Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

I just cannot do it with Out of Business, man. Anything positive gets posted about Jack or Nico and he's immediately there with his "herr derr goals and assists" bull****. It's so ******* tiring reading it and people still engage him. 

• Like 1

The more I think about it, if it comes down to a winger (Holtz/Raymond) or Sanderson at #7, I'm taking Sanderson. We can get a damn fine winger with the Arizona pick so it makes more sense to take Sanderson in that scenario. The only way I'm not taking Sanderson at #7 is if one of Rossi, Drysdale or Perfetti are there and Perfetti is 50/50 due to the fact that he's likely a winger. The opposite option would be to take the winger at #7 and trade Arizona's pick for Sergachev.

STI sold me on the possibility of a Sanderson/Smith lineup in the future. Would fill a HUGE organizational hole and the hardest position to fill in the league (top pairing LHD) and allows us to keep Smith on the side he thrives at (which also helps with organizational need at RD). 

Sanderson and Quinn/Mercer/Jarvis is a 100% home run draft for me. That's not even including getting Vancouver's pick.

EDIT - Nevermind, I'm almost assured that Anaheim will take Sanderson if he's there so he's got no shot to get to us. It's Drysdale that does, though. Still, if it comes down to Drysdale or Rossi, I'm gonna be happy while also being sad. Why? Because I want both lol. 

Screw it, we're getting the 9th pick from Arizona after Montreal wins Lafreniere and the Blackhawks upset the Oilers. 

Edited by beekay414

As I say that, I think I see how it'll play out before us which completely ruins that plan...

1. ??? - Alexis Lafreniere
2. LA Kings - Quinton Byfield
3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle
4. Detroit - Cole Perfetti
5. Ottawa - Jamie Drysdale
6. Anaheim - Jake Sanderson

and we get our pick of Rossi, Raymond or Holtz

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

As I say that, I think I see how it'll play out before us which completely ruins that plan...

3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle

Ottawa and Detroit make or break our pick tbh. This draft is gonna be wild.

Just for fun...

Draft
We end up with all three picks in 2020 as Nashville ousts Arizona (but they do not win the lottery - Montreal does, giving us #10) and the Canucks oust the Wild easily but lose in the first round of the SCP giving us, say, 17.

1.7 - Marco Rossi
1.10 - Jack Quinn 
1.17 - Seth Jarvis

Draft falls as follows: typical top 3, Perfetti at 4, Holtz at 5, Sanderson at 6 and we take the Ottawa guy over Drysdale, despite the need. We go with BPA this time rather than potentially another Zacha over Provorov though Drysdale is insanely good too. We lose out on our chance to fill a huge organizational void with the LHD and we do not reach on a dman at the other two picks. We simply stick to our board and gain talent. The #1 LHD continues to be a mystery to us. 

Free Agency/Trades
Trade Will Butcher to a contender for futures (because I have no idea what to project)
Sign RW Craig Smith
Sign LHD Brenden Dillon
Sign LHD Jon Merrill
Sign LHD Nathan Beaulieu
Sign G Laurent Brossoit
Buyout Cory Schneider

Lineup
Boqvist | Hischier | Palmieri
Bratt | Zajac | Gusev
Zacha | Hughes | Smith
Wood | McLeod | Anderson

Dillon | Subban
Merrill | Severson
Beaulieu | Smith

Blackwood | Brossoit

Reasoning for the forward groupings: Boqvist isn't ideal for the top line LW spot but I don't want to break up Bratt and Goose. I also didn't want to have Bratt, Hughes and Goose together for defensive purposes so I've got Zajac manning those two on line #2. Zacha can help hide Hughes on defense and Craig Smith is a good enough goal scorer that he could take advantage of Hughes' magical setups. The 4th line is whatever. It can be anyone of our young forwards (Janne, Merkley, etc). I also traded Butcher because he doesn't fit with any of our right side. 

Yes, we still end up sucking but it's whatever. We then get more futures for Palmieri and potentially Gusev at the deadline and continue the slow af rebuild. There's really no way to make a significant impact this offseason and I left out the obvious one (trading a pick + for Sergachev or Dunn) just because I don't think it happens. I know our entire left side is basically low end #2s to high end #3s but I'd rather do that than force Smith out of his comfort zone. 

I don't know, man. We're close but I don't know what moves to project going forward outside of trying to get Sergachev. You typically do more research on that than I do lol.

