Vikings select...Devante Downs, LB, California

SemperFeist

17 hours ago, Krauser said:

He has a knee injury so all he did was the bench press. I don’t have insider, does it say where that number comes from?

It does not. I saw another site that had him as a 4.72 low to 4.85 high. Either way, he looks much faster on tape.

Just now, wcblack34 said:

It does not. I saw another site that had him as a 4.72 low to 4.85 high. Either way, he looks much faster on tape.

NFL draft scout does "projected 40" times with estimated ranges like that, but I think they make those numbers up just eyeballing the tape. 

Agree he plays fast. 

If the knee heals, this maybe the Vikings pick of this draft!  It's a shame it took all the way to the 7th for Spiels to get one right!!

• 2 months later...

Rookie linebacker Devante Downs is another seventh-round pick you shouldn’t overlook. Downs was a tackling machine as Cal’s middle linebacker before a torn ACL, his second, ended his college career. Now he’s back at practice for the first time since October as Vikings begin camp this week. Drafted 225th overall, Downs was the Pac-12’s only two-time Defensive Player of the Week before his midseason injury. He would’ve been drafted earlier if not for concerns over his knees.

Downs:  “I’ve been waiting a while. Getting out there is better than watching. Not some vendetta or anything, nothing like that. Just do everything to the best of my abilities and be ready.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cornerback-mike-hughes-learning-fast-nfl-playbooks-aren-t-the-ones-he-saw-in-college/489288411/

Good to see he's able to practice already. 

They need a backup LB who can get sideline to sideline and play coverage in nickel situations (in other words, replace Lamur). If he can play that style as a bigger guy than Wilson so much the better. Wilson/Brothers/Downs could be very respectable depth. 

Archived