Jump to content
Karnage84

THE STATE OF THE NFC NORTH

Recommended Posts

Now that the draft has come and gone, how do you see the Lions stacking up against the rest of the division? Which team is the most improved?

The Vikings seem to be the leader of the pack this year again. They added another top level CB to that defense in the draft. Holton Hill as a UDFA could easily be a guy that people talk about "why wasn't he drafted" in 3 years (or he'll be out of the league for multiple drug suspensions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vikings will probably be on top of the division for another year. I see the Lions and Packers both fighting for a wild card spot, with the Bears being surprisingly solid as well. It's going to be a really tough division to compete in this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

The Vikings will probably be on top of the division for another year. I see the Lions and Packers both fighting for a wild card spot, with the Bears being surprisingly solid as well. It's going to be a really tough division to compete in this year. 

I agree. The Bears are still a year or two away from being legitimate contenders. They aren't going to be pushovers, even though I suspect we'll sweep them this year. Packers are always competitive. They added some solid pieces in their secondary with Alexander and Jackson. Looking at their class, they have a ton of rookie WR's (3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PACKERS 2018 DRAFT PICKS

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Packers-NFL-Draft-Grading-the-Packers-2018-draft-picks--117805592

CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville: A

CB Josh Jackson, Iowa: A

LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt: B-minus

WR J'Mon Moore, Missouri: C-plus

OL Cole Madison, Washington State: B

P JK Scott, Alabama: C-minus

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, South Florida: C.

WR Equanimeous St. Brown, Norte Dame: B

DL James Looney, Cal: C

LS Hunter Bradley, Mississippi State: B

EDGE Kendall Donnerson, SE Missouri State: C-plus

 

UDFA

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

Jacob Alsadek, G, Arizona
Parris Bennett, ILB, Syracuse
Tim Boyle, QB, Eastern Kentucky
Austin Davis, C, Duke
Damon Gibson, WR, Minnesota-Moorhead
Raven Green, S, James Madison
Naashon Hughes, EDGE, Texas
CJ Johnson, LB, ETBU
Tyler Lancaster, DL, Northwestern
Alex Light, OL, Richmond
Filipo Mokofisi, DT, Utah
Marcus Porter, LB, Fairmont State
Kevin Radar, TE, Youngstown State
Chris Seisay, CB, Portland State

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Minnesota-Vikings-full-2018-NFL-Draft-tracker-for-each-pick-117788661

Round 1, Pick 30: Mike Hughes, Cornerback, UCF

Round 2, Pick 62: Brian O'Neill, Offensive Tackle, Pittsburgh

Round 4, Pick 102: Jalyn Holmes, Defensive Lineman, Ohio State

Round 5, Pick 157: Tyler Conklin, Tight End, Central Michigan

Round 5, Pick 167: Daniel Carlson, Kicker, Auburn

Round 6, Pick 213*: Colby Gossett, Offensive Guard, Appalachian State

Round 6, Pick 218*: Ade Aruna, Defensive End, Tulane

Round 7, Pick 225: Devante Downs, Linebacker, California

UDFA

Jeff Badet, WR, Oklahoma
Mike Boone, RB, Cincinnati
Curtis Cothran, DL, Penn State
Garret Dooley, OLB, Wisconsin
Armanti Foreman, WR, Texas
Holton Hill, CB, Texas
Tyler Hoppes, TE, Nebraska
Tray Matthews, S, Auburn
Hercules Mata’afa, DT, Washington State
Matt Linehan, QB, Idaho
Hercules Mata’afa, DT, Washington State
Trevon Mathis, S, Toledo
Tray Matthews, DB, Auburn
Kamryn Pettway, RB, Auburn
Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Miss
Roc Thomas, RB, Jacksonville State
Jake Wieneke, WR, SDSU
Jonathan Wynn, DE, Vanderbilt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHICAGO BEARS

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/here-are-all-players-bears-selected-2018-nfl-draft

First round, 8th overall: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Second round, 39th overall: James Daniels, C/G, Iowa

Second round, 51st overall: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

Fourth round, 115th overall: Joel Iyiegbuniwe, LB, Western Kentucky

Fifth round, 145th overall: Bilal Nichols, DT, Delaware

Sixth round, 181st overall: Kylie Fitts, DE, Utah

Seventh round, 224th overall: Javon Wims, WR, Georgia

UDFA

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

Dejon Allen, C, Hawaii
Abdullah Anderson, DL, Bucknell
Garrett Johnson, WR, Kentucky
Michael Joseph, CB, Dubuque
Nyles Morgan, LB, Notre Dame
Ryan Nall, RB, Oregon State
Elijah Norris, EDGE, UConn
Nick Orr, S, Texas Christian
Olubunmi Rotimi, DE, Old Dominion
Kevin Toliver, CB, LSU
Andrew Trumbetti, DE, Notre Dame
Cavon Walker, EDGE, Maryland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Now that the draft has come and gone, how do you see the Lions stacking up against the rest of the division? Which team is the most improved?

