Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Lol. No one is giving up a second for a one year rental WR coming off an ACL tear, particularly when that WR only has one good season to his name and wasn’t the most recent season. 

I think the whole "only one good season" narrative that's popped up re:ARob reeks pretty hard of bitter-ex syndrome tbh.  It's not a great look.

But yeah.  It's hard to imagine a team like the Bears would've given up not only the kind of salary space they did, but a premium draft pick on top of that.  They were all 'bout that draft action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tugboat said:

I think the whole "only one good season" narrative that's popped up re:ARob reeks pretty hard of bitter-ex syndrome tbh.  It's not a great look.

Not bitter. It’s just context.

I think he’s a good WR and can get back to the player he was in 2015. But his 2014 was cut short by injuries and his 2016 was marred by inconsistency. Nobody is dishing out a first round pick for a one year rental when that’s the history of the player prior to an ACL tear.

It’s too many resources for too little time with too many question marks. It just doesn’t work that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Not bitter. It’s just context.

I think he’s a good WR and can get back to the player he was in 2015. But his 2014 was cut short by injuries and his 2016 was marred by inconsistency. Nobody is dishing out a first round pick for a one year rental when that’s the history of the player prior to an ACL tear.

It’s too many resources for too little time with too many question marks. It just doesn’t work that way.

I mean, his "inconsistent" year was still pretty good though, and marred by craptastic Bortles play did not remotely flatter.  The track record is evidently still plenty strong to warrant a substantial financial investment in ARob from at least one team, presumably more...to have elevated his price to that point.  Based on the market in FA and the Draft at WR this year.

But yeah, it comes down less to the smearing of ARob as a less talented player than he is (which seems to have ramped up since it became clear he wasn't going to stay here), and more to the fact that teams aren't going to expend that much of both draft capital, and cap space on the same player like that.  Especially not coming off a significant injury.  If he'd been truly "cost controlled", you could get a nice pick for him.  But it's kind of an either/or thing.  A team will spend money or draft capital on a good player...rarely both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man...this dude sure looks the part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fournette and co. out there watching the young guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jalen outchea trash talking rookie QBs and I am 100% here for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, iPwn said:

Lol. No one is giving up a second for a one year rental WR coming off an ACL tear, particularly when that WR only has one good season to his name and wasn’t the most recent season. 

Who said that was in play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 2:16 PM, iPwn said:

Not bitter. It’s just context.

I think he’s a good WR and can get back to the player he was in 2015. But his 2014 was cut short by injuries and his 2016 was marred by inconsistency. Nobody is dishing out a first round pick for a one year rental when that’s the history of the player prior to an ACL tear.

It’s too many resources for too little time with too many question marks. It just doesn’t work that way.

And not in this draft either that had some good WRs in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, iPwn said:

Jalen outchea trash talking rookie QBs and I am 100% here for it.

Yea, lets just hope he does that in teal for the next decade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, Tugboat said:

I mean, his "inconsistent" year was still pretty good though, and marred by craptastic Bortles play did not remotely flatter.  The track record is evidently still plenty strong to warrant a substantial financial investment in ARob from at least one team, presumably more...to have elevated his price to that point.  Based on the market in FA and the Draft at WR this year.

But yeah, it comes down less to the smearing of ARob as a less talented player than he is (which seems to have ramped up since it became clear he wasn't going to stay here), and more to the fact that teams aren't going to expend that much of both draft capital, and cap space on the same player like that.  Especially not coming off a significant injury.  If he'd been truly "cost controlled", you could get a nice pick for him.  But it's kind of an either/or thing.  A team will spend money or draft capital on a good player...rarely both.

I definitely get what you’re saying about how it’s seemingly disparaging him. But that’s really not what I’m trying to do. I like ARob and wish him the best. I know it seemingly was the team’s decision, and I’m still not happy with it nor the decision to let Hurnsy go. Given I live in Chicago, I’ll be catching a good number of his games and rooting for him.

What I mean is that had he not been coming off of an ACL tear and had two straight 1300 yard seasons (one of which being the 1400 yarder), you could definitely see someone investing a first and then paying big money to lock him up. A game changer like we saw in ‘15, who can consistently do those things is worth his weight in gold. But when you throw on the injury, then throw on the inconsistency in play whether it be his fault or that of his QBs, it’s not something that can be really justified.

We saw how much Brandin Cooks’ value went down after one year where he was the same player he was previously. He went from a one year cost control with an additional 5th year option worth a first plus, to a higher cost one year rental (and still not that costly), and it dropped his value quite a bit. Throw in all the compounding factors and you can’t justify ARob getting that same return, even if ARob does (and he does) have a higher ceiling than Brandin Cooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2018 at 10:00 AM, .Buzz said:

Man...this dude sure looks the part.

 

On 13/05/2018 at 6:29 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What is so impressive about this?

Nothing really, because it's just running around in shorts and we already know Taven is a stellar athlete.  But also, he sure does look the part.  That's a 300lb man with some serious jump and smoothness getting to that bag.

If he can find ways to start to consistently translate that raw physical ability...that would be impressive, and we will have one heck of a player on our hands, for a 29th pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2018 at 7:37 AM, iPwn said:

I definitely get what you’re saying about how it’s seemingly disparaging him. But that’s really not what I’m trying to do. I like ARob and wish him the best. I know it seemingly was the team’s decision, and I’m still not happy with it nor the decision to let Hurnsy go. Given I live in Chicago, I’ll be catching a good number of his games and rooting for him.

What I mean is that had he not been coming off of an ACL tear and had two straight 1300 yard seasons (one of which being the 1400 yarder), you could definitely see someone investing a first and then paying big money to lock him up. A game changer like we saw in ‘15, who can consistently do those things is worth his weight in gold. But when you throw on the injury, then throw on the inconsistency in play whether it be his fault or that of his QBs, it’s not something that can be really justified.

We saw how much Brandin Cooks’ value went down after one year where he was the same player he was previously. He went from a one year cost control with an additional 5th year option worth a first plus, to a higher cost one year rental (and still not that costly), and it dropped his value quite a bit. Throw in all the compounding factors and you can’t justify ARob getting that same return, even if ARob does (and he does) have a higher ceiling than Brandin Cooks.

Yeah.  That's totally fair.  Value contracts and reliable health are bigtime commodities in today's NFL, as are draft picks.

It just seems like there's been an annoying surge in the trashing of ARob and what he did here, ever since it was clear he was on the outs and they weren't gonna pay him.  It comes across dripping with jealousy and bitterness and i don't much care for it...even though i'm also kinda pissed they didn't make the move to keep him for at least this year.  Apologize if i projected something there that wasn't intended, it's just seemed like such a constant theme since it happened...where ARob is suddenly trash now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×