MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

would love to see Woodley vs GSP

Woodley has the wrestling and the athleticism/physique to stuff GSP's takedowns. but GSP has the striking skills (particularly his jab) to keep up in points even if he's not getting takedowns. It's a recipe for Woodley to have to craft something offensively.

It could very well end up with GSP picking Woodley apart. but Woodley's skills are definitely underrated (he's a better fighter now than when he got tooled by Rory), and when he's on the offensive it's something to behold (see Koscheck, Heron, Lawler).

obv gotta get through Till first. if Till makes weight, he's got a big shot to win. feel like he's a real tough matchup for Woodley. He's got the length and the boxing to stay ahead of Woodley in points, not to mention KO power. but Woodley's last opponents kinda played into Tyron's game. Maia because Woodley could negate his game with TDD, and Wonderboy because his kicks left him vulnerable to being under Woodley's top game.

Woodley doesn't use his wrestling offensively that often though, more just reactively (ala catching kicks). if Till can keep the distance with his striking and stay ahead, it's gonna force Woodley to do something different.

has anyone even watched Ariel's Monday MMA show since he moved to ESPN? haven't even seen one. i'd imagine it's reaching a broader audience, but i don't know any MMA fans that still watch it ever. seems like a ****ty decision at the time and now also. miss it popping up on youtube. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think Woodley is gonna win. Dude is so underrated in the MMA community. Then we get the biggesr WW MMA fight of all time.. Woodley vs GSP. That's the only GSP fight id be hyped about. Didn't about GSP vs Bisping or GSP vs Conor/Khabib. 

Penn vs GSP I >>>>

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

obv gotta get through Till first. if Till makes weight, he's got a big shot to win. feel like he's a real tough matchup for Woodley. He's got the length and the boxing to stay ahead of Woodley in points, not to mention KO power. but Woodley's last opponents kinda played into Tyron's game. Maia because Woodley could negate his game with TDD, and Wonderboy because his kicks left him vulnerable to being under Woodley's top game.

Woodley doesn't use his wrestling offensively that often though, more just reactively (ala catching kicks). if Till can keep the distance with his striking and stay ahead, it's gonna force Woodley to do something different.

Woodley's landed 5 takedowns in his entire UFC career. I really think he needs to use his wrestling Saturday night and not try to go toe-to-toe with Till.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Woodley's landed 5 takedowns in his entire UFC career. I really think he needs to use his wrestling Saturday night and not try to go toe-to-toe with Till.

Wow, really. I knew he didn't use his takedowns offensively, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Like I said before, kinda feel like this is a recipe for fireworks. Till likes to lead. He's got great hands. He should be able to get ahead on the cards early. Think we're going to see either Woodley throwing bombs or Woodley getting pieced up ala Marquardt. Fascinating matchup.

Just hope Till makes it to fight day. He's looking like a ghost already.

1 minute ago, Buckrock101 said:

Wow, really. I knew he didn't use his takedowns offensively, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Yep and 3 of them were vs Carlos Condit.

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Like I said before, kinda feel like this is a recipe for fireworks. Till likes to lead. He's got great hands. He should be able to get ahead on the cards early. Think we're going to see either Woodley throwing bombs or Woodley getting pieced up ala Marquardt. Fascinating matchup.

As someone who dislikes Woodley, I hope he gets pieced up. That Marquardt fight is still on of my favorites. Woodley got taken out with elbows and, last I looked, Till loves throwing them in the pocket. :D

3 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Just hope Till makes it to fight day. He's looking like a ghost already.

He was at 178 lbs earlier today IIRC. I think he'll make it. Conor always looked like Skeletor when he cut to 145 too. 

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He was at 178 lbs earlier today IIRC. I think he'll make it. Conor always looked like Skeletor when he cut to 145 too. 

man Till's out there looking like Paddy Pimblett right now. and 178 was what his nutritionist said, so it could potentially be more. I'm hopeful, but also pretty worried at the same time.

This better be his last time at 170.

1 minute ago, Buckrock101 said:

man Till's out there looking like Paddy Pimblett right now. and 178 was what his nutritionist said, so it could potentially be more. I'm hopeful, but also pretty worried at the same time.

This better be his last time at 170.

Yeah, who knows, but Till said, I believe on Wednesday, that he was at 182 so 178 makes sense for earlier today. Also, dude walks around at 90+ kilos (roughly 200 lbs) so he's killing himself to get to 170.