Louis Friend's Friday Mock

Louis Friend

Derrius Guice is my guy at #20, but I decided to try a no Guice mock draft with no trades. I chose guys that have been projected around the areas I picked them. Doesn't mean I think they'll all last this long, but it's my mock and I'll do what I want to. 

1. Marcus Davenport, DE UTSA- Davenport has been a projected pick of the Lions. He fills a need, has had numerous interactions with Lions officials and has a tie to Lions coach.

2. Nick Chubb, RB Georgia- Fills a huge need. Has met with the Lions at the combine and his pro day. Could go anywhere from mid first round to beginning of 3rd from the mock I've seen. 

3. Donte Jackson, CB LSU- Not the biggest need for the Lions but too valuable to pass up. Bob Quinn has discussed the depth and quality of the DBs in this draft. He's been dropping down in mocks and I'm not sure why. I could see the value in this round.

4. Will Clapp, OG LSU- Clapp is a quality interior lineman who I believe could be a starter. Hes great value in the 4th.

5. Da'Shawn Hand, DL Alabama- Hand is a solid pressure guy from the middle, but is athletic enough to move around. I believe he could play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3. 

7. Brian Allen, C Michigan State- Most late round picks go to athletic guys that can help on special teams, but I like the value here. He can compete with Wesley Johnson for backup C spot. 

Good mock. Guice is my favourite back but I would have no problem with Chubb.

I haven’t watched Davenport. Everything I’ve read indicates opinion is pretty split. Those that like him seem to really like him so if he pans out he could be a great piece to the defence and add to the versatility.

I like the mock and wouldn’t be upset at all if these were the selections made. I like that you didn’t draft a TE but I expect the Lions will.

My fear is with only 6 picks they draft RB,TE, and a 6 or 7 round WR. 

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Good mock. Guice is my favourite back but I would have no problem with Chubb.

I haven’t watched Davenport. Everything I’ve read indicates opinion is pretty split. Those that like him seem to really like him so if he pans out he could be a great piece to the defence and add to the versatility.

I like the mock and wouldn’t be upset at all if these were the selections made. I like that you didn’t draft a TE but I expect the Lions will.

My fear is with only 6 picks they draft RB,TE, and a 6 or 7 round WR. 

I'm not high on Davenport, he's raw, but has a good combo of size and athleticism. He reminds me of Ansah coming out. Ansah had one great year but hasn't been able to stay healthy. If Davenport could stay healthy, he could be a solid DE for a hybrid defense.

IMO, there are about 10 guys I could see in play for that first pick. Positions include DE, DT, RB, OG and even LB. None would surprise me depending on how the board falls. 

I could definitely see the Lions draft a TE. But none were BPA when I mocked. None were worth reaching for, for me. But everyone knows the actual draft never pans out like people mock. 

I actually like Nick Chubb , If I was drafting there were two backs I think are game changers Barkley and Chubb  I would grab him in the 1st round back end trade back get some more ammo & draft Chubb we need a talented back he fills that bill even if we stay pat in  the 1st round grab Chubb!

Then draft all defense with the rest of the picks!

On 4/21/2018 at 4:46 AM, Louis Friend said:

I'm not high on Davenport, he's raw, but has a good combo of size and athleticism. He reminds me of Ansah coming out. Ansah had one great year but hasn't been able to stay healthy. If Davenport could stay healthy, he could be a solid DE for a hybrid defense.

IMO, there are about 10 guys I could see in play for that first pick. Positions include DE, DT, RB, OG and even LB. None would surprise me depending on how the board falls. 

I could definitely see the Lions draft a TE. But none were BPA when I mocked. None were worth reaching for, for me. But everyone knows the actual draft never pans out like people mock. 

Some of the analysis that I have seen on Davenport is that he struggles with turning speed into power. This was apparently not the case for Ansah and allegedly Jim Schwartz tried to keep him under wraps until he blew up in the Senior Bowl game. He could be a solid player but too much of a question mark for me at this point. 

TE is likely going to be addressed but I feel that we will trade down and acquire extra picks. As a result, taking a TE isn't going to kill us. If we stay at 6 picks and take one or a later round WR then I will definitely not be thrilled. 

Overall it's a good draft. 

The BQ Whisperer

Archived