Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

If Tampa Bay really does line something up for EK, they're going to have to shed some players / picks. Can't be helped. I don't know how they pull this off. A ton of their guys have at the very least a modified no movement clause, including the majority of their "bad contract" guys such as callahan. Callahan, Coburn, Stralman all have some sort of movement restriction and Girardi has a full blown NTC and those have to be the 4 guys that they are looking to trade out in order to fit EK into their roster. Given that they are also going to have to gut the system of prospects for EK, I don't know what carrot they can dangle for teams to take on their bad contracts. 

On the EK to TB thing, I like the idea of taking on Callahan's contract for assets from the lightning. It's 5.8 for two years. Kind of perfect if we aren't going to be active in free agency. Give TB a fifth, take Callahan and maybe koekkoek and  another asset?

1 hour ago, Forge said:

On the EK to TB thing, I like the idea of taking on Callahan's contract for assets from the lightning. It's 5.8 for two years. Kind of perfect if we aren't going to be active in free agency. Give TB a fifth, take Callahan and maybe koekkoek and  another asset?

I dont see Callahan agreeing to play for us

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I dont see Callahan agreeing to play for us

It's definitely possible that we are one of the 16 teams on his list. I wouldn't be surprised if we are. But if we aren't, man, I don't know...I'd just like to put that cap space over the next two years and treat it as an asset that we can work with, even if we aren't signing free agents, you know? I'm perfectly fine with using it to secure future assets. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's definitely possible that we are one of the 16 teams on his list. I wouldn't be surprised if we are. But if we aren't, man, I don't know...I'd just like to put that cap space over the next two years and treat it as an asset that we can work with, even if we aren't signing free agents, you know? I'm perfectly fine with using it to secure future assets. 

Absolutely 

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

So is Noesen. 

Coleman I actually understand to a point. Noesen makes no sense to me. I'd just as soon let him go to be honest lol. I mean, he had some nice moments, but even at his age, he pretty much is what he is and what he is really isn't that difficult to replace. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Coleman I actually understand to a point. Noesen makes no sense to me. I'd just as soon let him go to be honest lol. I mean, he had some nice moments, but even at his age, he pretty much is what he is and what he is really isn't that difficult to replace. 

Eh, he's got nothing to lose and is coming off his best year, so I understand it. Still only 25 as well. Also depends on how we feel about RW. We need all the help we can get over there.

Edited by bkobow05

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

Eh, he's got nothing to lose and is coming off his best year, so I understand it. Still only 25 as well. Also depends on how we feel about RW. We need all the help we can get over there.

So long as they don't get cranky at one another, no big deal. But sometimes those arbitration hearings lead to some nasty vitriol lol. 

Also, the more I look at this team, the more amazed I am that it made the playoffs. Pretty incredible. Taylor Hall absolutely deserved the Hart for what he did last year lol. Seriously, herculean effort. Really weak on the right side, weak 2c, injuries to Palm, Johansson...no left side defense whatsoever. 

Just now, Forge said:

So long as they don't get cranky at one another, no big deal. But sometimes those arbitration hearings lead to some nasty vitriol lol. 

Also, the more I look at this team, the more amazed I am that it made the playoffs. Pretty incredible. Taylor Hall absolutely deserved the Hart for what he did last year lol. Seriously, herculean effort. Really weak on the right side, weak 2c, injuries to Palm, Johansson...no left side defense whatsoever. 

And no sure fire goaltender either. It really was a miracle. Lots of fans will panic if we don't make the playoffs again this year but, in reality, we probably won't. Carolina has gotten a lot better and could make the playoffs in our spot should Petr Mrazek not suck. With that blue line in front of him, he's got no reason to. Florida is a threat as well. Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa, NYI, NYR and Buffalo are all teams that I don't really fear for that spot barring an unreal jump on Buffalo's end. Columbus could fall off a bit too though so there's going to be an opportunity for us. Even then, I'd probably bet on Florida and Carolina making it over us barring Taylor Hall going Superman again or a substantial jump from our 2nd year players and health from our vets.

It's crazy that Devs fans are bitching about losing Jacob MacDonald because "we need LHD" help. Do they not realize he is absolutely pitiful on the defensive end? We're talking about an AHL defenseman that put up 55 points but had a -26 +/-. NEGATIVE TWENTY SIX. He's nothing. He's fodder. They ***** about Severson in his own zone all the time but they want THAT clown up on our main roster? He's an absolute abomination on the defensive end.

@Forge

Whenever I see projected lineups, I always see Wood on the 4th line with Coleman on the 3rd. Is there a reason for that? I always have them reversed. Wood is 22 and coming off a 30+ pt season. Coleman is 26 and screams 4th liner. Or is Wood just a better fit for the 4th line? I'd think we'd want to take advantage of his speed with Zajac. Really think we'd be wasting him with Boyle next year.

10 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

@Forge

Whenever I see projected lineups, I always see Wood on the 4th line with Coleman on the 3rd. Is there a reason for that? I always have them reversed. Wood is 22 and coming off a 30+ pt season. Coleman is 26 and screams 4th liner. Or is Wood just a better fit for the 4th line? I'd think we'd want to take advantage of his speed with Zajac. Really think we'd be wasting him with Boyle next year.

I think it depends on what you are using the lines for. If you are using the Zajac fronted line as your defensive stopper since that's kind of the only thing that Zajac can really do,  I think it makes sense as Coleman is more trustworthy all around, and pretty tenacious in his defensive responsibilities. I'm not totally in love with Wood, but I see the upside. I think that he can be a consistent 20 goal scorer. Definite has goal scoring upside, but he kind of strikes me as similar to Michael Grabner. He's all speed, but he lacks a certain degree of skill and when you watch all the chances he creates with that speed, you wonder how he doesn't score 40 sometimes. I could never see Wood score that goal that Coleman did last year on the back hander (I'm going to assume you know the one I'm talking about). I don't think Wood has that type of skillset. He's also undisciplined and a bit out of control at times. But he's fast and can create with that speed.  So overall, I think Coleman is the more trustworthy player if you're using that line as your attempted shut down line. If you want to use it more or less as a third scoring line, then yeah, I think it makes more sense to have Wood there. 

Should also be noted that Wood got some time on the second line with Zacha and Maroon last year, and they played extremely well together and at one point, were really pushing the offense for about a week. So I think he could certainly be placed on a higher line, particularly a scoring one and be fine. 

24 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

It's crazy that Devs fans are bitching about losing Jacob MacDonald because "we need LHD" help. Do they not realize he is absolutely pitiful on the defensive end? We're talking about an AHL defenseman that put up 55 points but had a -26 +/-. NEGATIVE TWENTY SIX. He's nothing. He's fodder. They ***** about Severson in his own zone all the time but they want THAT clown up on our main roster? He's an absolute abomination on the defensive end.

They get weirdly aggressive about strange things LOL. 

• Like 1