinn that fit what we do and not consider it a reach. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I got ya. How far can we fall with our pick? We're currently at 6 so, with this new format, the lowest we can go is 8, right?

Don't get me wrong, you want to have higher picks but I kinda want the Arizona pick to fall in the 11-15 range. Wouldn't feel pressured to take Perfetti or Askarov and we can take someone like Jarvis/Amirov/Mysak/Quinn that fit what we do and not consider it a reach. 

I believe that we can fall to 9 if all the lotto spots are won by qualifiers.

The Arizona pick can be as high as 8, but if they win their qualifying round, it automatically drops to 16, and if they win the first round it's down to 24. Big swings with that pick. 

Hoping the Canucks lose so we get next years, but if they win, I'm hoping they lose in the first. Three picks in the top 16 is so damn appealing lol

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I believe that we can fall to 9 if all the lotto spots are won by qualifiers.

I would straight up die. I know we've had some lottery luck but, christ, that would be brutal. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The Arizona pick can be as high as 8, but if they win their qualifying round, it automatically drops to 16, and if they win the first round it's down to 24. Big swings with that pick. 

Yeah, I'm hoping that their offense just shuts down due to the extended break. I know that Kuemper is healthy now but they are easily one of the worst offensive teams in that "playoff." Just need to hope that the rust hurts goaltending more than it does offense.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hoping the Canucks lose so we get next years, but if they win, I'm hoping they lose in the first. Three picks in the top 16 is so damn appealing lol

I'm with you about the 3 top 16 picks but I kinda want that intrigue that comes with an unprotected 1st. Would be cool to land Luke Hughes for free! I mean, think about how lopsided that trade would be if Foote works out and we got Luke Hughes with that pick. 

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

beekay's 2020 NHL Draft Top 50
1. Alexis Lafreniere | LW | Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. Quinton Byfield | C | Sudbury (OHL)
3. Tim Stutzle | C/LW | Mannheim (DEL)
4. Marco Rossi | C | Ottawa (OHL)
5. Jamie Drysdale | RHD | Erie (OHL)
6. Lucas Raymond | LW | Frolunda (SHL)
7. Alexander Holtz | RW | Djurgarden (SHL)
8. Jake Sanderson | LHD | USNTDP (USHL)
9. Cole Perfetti | C | Saginaw (OHL)
10. Yaroslav Askarov | G | SKA (VHL)
11. Jan Mysak | LW | Hamilton (OHL)
12. Rodion Amirov | LW | Ufa (KHL) 
13. Seth Jarvis | RW | Portland (WHL)
14. Jack Quinn | RW | Ottawa (OHL)
15. Connor Zary | C | Kamloops (WHL)
16. Braden Schneider | RHD | Brandon (WHL)
17. John-Jason Peterka | RW | Munich (DEL)
18. Dawson Mercer | RW | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
19. Dylan Holloway | C | Wisconsin (B1G)
20. Anton Lundell | C | HIFK (Liiga)
21. Kaiden Guhle | LHD | Prince Albert (WHL)
22. Lukas Reichel | LW | Berlin (DEL)
23. Noel Gunler | RW | Lulea (SHL)
24. Mavrik Bourque | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)
25. Shakir Mukhamadullin | LHD | Ufa (KHL)
26. Marat Khusnutdinov | C | SKA (MHL)
27. Thomas Bordeleau | C | USNTDP (USHL)
28. Ty Smilanic | C | USNTDP (USHL)
29. Jeremie Poirier | LHD | Saint JOhn (QMJHL)
30. William Wallinder | LHD | MODO (Allsvenskan)
31. Hendrix Lapierre | C | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
32. Jacob Perreault | RW | Sarnia (OHL)
33. Justin Barron | RHD | Halifax (QMJHL)
34. Lukas Cormier | LHD | Charlottetown (QMJHL)
35. Zion Nybeck | LW | HV71 (SHL)
36. Daniil Gushchin | LW | Muskegon (USHL)
37. Topi Niemela | RHD | Karpat (Liiga)
38. Ozzy Wiesblatt | RW | Prince Albert (WHL)
39. Vasiliy Ponomarev | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)
40. Kasper Simontaival | RW | Taapara (Jr. A Liiga)
41. Jake Neighbours | LW | Edmonton (WHL)
42. Jack Finley | C | Spokane (WHL)
43. Ridly Greig | LW | Brandon (WHL)
44. Jean-Luc Foudy | C | Windsor (OHL)
45. Justin Sourdif | RW | Vancouver (WHL)
46. Brendan Brisson | C | Chicago (USHL)
47. Emil Andrae | LHD | HV71 (SHL)
48. Connor McClennon | RW | Winnipeg (WHL)
49. Will Cuylle | LW | Windsor (OHL)
50. Yan Kuznetsov | LHD | Connecticut (H-East)