The Vikings seem to be the leader of the pack this year again. They added another top level CB to that defense in the draft. Holton Hill as a UDFA could easily be a guy that people talk about "why wasn't he drafted" in 3 years (or he'll be out of the league for multiple drug suspensions).

Bears top 3 picks are really good. Packer same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this team will surprise a lot of people this year. I believe anything less than 2nd in the north would be a disappointment. With the Division title in reach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s really hard to gauge until we see how the specific additions fit.

The other teams made some excellent picks but not all of them will be big contributers this year.

just blind speculation but this Lions team might be good with very good right around the corner.

It’s early but I think they push Minny all year falling short and getting a wild card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We slowly keep falling farther behind...

Quinn can only focus on one thing a year.. refuses to draft bpa like he some genius tricking everyone... I had us 2nd before the os began now I think we battle just to not get last in the division.. I'm highly disappointed in this os 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could wind up in 3rd place with an 8-8 season with Vikings (10-6), Packers (9-7). Or we could win the whole thing if Cousins struggles, the Vikings WR corp comes back to earth, Packers losses outweigh their additions; Patricia is an even better coach than we expected, etc. It's far too early to tell at this point. This is definitely one of the tougher divisions.

I just noticed the Vikes picked up Pettway, Johnson's Auburn backfield mate as a UDFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to choose to believe that Patricia's coaching will make an immediate difference until I'm shown otherwise. You don't change coaches not expecting the new one to make a difference, and they usually make a difference in their first year if they're going to at all.

The Lions have a competitive roster. There's no team in the league that doesn't have some kind of hole or weakness.

My expectations are the same as any team should have. Playoffs, playoff wins, division titles, championship. Any new coaching staff in this league gets 2, maybe 3, years to achieve those goals or show they're on their way to them. I expect the Lions to win the division or come very close to it. Now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I'm going to choose to believe that Patricia's coaching will make an immediate difference until I'm shown otherwise. You don't change coaches not expecting the new one to make a difference, and they usually make a difference in their first year if they're going to at all.

The Lions have a competitive roster. There's no team in the league that doesn't have some kind of hole or weakness.

My expectations are the same as any team should have. Playoffs, playoff wins, division titles, championship. Any new coaching staff in this league gets 2, maybe 3, years to achieve those goals or show they're on their way to them. I expect the Lions to win the division or come very close to it. Now.

That's my thinking as well. We seem to forget that we finished 9 -7 with a god awful run game. The Vikings are a very good team but they stood on their head after Bradford and Cook went down. Packers are always in the mix with Rodgers but they've had a lot of changes there as well. Chicago isn't the 2017 Browns but they are a team that is in need of developing before they become a consistent threat. Quinn and Patricia are high on the talent already on the roster, added some other pieces to help with the transition and are banking on coaching to make up the difference. They have two years to demonstrate they are on the right trajectory before I start to question things. We addressed our biggest weakness this draft while next year seems to be more stocked with Defensive Linemen.

I'm cautiously optimistic until they give me reasons not to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

That's my thinking as well. We seem to forget that we finished 9 -7 with a god awful run game. The Vikings are a very good team but they stood on their head after Bradford and Cook went down. Packers are always in the mix with Rodgers but they've had a lot of changes there as well. Chicago isn't the 2017 Browns but they are a team that is in need of developing before they become a consistent threat. Quinn and Patricia are high on the talent already on the roster, added some other pieces to help with the transition and are banking on coaching to make up the difference. They have two years to demonstrate they are on the right trajectory before I start to question things. We addressed our biggest weakness this draft while next year seems to be more stocked with Defensive Linemen.

I'm cautiously optimistic until they give me reasons not to be.

We were 9-7 by barely beating bad teams who's combined record was barely over 9 games. And Rogers was injured most of the year and that was two of our wins.  I agree and think that we have talent. If our line and run game can actually be a force we can be formidable similar to the Cowboys a couple years ago but with a better QB. I'm really excited to see how we do but last years success is not a reason for optimism in my option. 

And you are correct about next years class. Wow is it stacked. I wouldn't mind jettisoning off talent for picks and going all in on next years draft as the final piece(s)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Millenhater said:

We were 9-7 by barely beating bad teams who's combined record was barely over 9 games. And Rogers was injured most of the year and that was two of our wins.  I agree and think that we have talent. If our line and run game can actually be a force we can be formidable similar to the Cowboys a couple years ago but with a better QB. I'm really excited to see how we do but last years success is not a reason for optimism in my option. 

And you are correct about next years class. Wow is it stacked. I wouldn't mind jettisoning off talent for picks and going all in on next years draft as the final piece(s)

Agree that you can't take last year as the sole litmus test on how we will do this year. However, we played the games against the teams on our schedule and we came out on top 9 times even with all of our own warts. All you can do is play the games on your schedule and win. Whether it's by 1 point or 40 points, a W is a W. Quinn clearly feels that the talent on the roster is not indicative of that record and expects coaching to help boost that.

It's possible to see guys like Abdullah, Killebrew, Rudock sent for mid-late round picks and build up our draft capital for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×