Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Almost every team in the playoffs used RB's in the passing game as not only check downs, but actual weapons to gain chunks of yardage. I think this trend will be hot, just like at the height of everyone trying to find the next TE weapon, which peaked about 5 years ago, and still continues, but much harder to find. RB's have been shown to stretch the field vertically, and can also stretch the field sideline to sideline. The Packers are way behind the league in this regard

A. Jones never said it's all check downs. You made it sound like that's all that is planned.

B. Check down isn't just a check down was my view of what he said too. I honestly think he meant the backs are just going to be more involved.

C. Throwing to backs isn't a new fad. I keep seeing it talked like it is, always using Kamara. Had backs getting 100 recs when I was a kid. I don't even know if there's an actual big uptick?

Totally agree we're way behind. Let's make sure a lot of that blame lands on Rodgers and not just fatty Mac

Just now, Norm said:

Totally agree we're way behind. Let's make sure a lot of that blame lands on Rodgers and not just fatty Mac

I have never been able to find it, but I swear I read somewhere a while ago (6-7 years ago) that Rodgers said he looks down on throwing to running backs because he finds it cheap.  I would pay 100 dollars to be able to find that quote from him again because everybody thinks it's just a part of my Rodgers hate, but it's not.  He's got an inflated ego and he is a diva who makes the game harder than it has to be.  If he didn't have such an enormous ego, I would think he's the best quarterback to ever play the game, but the dude just makes it harder on himself for no real reason.  If he doesn't start taking what's there instead of looking for more yards to boost his rating and such, his game will not age well at all.  Can anybody see Aaron Rodgers playing at 39-40 if he doesn't change the way he plays?  Honestly? 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I have never been able to find it, but I swear I read somewhere a while ago (6-7 years ago) that Rodgers said he looks down on throwing to running backs because he finds it cheap.  I would pay 100 dollars to be able to find that quote from him again because everybody thinks it's just a part of my Rodgers hate, but it's not.  He's got an inflated ego and he is a diva who makes the game harder than it has to be.  If he didn't have such an enormous ego, I would think he's the best quarterback to ever play the game, but the dude just makes it harder on himself for no real reason.  If he doesn't start taking what's there instead of looking for more yards to boost his rating and such, his game will not age well at all.  Can anybody see Aaron Rodgers playing at 39-40 if he doesn't change the way he plays?  Honestly? 

There's a ton of truth here. I've been saying this stuff for a while. Falls on deaf ears. Supposedly it's ALL made up by his deep plays. He could actually do both.

Just now, Norm said:

There's a ton of truth here. I've been saying this stuff for a while. Falls on deaf ears. Supposedly it's ALL made up by his deep plays. He could actually do both.

And that's such an absolutely positively stupid response that enrages me.  If he did the first thing, the deep ones would happen more often.  It's like... Why in the actual hell do people not understand that if he takes what's short, it opens up what's deep that much more? 

Since 2011, every team has known exactly how to play the Packers.  Rodgers hasn't adapted, he's just learned how to handle it within the confines of exactly what he's doing that makes teams play us that same way. 

It kills me. 

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And that's such an absolutely positively stupid response that enrages me.  If he did the first thing, the deep ones would happen more often.  It's like... Why in the actual hell do people not understand that if he takes what's short, it opens up what's deep that much more? 

Since 2011, every team has known exactly how to play the Packers.  Rodgers hasn't adapted, he's just learned how to handle it within the confines of exactly what he's doing that makes teams play us that same way. 

It kills me. 

Yeah and since 2011 Rodgers has... 

Thrown for :

181 TDs,

40 INTs

21,132 Yards 

103.2 Passer rating

Rushed for 

1,487 yards

9 TDs

And that dosen't even count playoffs, which they have made every year up until last season.

You got it right, the NFL has absolutely bamboozled Rodgers and the Packers offense since 2011. Give me a break.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It kills me. 

You understand that Norm is actually agreeing with you, right?

8 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Because you dont want your starters running reps with the 3rd offense.

Ok, but that doesn't mean you have to take on so many extra guys to accomplish that. You have 3 starters and you have 5 more guys in camp including your Day 3 rookies and a couple UDFA's or journeymen; someone gets hurt and you find another camp body.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You understand that Norm is actually agreeing with you, right?

Yeah he does. He's saying the response that the deep stuff makes up for it is dumb, not what I said as a whole

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh that really wasn't his game at Vandy. Unless Martinez is going to crash and blow up FBs and Burks takes the sideline/roamer role.

Well....yeah, that's why we drafted him tbh. I think he could easily be the yin to Martinez's yang over the course of the season as long as he's healthy and proves not to be a liability.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Ok, but that doesn't mean you have to take on so many extra guys to accomplish that. You have 3 starters and you have 5 more guys in camp including your Day 3 rookies and a couple UDFA's or journeymen; someone gets hurt and you find another camp body.

Pretty are we always have this many man. We had 10 last year it looks like with a far more solid idea of who was gonna make it

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well....yeah, that's why we drafted him tbh. I think he could easily be the yin to Martinez's yang over the course of the season as long as he's healthy and proves not to be a liability.

This is taking away what a proven starter did best to cater to a mid round rookie though...

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

This is taking away what a proven starter did best to cater to a mid round rookie though...

We're discussing whether or not we need a coverage ILB in another thread. So....what are we really losing with Ryan other than a veteran presence and a solid run stuffer? Again with the WR's; so we have 10 in TC, why do we need 10 when 8 suffices?

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

We're discussing whether or not we need a coverage ILB in another thread. So....what are we really losing with Ryan other than a veteran presence and a solid run stuffer? Again with the WR's; so we have 10 in TC, why do we need 10 when 8 suffices?

I don't agree 8 suffices though. Even though we look at those last couple and think why? They will never make it. Ya need guys to catch footballs. We run about 10 receivers every year like I posted.AFAIK. 

Anyways, I thought you were just agreeing with what Ray said. I don't want to cater to the rookie if it takes away from what Blake seemingly does best, that's all.

Archived