So sell me on Sanderson? I don't understand the top 10 ranking for him. He's a fine prospect, heck he could probably play on your 3rd pairing next season and not drown, but I'm not sure I see the upside. I like Schneider more than him tbh.

I love your Mysak ranking, I think he's criminally underrated and hoping he falls to the Oilers due to his perceived lack of upside (which is rubbish). Amirov is the guy I hate that I don't love more. Wonderful playmaker, but he needs to iron out a few kinks. I disagree with your ranking of Perrault, but no Foerster?

Also not a fan of Chromiak? I know Brock Otten puck him ahead of Foerster and Perrault. I also think Reichel is underrated and he'll surprise people with how high he's picked. Same with Neighbours (whose game I really enjoy).

Nice list. Appreciate the work you put in.

• Like 1

Evolving wild's contract projection for Hall is 7 years at 8.5. that's kind of crazy. One, i certainly wouldn't be giving him 7 years, but 8.5 is some crazy loss of value given that I think he was looking at something more akin to panarins contract.

Honestly, think it's in his best interest to take a one year deal and try again if he's got it left in the tank. If he doesn't, he needs to take the best kind term deal he can

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Evolving wild's contract projection for Hall is 7 years at 8.5. that's kind of crazy. One, i certainly wouldn't be giving him 7 years, but 8.5 is some crazy loss of value given that I think he was looking at something more akin to panarins contract.

Honestly, think it's in his best interest to take a one year deal and try again if he's got it left in the tank. If he doesn't, he needs to take the best kind term deal he can

I never really thought he'd get a mega deal. Yes, he was a #1 overall pick and, yes, he won the Hart. However, he's never won and he's only ever exploded the year he won the Hart. I'm just glad we're not the team to have to make that decision. 

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I never really thought he'd get a mega deal. Yes, he was a #1 overall pick and, yes, he won the Hart. However, he's never won and he's only ever exploded the year he won the Hart. I'm just glad we're not the team to have to make that decision. 

I'd welcome him back with open arms for 1 year, 10 million, and the understanding that he's only going to be on the team for half the season lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd welcome him back with open arms for 1 year, 10 million, and the understanding that he's only going to be on the team for half the season lol

Of course. Who even has the money to pay him at this rate?

Just now, beekay414 said:

Of course. Who even has the money to pay him at this rate?

It's going to be super fascinating, right? Because there's no way in hell that the cap goes up. I really hope we can nab a promising player or good pick for a cap dump. And we better be in on that kind of trade too

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, beekay414 said:

I'm about to post my top 50. If you think 41 is too high for him...let me introduce you to the BK way LOL.

Scott Wheeler laughed at both you and Pronman and ranked Nybeck 24 lol. 

The talent is there to be ranked that high, but guy is maaaaaaaybe 5'7. That's scary

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Scott Wheeler laughed at both you and Pronman and ranked Nybeck 24 lol. 

The talent is there to be ranked that high, but guy is maaaaaaaybe 5'7. That's scary

Surprised you didn't give Wheeler **** here or on HF for having Perfetti at #4.

and having Stutzle at 7.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Surprised you didn't give Wheeler **** here or on HF for having Perfetti at #4.

I was actually going to comment on it, but apparently people are just willing to look past the skating deficiencies. If you are, he's an amazing talent. But with how important skating is in today's game is just such a big deal

Just now, Forge said:

I was actually going to comment on it, but apparently people are just willing to look past the skating deficiencies. If you are, he's an amazing talent. But with how important skating is in today's game is just such a big deal

Yeah. I've never seen a 2 PPG player as polarizing as Perfetti is.