Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

I think it's hilarious that The Athletic just released this article considering what we've been arguing about on HF for the past few weeks...

https://theathletic.com/1886565/2020/07/08/the-next-ones-can-nico-hischier-be-the-next-nathan-mackinnon/

The article basically confirms exactly what we've been saying in support of Nico while Jim's been doing his "herr derr PPGZ" schtick. 

I wanted to post it on HF but there's no team thread right now.

Edited by beekay414

Also, the more I sit on it, the more I think I'd be in favor of taking the best goal scorers in the draft that we can. Rossi is a hoss but I think, if we get all 3 picks, coming out of the draft with Holtz, Quinn and then one of Amirov, Mercer, Mysak, Jarvis, Peterka or Gunler could be the way to go. Yes, we lack a true #1 dman but, unless we get Drysdale or Sanderson, we're not getting one this draft so why take Guhle or Schneider at 17? Take the forwards and then shoot the moon later on raw dmen starting at the top of the 4th.

Of course, I'm still probably taking Rossi over Holtz because it's not like the guy can't score himself. Plus, he's someone that can drive a line and a power play, something we sorely lack both right now and in the pipeline.

Edited by beekay414

18 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Fitzy got the job and hired Lindy Ruff. Hoping he's just a stopgap and one of the assistant coaches we bring on is the future HC. 

So I know the whole "recycling NHL coaches" thing is a factor, but I will say a fit between a head coach and team can really impact how they are perceived. I'll give two examples. Torts before being hired for CBJ was seen as an over the hill head coach who was out of touch. Goes to CBJ, and turns that franchise around. Develops well, plays a progressive style of hockey and gets results. Hell he lost Bobrovsky and Panarin and still got the most out of talent. The other example is my own Oilers. After Tippett's stint in Arizona, the idea around him was that he was a trap coach, regardless of the fact that with Dallas he made a lot of players have career years. Now a year later, he's got Drai and McDavid as 1 and 2 for NHL scoring. He's improved our goalie and defensive performance. He's intergrated and develops a few young guys too. Not to mention, the Oilers have a historically good special teams.

The big key for Ruff IMO is going to be his defensive coach. Ruff is good for offense, but I think he needs a strong #2 who can balance his approach. From what I remember he was pretty good at implementing systems too. I think this will be a good hire for you guys, depending on if you guys invest in good assistant coaches. That will make or break this hire.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I know the whole "recycling NHL coaches" thing is a factor, but I will say a fit between a head coach and team can really impact how they are perceived. I'll give two examples. Torts before being hired for CBJ was seen as an over the hill head coach who was out of touch. Goes to CBJ, and turns that franchise around. Develops well, plays a progressive style of hockey and gets results. Hell he lost Bobrovsky and Panarin and still got the most out of talent. The other example is my own Oilers. After Tippett's stint in Arizona, the idea around him was that he was a trap coach, regardless of the fact that with Dallas he made a lot of players have career years. Now a year later, he's got Drai and McDavid as 1 and 2 for NHL scoring. He's improved our goalie and defensive performance. He's intergrated and develops a few young guys too. Not to mention, the Oilers have a historically good special teams.

The big key for Ruff IMO is going to be his defensive coach. Ruff is good for offense, but I think he needs a strong #2 who can balance his approach. From what I remember he was pretty good at implementing systems too. I think this will be a good hire for you guys, depending on if you guys invest in good assistant coaches. That will make or break this hire.

I'm fine with the hire, generally. At the very worst, he's going to be great for Jack's and Nico's offensive development, perhaps even Ty Smith's. We may still suck under him but we're gonna be fun to watch.

33 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@Forge I didn't watch the presser but apparently Fitzy said that Nas is still on the staff. 

Interesting. Don't see that happen often. 

I don't hate it. Honestly, seems like a good fit between ruff and Nas with regards to what they do. Peddle down on offense, hope the defense holds up. 

I really do think Nas would benefit to working under someone else for a couple years. May be good for his coaching career

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Interesting. Don't see that happen often. 

I don't hate it. Honestly, seems like a good fit between ruff and Nas with regards to what they do. Peddle down on offense, hope the defense holds up. 

I really do think Nas would benefit to working under someone else for a couple years. May be good for his coaching career

Thing is, I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. Literally nobody mentioned it and the NHL Network guys said they commend Nas for the way he handled it all and then got left out of it. I guess I'll wait for a formal announcement that he's part of the staff.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Thing is, I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. Literally nobody mentioned it and the NHL Network guys said they commend Nas for the way he handled it all and then got left out of it. I guess I'll wait for a formal announcement that he's part of the staff.

As long as kowalsky is gone, everything else is gravy. I'm tired of seeing a PP that has no adjustments and can be designed by a twelve year old

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

As long as kowalsky is gone, everything else is gravy. I'm tired of seeing a PP that has no adjustments and can be designed by a twelve year old

I'm just looking forward to watching a team with structure and a plan. Hynes suppressed so much, man. I kinda feel like this is very similar to the Bucks going from Kidd to Budenholzer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes and Nico take an immediate step, like Giannis did, under a real HC. I don't think Hughes will do what Seguin did but I'm likely to bet the over on his point total for next year. Ruff let's his guys carry the puck into the zone and Hughes is a wizard at that so he's gonna thrive under Lindy.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'm just looking forward to watching a team with structure and a plan. Hynes suppressed so much, man. I kinda feel like this is very similar to the Bucks going from Kidd to Budenholzer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes and Nico take an immediate step, like Giannis did, under a real HC. I don't think Hughes will do what Seguin did but I'm likely to bet the over on his point total for next year. Ruff let's his guys carry the puck into the zone and Hughes is a wizard at that so he's gonna thrive under Lindy.

I really want to let the kids play, too. Give me merk, kuokkanen, Joey up with the big club

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I really want to let the kids play, too. Give me merk, kuokkanen, Joey up with the big club

I fully expect Kuokkanen to be LW3 next year. If we don't sign a free agent LW, then Boqvist will get his chance as well. I'd much rather go with the youth than sign another Wayne Simmonds. 

Bratt | Hischier | Gusev
Boqvist | Hughes | Palmieri
Kuokkanen | Zacha | Anderson
Wood | Zajac | Merkley

is what I'd like to see if we don't get a sure fire top 6 winger (Hoffman) in free agency. I know Boqvist hasn't shown that he deserves to be a top 6 winger yet but, with Hughes and Palms, he'd be asked to do a lot less than with Zacha and Anderson. You put Kuokkanen with those two and let him be the line driver because he's a playmaking winger. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That also doesn't include Marco Rossi, should he be the 7th overall pick and makes the NHL leap like people think he can. 

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I fully expect Kuokkanen to be LW3 next year. If we don't sign a free agent LW, then Boqvist will get his chance as well. I'd much rather go with the youth than sign another Wayne Simmonds. 

Bratt | Hischier | Gusev
Boqvist | Hughes | Palmieri
Kuokkanen | Zacha | Anderson
Wood | Zajac | Merkley

is what I'd like to see if we don't get a sure fire top 6 winger (Hoffman) in free agency. I know Boqvist hasn't shown that he deserves to be a top 6 winger yet but, with Hughes and Palms, he'd be asked to do a lot less than with Zacha and Anderson. You put Kuokkanen with those two and let him be the line driver because he's a playmaking winger. 

I want to be very careful with boqvist as weird as it sounds, but I'm okay with this.  If I can't put him in a top six role, I think I want him to stay on the top line in the ahl. He's never going to be a bottom six guy in my opinion, he's top six or not cutting it.  Kuokkanen, Joey, merk... They can survive in the bottom six and survive and grow.