Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I don't care what the 'story' is from the Steelers or analysts, this was a 'desperate' pick.  The guys that Pittsburgh actually wanted were no longer available.  So they picked a guy that was on their board in a later round for fear he wouldn't be available rather than taking a guy that actually made sense and was worth the pick.  Dallas Goedert would've been a better choice here.

Stop acting like you have information you don't have just because you don't like the pick. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Sorry. I didn't know that was a fact. Here I was thinking we would have to actually watch him play. My bad. Terrible pick then. Terrible!

Mind giving me a....why? Or at least countering the quote of how a QB or a RB does?

Yes.  Because he's very raw, he lacks instinct.  He doesn't track the ball well.  All things we have issues with in Davis.  Takes bad angles on tackles, something that at the NFL level is going to lead to big gains in the run, something this defense already struggles with.  He most likely won't start.

At RB, that's easy, Bell has already stated his intent to sit out.  Guice or James or someone else at the position most likely starts or at least competes to start with Conner and contributes immediately.  

WR -- We just traded one that we felt was a nuisance and had no future here.  Could've got a slot receiver (not that I wanted on in R1)

TE -- Could have upgraded our speed/receiving capabilities (immediate contributor potentially)

QB -- Ben is always injured at least a couple games a season; what we have behind him doesn't inspire the ability to "stay in the hunt".  Rudolph or Jackson was, imo, worth grooming and would've given us more of an opportunity to win Ben-less games.

Edmunds -- I just don't see him as an immediate contributor.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yes and Yes.  Jackson was a guy I said needed a year to work on the throwing motion.  He's got that now.  Guice to me is this years David Johnson/Leveon Bell.  He needs a NFL training program to drop baby fat and get built.  He checks the boxes or size, power, catching, blocking.  Doesn't have breakaway speed but neither does Bell.  

And why does it have to be "next best thing"?  Both these guys have a high chance of being a game breaking player.

@warfelg when you say Guice doesn’t have breakaway speed it makes me wonder how much you’ve watched him play.  Guice is basically Ezekiel Elliott minus the vision.  He ran a 4.47(?) but plays faster.  Speed is not one of his weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I don't care what the 'story' is from the Steelers or analysts, this was a 'desperate' pick.  The guys that Pittsburgh actually wanted were no longer available.  So they picked a guy that was on their board in a later round for fear he wouldn't be available rather than taking a guy that actually made sense and was worth the pick.  Dallas Goedert would've been a better choice here.

Sadly not the first time Tombert has done this IMO.  I don't think Ziggy Hood was the guy in 09, Pouncey in 10 (although that worked for us), Burns in 16.  We've had it work in reverse for us before IMO with guys like Dupree, Jones, Mendenhall.

2 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

@warfelg when you say Guice doesn’t have breakaway speed it makes me wonder how much you’ve watched him play.  Guice is basically Ezekiel Elliott minus the vision.  He ran a 4.47(?) but plays faster.  Speed is not one of his weaknesses.

He doesn't get to it as quickly as I'd like to see.  He's a long stride guy, so he needs the open field to get it.

6 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Personality, family stability, psychological and aptitude tests, physicals are all things that we are unaware of.  We base off what we see on tape and also the combine.  They have way more information to make more better decisions.  I disliked Sean Davis, Bud Dupree, and Jarvis Jones picks as soon as they happened.  Edmunds only flaws are being too aggressive on playsction and double moves which suggests he needs more film study or that he just is an aggressive guy.  I like the demeanor that he has which is a fiery, passionate yet controlled rage when he’s on the field.  If harnessed properly, you getting a superstar.

He also doesn't play the ball well in the air and takes bad angles.  Most his INT's were in the box tip passes variety.  Best case you are getting Budda Baker, worst case Kenny Vaccaro.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I really really disagree.

As do I.  Especially considering I haven't seen us do enough on the defensive side of the ball to make me think we are going to get to the SB.  Denver's biggest question is QB, I honestly believe they're going to draft one, possibly Rudolph in R2.  Their defense is going to be scary good.  NE is always in the hunt.  Then you look at teams like Tennessee who just landed Evans, teams like Buffalo who might have just finally acquired their QB.  There's a lot of 'trump cards' and if they all actually pan out, we've done nothing yet to really fight back against it.

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Pittsburgh's selection was called "the drafts most head-scratching selection" 

by who? I don' like a RD4 talent taken in RD1 either especially with our needs on D, but as our other RD1 picks have shown , we must wait and find out.9_9

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

by who? I don' like a RD4 talent taken in RD1 either especially with our needs on D, but as our other RD1 picks have shown , we must wait and find out.9_9

A writer in the USA Today.  No one noteable, Lorenzo something or other.  It was in a "winners and losers" article, Pittsburgh was listed as a loser.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You're right, I don't have information.  That's nothing more than my opinion.  But the "reach" implies it.

Not really.   It implies they valued a player higher than media analysts and armchair QBs... It happens 

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not really.   It implies they valued a player higher than media analysts and armchair QBs... It happens 

I disagree.  When you look at the S strengths and weaknesses side by side, Edmunds falls out of the top 5 at the position.  This was unquestionably a reach.  So it's to imply 31 teams either got it wrong or Pittsburgh did.  I just find it hard to believe Pittsburgh was the 1 team that actually "got it right" on Edmunds.  I hope they did and I hope they prove me wrong but I think it'll be at least a couple of seasons before we see this guy have a marginal impact to our roster.

Archived