Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Man, I don't wish anything negative on anyone but, let's just say that I won't be upset with Marchand if he lays out Kucherov or Hedman. Both with dirty *** moves this series that went unpunished because those two are their superstars. Kucherov's was less dirty because, at least it was a hockey move. He just happened to drill Vatanen in the head and not the shoulder. Hedman cup checking Hischier was straight bull**** though. 

Hope Boston destroys them and I hate Boston.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Man, I don't wish anything negative on anyone but, let's just say that I won't be upset with Marchand if he lays out Kucherov or Hedman. Both with dirty *** moves this series that went unpunished because those two are their superstars. Kucherov's was less dirty because, at least it was a hockey move. He just happened to drill Vatanen in the head and not the shoulder. Hedman cup checking Hischier was straight bull**** though. 

Hope Boston destroys them and I hate Boston.

Yeah, the Hedman one was just dirty. He easily should have been suspended. The fact that they didn't is a joke. I'm with you on Kucherov - should have been suspended on precedent, but the hit at least made sense and I don't think that there was anything intentionally dirty there. 

I'm just rooting for Vegas now lol

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, the Hedman one was just dirty. He easily should have been suspended. The fact that they didn't is a joke. I'm with you on Kucherov - should have been suspended on precedent, but the hit at least made sense and I don't think that there was anything intentionally dirty there. 

I'm just rooting for Vegas now lol

Absolutely ridiculous that they didn't get punished in any single way. Not even a fine. I love hockey but the NHL is going the way of the NBA where superstars play with a different set of rules.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

And, no. I didn't expect to win the series. Not that naive. Just picked up a huge disdain for the Lightning after watching them. 

Me too. I didn't think we would win it...thought it would be a little more competitive. The last two games were kind of hard to watch to be honest. 

I had a little more confidence in taking the series than I probably should have just based on the regular season, but I never really thought we were going to take it down. 

At this point, I'd like to re-sign Maroon. Let Grabner walk. Let Moore walk. Trade Severson. Let Santini battle for that 6th defenseman role with Lovejoy Trade for a defenseman. Any chance Jonas Brodin would be made available I wonder? I know that they were fielding offers earlier in the season. Edler does work as well and probably wouldn't be super pricey as a one year rental. He's a solid short term fix in my opinion. There have to be some other guys out there though, and I would suspect that Shero will be looking to deal. I really would like to have a big, physical stay at home defenseman as well. I know that they don't quite fit in with out team philosophy, but we seriously got crushed in front. We do need more back end grit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

@Forge

How feasible is a trade up for Ty Smith and signing John Carlson?

less than 5%?

I think if we like Ty Smith, the odds that we could get him would be pretty decent. I think he's a fringe top 10 guy, and with a little luck, a trade up wouldn't even be necessary. But if he makes it to that 11-12 range and we really like him, I don't think we have any issue being able to make a trade to get there, even if our stockpile of picks is a little light this year do to previous trades. I said earlier that I woudl suspect some of the system to be trade bait, and I think we have a few guys that could make that trade work. So I think that if we really like him, there's a pretty good chance that we can make that happen. 

Carlson would be the tricky one. We aren't exactly a FA hotbed, though we could certainly offer the money. Putting him out there on an open market though? I think those odds would probably be about 5% 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think if we like Ty Smith, the odds that we could get him would be pretty decent. I think he's a fringe top 10 guy, and with a little luck, a trade up wouldn't even be necessary. But if he makes it to that 11-12 range and we really like him, I don't think we have any issue being able to make a trade to get there, even if our stockpile of picks is a little light this year do to previous trades. I said earlier that I woudl suspect some of the system to be trade bait, and I think we have a few guys that could make that trade work. So I think that if we really like him, there's a pretty good chance that we can make that happen. 

Carlson would be the tricky one. We aren't exactly a FA hotbed, though we could certainly offer the money. Putting him out there on an open market though? I think those odds would probably be about 5% 

I just want Ty Smith. Kid has no business being available past the top 8.

Edited by bkobow05

58 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Also @Forge

Sign John Tavares or John Carlson? Which would you prefer?

