Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I want to be very careful with boqvist as weird as it sounds, but I'm okay with this.  If I can't put him in a top six role, I think I want him to stay on the top line in the ahl. He's never going to be a bottom six guy in my opinion, he's top six or not cutting it.  Kuokkanen, Joey, merk... They can survive in the bottom six and survive and grow. 

I do too but there's no guarantee that there's an AHL season, thus why I included him. I think he'd highly benefit from a full season on the top line in the AHL. The timing of this just sucks. I don't think the AHL will be able to operate without fans like the NHL could. The benefit of having a TV contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I do too but there's no guarantee that there's an AHL season, thus why I included him. I think he'd highly benefit from a full season on the top line in the AHL. The timing of this just sucks. I don't think the AHL will be able to operate without fans like the NHL could. The benefit of having a TV contract.

Ugh, i totally forgot about that

• Like 1

He's still pretty damn small and we're pretty set on the right side, assuming we let Smith play there. 

Do you know if we played Smith on the left or the right during camps? I never bothered to check

I love that Ruff lets his players carry the puck into the zone. We've got two guys that are wizards with the puck (Hughes and Gusev) and another who is a strong puck handler (Nico). I think Ruff's gonna do excellent things for the progress of our offense. Ty Smith is also a good puck carrier so I'd expect him to thrive as well.

The longer this hire dwells, the better I feel about it. As @Canadian Saint said, Ruff could be our Torts.

Just now, Forge said:

That left side is such a disaster. 

We need to sign two guys on that side. I'd go hard after Dillon to pair with Severson and then see if Greene will come back to mentor Smith. I can live with...

Dillon | Severson
Butcher | Subban (Subban is good enough defensively to cover for Butcher)
Greene | Smith

I love that Ruff lets his players carry the puck into the zone. We've got two guys that are wizards with the puck (Hughes and Gusev) and another who is a strong puck handler (Nico). I think Ruff's gonna do excellent things for the progress of our offense. Ty Smith is also a good puck carrier so I'd expect him to thrive as well.

The longer this hire dwells, the better I feel about it. As @Canadian Saint said, Ruff could be our Torts.

It's not the worst selection, probably wasn't the best, but the freak outs were over done.  I get the impetus for hiring him. I do think it's the next coach that gets the glory though. He just needs to work with the young guys and make them better

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

He just needs to work with the young guys and make them better

Yep. That's basically what I said on HF. The only thing that matters right now is the development of our youth. Hynes stagnated it for 5 years, we need someone that'll help it thrive and Ruff's done that at both of his stops so he makes total sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Another thought is, with there likely being no AHL, what about Kevin Bahl making the jump? He doesn't have a lot left to gain from Juniors. 

I think it depends on if you are committing to him. I really hated what we did with boqvist, and don't want a repeat. 

He's ahl eligible though I'm pretty sure, because he's 20 now. So maybe you wait on the ahl to make a decision either way

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I think it depends on if you are committing to him. I really hated what we did with boqvist, and don't want a repeat. 

He's ahl eligible though I'm pretty sure, because he's 20 now. So maybe you wait on the ahl to make a decision either way

But what do we do if the AHL cancels their season? Are Juniors likely to cancel too and everyone is out on a year of development?

How do you feel about extending Gusev? I'm all for it. He was a 55 point pace player last year and that's with Hynes stagnating him for the first half the season. I think he could flat out take off with Ruff.

I think we probably won't, but I'm fine with extending him at 4 years max. Hell, I'm fine with extending palms provided it's not an idiotic six year deal. 

Honestly, flat cap and covid could help in that regard. Shorter deals are expected