Edited by beekay414

Honestly, I would trade the Arizona and Vancouver picks for 5 and 33 if it meant landing Sanderson and Rossi. Would also leave us a shot at another really solid forward at 33. It makes too much sense and allows us to finally friggin' address the massive issue in our system. 

Hell, I'd do it if it meant Sanderson and Holtz/Perfetti. Basically, I'd do it no matter what because we get Sanderson and still land a top tier forward out of the deal. 

And with the way drafts fall, you KNOW a first round grade forward will fall to 33. 

Edited by beekay414

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle

So I know Cosentino said Perfetti to Detroit, and he's been right a lot the past few years, but his explanation was basically Saginaw is close to Detroit. If they don't think Rossi is a C and don't want to a pick a winger that high, I wonder if they take Sanderson at 4. They've got Seider and Hronek at RHD, if they believe in Sanderson's upside, their future D looks really good. Word is Stutzle is favoured by the Kings as of right now (which I know doesn't factor in).

I also think Anaheim takes Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz over Rossi (I think it'll be Raymond). Rossi is the superior prospect (seriously his performance in the minors this season was historically good), but his size is going to give a lot of teams pause. I disagree but I've seen it happen too many times to see front offices don't like taking risks much. So you guys will have your pick of Rossi, Perfetti and Holtz.

Edited by Canadian Saint
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I just cannot do it with Out of Business, man. Anything positive gets posted about Jack or Nico and he's immediately there with his "herr derr goals and assists" bull****. It's so ******* tiring reading it and people still engage him. 

Yeah, I tend to just ignore the guy. Some of his stances are just awful. There's another guy just like him. One of them actually said that they would be disappointed if Nico ended up as Bergeron. Like, are you kidding me? LOLOL. 

But it's a disease over there man, just in different ways. Like, you prove what they are saying to be patently false, and they will stick by it. One guy kept talking about how Sanderson was a late riser, and he clearly isn't in the eyes on the NHL (McKenzie's rankings had him 16th to start the season, 9th at mid season, 8th at final) and yet he keeps harping on his "rising late" as a reason to avoid him. 

That JRFischer guy I won't even engage. He's an idiot, and he's a troll. The fact that he's dumb just makes it even more insufferable. Thankfully, there are some good ones. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The more I think about it, if it comes down to a winger (Holtz/Raymond) or Sanderson at #7, I'm taking Sanderson. We can get a damn fine winger with the Arizona pick so it makes more sense to take Sanderson in that scenario. The only way I'm not taking Sanderson at #7 is if one of Rossi, Drysdale or Perfetti are there and Perfetti is 50/50 due to the fact that he's likely a winger. The opposite option would be to take the winger at #7 and trade Arizona's pick for Sergachev.

STI sold me on the possibility of a Sanderson/Smith lineup in the future. Would fill a HUGE organizational hole and the hardest position to fill in the league (top pairing LHD) and allows us to keep Smith on the side he thrives at (which also helps with organizational need at RD). 

Sanderson and Quinn/Mercer/Jarvis is a 100% home run draft for me. That's not even including getting Vancouver's pick.

EDIT - Nevermind, I'm almost assured that Anaheim will take Sanderson if he's there so he's got no shot to get to us. It's Drysdale that does, though. Still, if it comes down to Drysdale or Rossi, I'm gonna be happy while also being sad. Why? Because I want both lol. 

Screw it, we're getting the 9th pick from Arizona after Montreal wins Lafreniere and the Blackhawks upset the Oilers. 

I have no problem with Sanderson at 7. I think it's fine to make that decision if we are picking 9-11. If Arizona wins their playoff and we end up in the middle or back end of the first, I may re-evaluate, but for now, assuming we are at 7 & 10 or whatever, I think it's perfectly logical to grab the one defender available worth the selection in that area and then grabbing the forward with the next pick, given the depth of the class. Sanderson isn't my #7, but I have him #10 right now, and before all is said and done, I may move him ahead of Perfetti. Am I really going to complain about splitting hairs like that? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, I would trade the Arizona and Vancouver picks for 5 and 33 if it meant landing Sanderson and Rossi. Would also leave us a shot at another really solid forward at 33. It makes too much sense and allows us to finally friggin' address the massive issue in our system. 

Hell, I'd do it if it meant Sanderson and Holtz/Perfetti. Basically, I'd do it no matter what because we get Sanderson and still land a top tier forward out of the deal. 