TBH, Carlson. Its fun to day dream about JT + Hall, but for the team, I think this makes more sense. We have young forwards who are coming up and several others I'm hoping will improve. Zacha will be the big one...he needs to become more of an offensive force. I suspect Nico will get better - the 50 point season looks good, but honestly, he only had a 50 point season because Hall had a 90 point one lol. If he hadn't played with Hall all year, I think it's likely he's closer to a 35 point scorer. So he's going to need to make some strides. So offensively, I want a more balanced approach. I want to really have solid scoring 6 deep and then have a 20 goal scorer in Wood and some 12-15 goal scorers like Zajac, Coleman, etc on the back two lines. 

Then there's the issue of cost. JT may get what, 10 million a year? Maybe more? I know we don't need that money now, but we may in a few years, particularly when Hall is a FA and getting that 10 million dollar deal himself. Carlson I suspect to get something along the lines of 7 / 56? Vlasic got 8/56, and I think Carlson is better and will be on the open market. But Carlson should age well into that contract, at least for 4-5 years of it. So I like the idea of grabbing him, then potentially adding a Van Riemsdyk on the wing at 6 mil on the second line or maybe go a little more short term and get Nash on a 2 year pact. He would then come off the books around the same time as Zajac, and Green, and right when some of these younger guys will start cashing in, including Hall. I think Nash has a couple more years left of 20 goals a pop. I still would like to see a legit 2C...That is supposed to be Zacha, but he hasn't lived up to it. I still want to sign Maroon as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

TBH, Carlson. Its fun to day dream about JT + Hall, but for the team, I think this makes more sense. We have young forwards who are coming up and several others I'm hoping will improve. Zacha will be the big one...he needs to become more of an offensive force. I suspect Nico will get better - the 50 point season looks good, but honestly, he only had a 50 point season because Hall had a 90 point one lol. If he hadn't played with Hall all year, I think it's likely he's closer to a 35 point scorer. So he's going to need to make some strides. So offensively, I want a more balanced approach. I want to really have solid scoring 6 deep and then have a 20 goal scorer in Wood and some 12-15 goal scorers like Zajac, Coleman, etc on the back two lines. 

Then there's the issue of cost. JT may get what, 10 million a year? Maybe more? I know we don't need that money now, but we may in a few years, particularly when Hall is a FA and getting that 10 million dollar deal himself. Carlson I suspect to get something along the lines of 7 / 56? Vlasic got 8/56, and I think Carlson is better and will be on the open market. But Carlson should age well into that contract, at least for 4-5 years of it. So I like the idea of grabbing him, then potentially adding a Van Riemsdyk on the wing at 6 mil on the second line or maybe go a little more short term and get Nash on a 2 year pact. He would then come off the books around the same time as Zajac, and Green, and right when some of these younger guys will start cashing in, including Hall. I think Nash has a couple more years left of 25 goals a pop. I still would like to see a legit 2C...That is supposed to be Zacha, but he hasn't lived up to it. I still want to sign Maroon as well. I

I agree with most of that. I'm just not sure we have the $$$ to bring in JVR and Nash. 

14 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I agree with most of that. I'm just not sure we have the $$$ to bring in JVR and Nash. 

Probably not JVR if we are signing Carlson. But I like that type of player. I'll be curious to see what Nash gets...he was not good for the majority of this year, but he was playing with the Rangers. When he hooked up with Boston, he was just fine again it seemed like. Maybe it's a pipe dream to think that he gets 4 million per, but that's what I'm hoping for. Stastny would make a great 2c for us, but same problem - I dont' think he's signing on at 4 million a pop. I think you can count Vanek in that group as well. 

My guess though is that we don't sign a big name guy like Carlson. I could see someone like Jack Johnson. Coming off a meh year, seems to want out of Columbus at this point. Scibisa would have to be in play too. But if we don't go with Carlson, my favorite would probably be De Haan on the back end. Then on the front end, someone like Derek Ryan could make some sense as a 3c / 2c type that would alternate with Zacha / Zajac depending on who is struggling. He's solid on faceoffs, okay offensive producer, though nothing super great. He should be very affordable though. Just seems like a New Jersey type of signing. Bozak could be the slightly more expensive, superior option there too. There's always the Yakupov option. Also, I feel that it's almost a requirement that New Jersey sign a guy named Rocco Grimaldi. He seriously has to play for New Jersey at some point. The team is obligated to make that happen.