49ers Select Jullian Taylor, DT, Temple at #223 Overall

y2lamanaki

Interesting selection. He has some athletic upside, so I can't hate the pick. Surprised by the position, somewhat. He's strictly a UT in our scheme, as he's too small for the NT. He's going to be hard pressed to knock Day off the roster, I think, but should be a good PS guy. Raw, had a very good pro day though. Shows up well to be honest.  It's an upside projection with medical issues, the latter of which I don't love, but talent is fine. 

I really don't have issues with this pick. 

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Still no edge....sure would like to know what they are planning for improving the pass rush. Perhaps our answer is already on the roster....I hope. :(

To be honest, there were no EDGE guys I loved. I would have liked Landry, but he was out of our range. Obo was the only other guy that I was intrigued by, but I'm okay that we didn't get them. I sort of imagined we were going to have to go through this season with Attaochu, Harold, and everyone else already on the roster. This wasn't a great class for solving that problem. 

That's one thing I'm trying to remember. Don't understand a lot of what we did this draft, don't like a bunch of it, but we weren't going to fill all of our needs. I'm not longer concerned about DBs and depth on DL. We did get another linebacker and offensive threat. Next year we'll likely be looking at pass rusher first, and then OG and some sort of redzone threat. 

In b-ball these days teams often field 5 guys that are all abou the same size - maybe in the 6'5" ot 6'8" range.  I think our FO is shooting  to field a full front 7 on the 270-290 pound range. But just to be safe they've got some backups at the size on the roster too,

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

To be honest, there were no EDGE guys I loved. I would have liked Landry, but he was out of our range. Obo was the only other guy that I was intrigued by, but I'm okay that we didn't get them. I sort of imagined we were going to have to go through this season with Attaochu, Harold, and everyone else already on the roster. This wasn't a great class for solving that problem. 

That's one thing I'm trying to remember. Don't understand a lot of what we did this draft, don't like a bunch of it, but we weren't going to fill all of our needs. I'm not longer concerned about DBs and depth on DL. We did get another linebacker and offensive threat. Next year we'll likely be looking at pass rusher first, and then OG and some sort of redzone threat. 

Ill solve it for you in my Are You Smarter Mock.

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yup. I mean, punting the edge position was a valid choice in this draft. I said in the other thread that we can question the FO's lack of trading up for Landry in the second round when he fell, especially since we traded up for Pettis (a trade up for Landry would have made way more sense) but we sort of had crap for draft position with that big gap. Nobody was worth 9, at the end of 2/start of 3 you had some options, but I get liking others better. I still think Key may have been the choice at 95 had the Raiders not jumped up and got him. But after that, clearly we didn't value Sweat (possibly medical). 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

He seems like a guy who has some raw untapped potential. I'm fine with picks like this opposed to the Harris pick. 

This pick to me is the exact opposite of the Street pick...I don't like the Street pick because I don't see anything remotely special in anything Street does, so I don't see any ceiling that's worth waiting a year. This guy has some really nice measurables, and I'm fine with drafting on that upside at this point. It's a lotto ticket for potentially high upside. Street to me is not. 

just some info

Approximately 30 teams were on hand for Temple's pro day, and it was a sleeper defensive lineman who stole the show.

Jullian Taylor, a player not graded by scouts coming into the year, displayed next-level athleticism during the pro day. Taylor measured 6-foot-4-inches and 295 pounds. He timed as fast as 4.83 in the 40, completed 31 reps on the bench press and touched 33 inches in the vertical jump. He then put that athleticism on display during position drills.

Taylor, who we presently grade as a sixth-round prospect, was never mentioned by scouts entering the season. But a terrific senior campaign, including a 10-tackle, 4.5-tackle-for-loss performance against Central Florida, helped put him on the map.

Prior to today’s workout, Taylor had five private workouts for NFL teams, and tomorrow he’ll be working out for the Tennessee Titans. He has three official visits on his schedule, including the Arizona Cardinals. Last night he had a working dinner with the San Francisco 49ers.

There's much about our drat that I don't like. But one thing I love about all the moves the FO has made sicne they took over is the emphasis on speed and athleticism. Some of these guys may not turn out to be great football players, but I'd prefer fast, athletic scrubs to slow, awkward scrubs.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

There's much about our drat that I don't like. But one thing I love about all the moves the FO has made sicne they took over is the emphasis on speed and athleticism. Some of these guys may not turn out to be great football players, but I'd prefer fast, athletic scrubs to slow, awkward scrubs.

I agree completely. Glad this is the way we're evaluating guys. I don't love this draft for the team, but I love it for Madden 19. 

Archived