Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like the first point of business will be a defenseman. I just have to believe that. I could see us acquiring a middle six forward if we aren't 100% sure that Boqvist is going to be able to come in and play top 6 minutes, but the defense is the bigger thing, I think. This team got into the playoffs 2 years ago on the back of a herculean effort by Hall. Last year, we were pretty awful. It's clear that the team, as structured, is not a true cup contender at the current point in time. If we want to keep Hall, and compete, upgrades have to be made, and I think that starts defensively. Problem is, I really don't love anything that is available out there LOL. 

I do like the idea of either signing Jordie Benn as a stopgap until Ty Smith is ready for heavy minutes or trading for Subban and moving Vats to the left side or trading him for a LHD. 

The sad part is that it's entirely possible the Flyers are the team that give him that contract and it scares the **** out of me. 

We trade Ghost for Kadri or some other 3rd liner and sign Tyler Myers is my somehow realistic nightmare. 

Edited by flyers0909

2 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

The sad part is that it's entirely possible the Flyers are the team that give him that contract and it scares the **** out of me. 

We trade Ghost for Kadri or some other 3rd liner and sign Tyler Myers is my somehow realistic nightmare. 

Don't you dare trade Ghost. He's literally the only thing I even remotely like about the Flyers lol.

So apparently Krebs tore his Achilles recently? Just read that. I wonder how bad that affects stock in the NHL draft.  I don't remember the last time something like that happened so close to the draft in the NHL. There's a part of me that things it won't hurt him too much, and another party of me that wonders if he's not there at 28/29 if we should trade up for him lol

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So apparently Krebs tore his Achilles recently? Just read that. I wonder how bad that affects stock in the NHL draft.  I don't remember the last time something like that happened so close to the draft in the NHL. There's a part of me that things it won't hurt him too much, and another party of me that wonders if he's not there at 28/29 if we should trade up for him lol

Everything I've read says he's not going to drop far, if at all. Achilles injuries are scary as hell though so I'm not sure I'd want to invest capital to move up for him. If he somehow falls to 34, sure, take that chance. That being said...he won't. 

If we move up, I want it to be for Robertson, Seider or Harley. Those guys would require probably moving up to the 18-23 range so that could get tricky. However, we need to cash in on our picks and make a splash. Robertson/Seider/Harley would give us a great foundation on the blue line with Smith, Davies, Jacobs and Walsh down the line. If we are looking at 28/29 range, I'd love to trade up for Lassi Thomson. Of course, there's also a very real chance that Lassi could be there at 34.

If we don't trade up and we manage to land Lassi at 34, I'd also love Case McCarthy at 55. I actually wouldn't be opposed to spending all our 2nd round picks on the blue line. Something like Thomson, McCarthy and Jake Lee/Mikko Kokkonen. Thing that sucks is both Lassi and McCarthy are best suited on the right side. But, as per any draft, you take the talent and figure it out later.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

For me, this would be the best possible outcome barring trade(s) up or trade(s) for veterans

1. Jack Hughes
34. Bobby Brink
55. Case McCarthy
61. Ryder Donovan
70. Jake Lee

Nice. Obviously, some of these guys may not be available at the time, hoping for a little tumble, but honestly, some of the rankings for these guys are all over the place that I could see them going anywhere. 

1. Hughes

34. Nils Hoglander (this may be a bit of a pipe dream, but it'd be my preference). Brink would be on my list here, as would Kaliyev if he just happens to fall...given the way people view him, he could certainly be a guy who goes in the top 15, or falls out of the first altogether. 

55 / 61 (these two are largely interchangeable, I suppose) - Kokkonen (his stock has fallen quite a bit, I'm seeing people with him in round three now, so I think he could still be here and I don't mind using one of these picks on him even if people think he's a third rounder) & Honka (as high as 22, as low as 80...no idea what to do with him, so I'm just going to hope that both of these guys fall into these spots). 

70 / 80 - Pyotr Kochetkov & Alex Beaucage (Pinto, preferred, but likely gone)

96 - Tuuka Tieksola (man, I raided the finnish teams lol, and I'm creating the only NHL team of midgets ever, which is why I wanted Beaucage or Pinto at 80). Would be willing to take him at 80, but honestly, I don't think that he's going to go that early. 

• Like 1

@Forge Would you be willing to take a chance on Olli Maatta? It's a discussion right now on Hockey's Future. I think I would assuming he's reasonably priced. He's limited and not what they thought he'd be when he first came up but he's been through some ****. He's still only 24 and under contract for 3 more years at $4 million. I think I'd gamble assuming they don't want anything more than a 3rd round pick. I think, if you pair him up with a good offensive Dman (Vats or Sevs), he'd be okay. 

37 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@Forge Would you be willing to take a chance on Olli Maatta? It's a discussion right now on Hockey's Future. I think I would assuming he's reasonably priced. He's limited and not what they thought he'd be when he first came up but he's been through some ****. He's still only 24 and under contract for 3 more years at $4 million. I think I'd gamble assuming they don't want anything more than a 3rd round pick. I think, if you pair him up with a good offensive Dman (Vats or Sevs), he'd be okay. 

Really tough call, honestly. I'm not a huge fan. I'm not sure I'd want to give up 4m for a guy I view as largely a third line pairing guy.  I'd rather just give mirco his 2 and keep him there honestly.  He's even younger than maatta and has a less scary injury history. 

I think it comes down to how you view him. If you see him as a potential reliable top four, you do it. I worry he's not. He could easily be an improvement over Mueller of course, he isn't very good, and his underlying numbers are okay in some instances but I'd rather shoot bigger first. If we miss out, then I start to look at that, I think

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really tough call, honestly. I'm not a huge fan. I'm not sure I'd want to give up 4m for a guy I view as largely a third line pairing guy.  I'd rather just give mirco his 2 and keep him there honestly.  He's even younger than maatta and has a less scary injury history. 

I think it comes down to how you view him. If you see him as a potential reliable top four, you do it. I worry he's not. He could easily be an improvement over Mueller of course, he isn't very good, and his underlying numbers are okay in some instances but I'd rather shoot bigger first. If we miss out, then I start to look at that, I think

I still think he could be a solid top 4 guy. He'll never be a top pairing blue liner but he's solid enough to not hate him. I think he's best when paired with an offensive dman and that's basically our entire right side.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1223045

My offseason. This is what I noted in the comments section because I couldn't figure out what the hell to do with the left side of the defense...

The defense on the left side isn't listed 1-4. It's basically interchangeable based on situation and injury, etc.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1