Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

7 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P!

So happy for Taylor, man. Dude was our heart and soul all year. Flat out deserved the Hart.

Hell yes he did. It was weird how happy I was when I got the notification he won lol. Just an amazing season. Greatest by a devil forward ever in my opinion. I know that Chris Ryan did a write up on it a couple days ago and had it rated #1 too. He basically carried everything on his back. 

And lulz Oilers. Just because. 

IT WAS A ONE FOR ONE!!!

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hell yes he did. It was weird how happy I was when I got the notification he won lol. Just an amazing season. Greatest by a devil forward ever in my opinion. I know that Chris Ryan did a write up on it a couple days ago and had it rated #1 too. He basically carried everything on his back. 

And lulz Oilers. Just because. 

IT WAS A ONE FOR ONE!!!

Chia is my fave lol

Maybe he'll do us a solid and send us Klefbom for Wood or something lol.

• Like 1

Oof, looking at free agent projections, and sports illustrated projects a contract for Maroon of 4 years, 5.3M AAV. Man, I really liked Maroon last year, but I have to admit, if that's the price point, that's a hard pass for me. I'd be willing to do 2 / 10 paying a premium for the shorter deal, or maybe 3/13 or something. 

21 hours ago, Forge said:

Oof, looking at free agent projections, and sports illustrated projects a contract for Maroon of 4 years, 5.3M AAV. Man, I really liked Maroon last year, but I have to admit, if that's the price point, that's a hard pass for me. I'd be willing to do 2 / 10 paying a premium for the shorter deal, or maybe 3/13 or something. 

Yeah, I'm not giving Maroon that deal. You don't pay power forwards that kind of contract.

6 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Still beyond ecstatic that we actually landed Smith. That's absurd value at 17. 

Absolutely. Once we were up, I was really wondering if we were going to take him. Seemed too perfect to actually happen lol. It sucks that we don't have a second because there is some serious talent and value there, but once we got to 17 and he was still there, I didn't want to trade down

Someone over on the HF Devils board made a great point about JVR. He's a better, younger version of Pat Maroon and he was pretty damn good for us so, as he said, it wouldn't be a shock if we go hard after JVR instead of overpaying Maroon.

57 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Someone over on the HF Devils board made a great point about JVR. He's a better, younger version of Pat Maroon and he was pretty damn good for us so, as he said, it wouldn't be a shock if we go hard after JVR instead of overpaying Maroon.

They only thing is, that's going to take a good sizeable deal. I think 4-5 years and I don't know how much cap Shero wants to invest there in fa with Nico, Hall land butcher all coming up. Jvr would be nice for sure, I'd be shocked if we are serious contenders there tbh. I'm guessing he gets in the area of 7 per, yeah? I just don't think Shero is spending out that big. 

I'm expecting much smaller deals. Maybe bringing maroon back depending on his market, otherwise De haan to replace Moore (who's probably going to get a stupid deal from someone), and I could see instead of JVR, targeting vanek for one or two years (also think that we could use a right hand shot up front, so he fits that too). 

I'm also still patiently waiting for us to make a trade lol. Free up cap space for a team like WPG to re-sign Stastny, just go after some of these younger guys who are being shopped around. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

They only thing is, that's going to take a good sizeable deal. I think 4-5 years and I don't know how much cap Shero wants to invest there in fa with Nico, Hall land butcher all coming up. Jvr would be nice for sure, I'd be shocked if we are serious contenders there tbh. I'm guessing he gets in the area of 7 per, yeah? I just don't think Shero is spending out that big. 

I'm expecting much smaller deals. Maybe bringing maroon back depending on his market, otherwise De haan to replace Moore (who's probably going to get a stupid deal from someone), and I could see instead of JVR, targeting vanek for one or two years (also think that we could use a right hand shot up front, so he fits that too). 

I'm also still patiently waiting for us to make a trade lol. Free up cap space for a team like WPG to re-sign Stastny, just go after some of these younger guys who are being shopped around. 

Yeah, I'm just spitballing with JvR. I really like the kid and think he fits in real well. Honestly, if my choice is JvR at $7 Million or Maroon at $5, I'm giving JvR the money easily. Either way, Shero is going to do what he does best. Make trades. Just patiently waiting for it.

Also, still can't believe we got Ty Smith. StevenToddIves over on the HF Devils board, who is a really good draft guy, said he thinks Smith is a bonafide #1 defenseman prospect. Not the 3-4 man that the TV pundits thought. I really, really hope he's right.

9 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah, I'm just spitballing with JvR. I really like the kid and think he fits in real well. Honestly, if my choice is JvR at $7 Million or Maroon at $5, I'm giving JvR the money easily. Either way, Shero is going to do what he does best. Make trades. Just patiently waiting for it.

Also, still can't believe we got Ty Smith. StevenToddIves over on the HF Devils board, who is a really good draft guy, said he thinks Smith is a bonafide #1 defenseman prospect. Not the 3-4 man that the TV pundits thought. I really, really hope he's right.

Oh yeah, I'll take JRV in a heartbeat as well. Having a goal scorer like that would be so huge on a second line. Maroon is a nice piece, but he's complimentary and he's not going to carry a line, even a second or third line. JVR could help carry a second line, and maybe get Zacha going. I'm open to Maroon at 5m only if it's on a two year deal, just because it slides in nicely against the contracts coming up shortly and it's not a long term commitment and it does help make the team better. But I'm with you. I'm still assuming that there is a quality trade coming down the pipeline. 

I'm stoked about Smith. He looks like a legit 1 LHD to me. Between he, Butcher and Vatanaan, we could have some really nice power play depth too. He's just so smart with the puck. I'd be happy if he's a left handed version of Rafalski. Think that would be a huge win, and I don't think using Rafalski as his baseline is out of line either. 

Talk is a similar deal to Kane, so 7/49 give or take. 

If the Devils want to bring back defenseman John Moore, they're going to have a lot of competition. Moore is set to hit the free-agent market following three seasons in New Jersey, and with the crop of defensemen fairly thin, Moore has draw interest from upwards of 12 teams around the league, according to TSN

I feel like he's going to get a much bigger deal than suspected. I'm thinking close to 5 AAV. Which to me is insane. He's an okay player, but he's a third defensive pairing type or a very low end #2 pairing guy. That's too much for that type of player if that's what he gets. I don't see a lot of value in giving him that much money. I think you can put in Santini and the drop off wasn't super crazy. If Moore had ever cashed in on the offensive skill that he has, it would have made it more of a question, but he hasn't. 

With the defensemen market so thin in free agency, it's not a surprise that Islanders defenseman Calvin de Haan is getting calls, despite playing just 33 games in 2017-18 due to injury.

TSN said as many as 10 teams reached out to de Haan over the opening days of the interview period, so he should be looking at a lucrative deal on July 1. He made $3.3 million in a one-year deal in 2017-18 with the Islanders, so it will be interesting to see if a team exceeds that in a contract offer, or if his injury keeps the bidding lower.

It has been extremely quiet on our end so far. I haven't heard us tied to anybody, including our own free agents for the most part. The most I've heard is that we can't be ruled out to bring Maroon back, but it's really not sounding that promising, and Grabner is all but out the door.