And with the way drafts fall, you KNOW a first round grade forward will fall to 33. 

I'd take the Ottawa deal in a heart beat. Would love having 5 and 7 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I tend to just ignore the guy. Some of his stances are just awful. There's another guy just like him. One of them actually said that they would be disappointed if Nico ended up as Bergeron. Like, are you kidding me? LOLOL. 

But it's a disease over there man, just in different ways. Like, you prove what they are saying to be patently false, and they will stick by it. One guy kept talking about how Sanderson was a late riser, and he clearly isn't in the eyes on the NHL (McKenzie's rankings had him 16th to start the season, 9th at mid season, 8th at final) and yet he keeps harping on his "rising late" as a reason to avoid him. 

That JRFischer guy I won't even engage. He's an idiot, and he's a troll. The fact that he's dumb just makes it even more insufferable. Thankfully, there are some good ones. 

I made the mistake of engaging Jim. God, what a clown. He says that you can find "what Nico does in the 2nd round" every year or whatever (paraphrasing), I then show him that, from 2010-2015, only 5 players have posted 50+ point seasons from the center spot. He then goes "only centers, ugh, okay" and then says I have a fascination with centers. It's like DUDE NICO IS A FRIGGIN' CENTER. So, no, you can't draft some random winger to do what Nico does. He's so ******* caught up in points that he's blinded by it. Or, as most suspect, he's just putting on a schtick and being an internet turd intentionally.

13 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I know Cosentino said Perfetti to Detroit, and he's been right a lot the past few years, but his explanation was basically Saginaw is close to Detroit. If they don't think Rossi is a C and don't want to a pick a winger that high, I wonder if they take Sanderson at 4. They've got Seider and Hronek at RHD, if they believe in Sanderson's upside, their future D looks really good. Word is Stutzle is favoured by the Kings as of right now (which I know doesn't factor in).

I also think Anaheim takes Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz over Rossi (I think it'll be Raymond). Rossi is the superior prospect (seriously his performance in the minors this season was historically good), but his size is going to give a lot of teams pause. I disagree but I've seen it happen too many times to see front offices don't like taking risks much. So you guys will have your pick of Rossi, Perfetti and Holtz.

For sure. It's gonna be wild and I have no idea who we'll have the shot at. I just know we're gonna get a high impact player. I do have this inkling that one of Rossi or Drysdale is gonna fall to us and I'm gonna go nuts. We need pure goal scorers but, with having Arizona's pick and potentially Vancouver's, we don't have to take Holtz/Raymond at #7. I'd much rather have Rossi/Drysdale and then Quinn/Jarvis/Mercer with the Coyote pick than take Holtz/Raymond at 7.

Edited by beekay414

So, here's a long shot, never gonna happen, type question...

We use our pick to land a sure fire stud forward (say Marco Rossi), right? Would you be willing to use Arizona's AND Vancouver's pick to get Sergachev AND Dunn? Both St. Louis and Tampa are really tight against the cap and, with it staying stagnant over the next few seasons, they could possibly both be had for those picks. 

Say we trade Reilly Walsh's rights and Vancouver's pick (unprotected 2021) or Arizona's pick (higher this year) to Tampa for Sergachev and then turn around and trade the other pick straight up for Dunn and, say, St. Louis's 3rd. How big of a pipe dream is that? Is that something you'd even consider? Or do you think there's a way to get Dunn without giving up a 1st? 

St. Louis has to pay Pietrangelo and they have literally nothing of any significance coming off the books AND he's due for a raise. The only way they can retain Dunn is by moving on from Pietrangelo tbh because I don't think anyone is taking on Steen, Bozak or Perron's deal for a late first with a flat cap.

Tampa's in the same situation and they have to pay Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli with only around $5 Million coming off the books completely (not including those guys ELC hits). I'm not sure Tampa would turn down a cheap ELC defenseman and a top 10/11 pick in 2020 or a high pick in 2021 in return for Sergachev.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

https://theathletic.com/1899817/2020/07/02/mock-expansion-draft-4-0-what-the-seattle-nhl-team-might-look-like-next-year/

Their goaltending situation would be ridiculous if that played out (Raanta, Murray, Demko).

Yeah, I read that earlier. I had read reports that bean was a guy who has to be protected and could get chosen. I would hope given the state of our blue line that we would make a trade for him prior to that happening

• Like 1