Updates from Saints Rookie Minicamp

Dome

Always consider the source, but sounds like a few key guys had a good camp. It is a rookie minicamp and it doesn't mean a whole lot, but a good camp is always better than a bad one!

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2018/5/12/17348446/new-orleans-saints-rookie-minicamp-report-ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-jt-barrett-nfl-undrafted-free-agent

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_e4202620-561a-11e8-92cc-b74526106294.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Barrett made several nice throws on the day, including big hits to former Western Kentucky tight end Deon Yelder and third-round pick Tre’Quan Smith out of UCF, a transitive National Champion.The Advocate’s Joel Erickson commented that Barrett didn’t miss a throw in the time practice was open to the media. Smith specifically had a strong day, redeeming Brandin Cooks’ #10 jersey and running some crisp routes in team sessions and isolated drills.

It turns out I’m not crazy to be an advocate for Barrett’s pro prospects after seeing his rookie minicamp highlights. Sean Payton spoke highly of the Buckeyes signal-caller, particularly his experience (Barrett appeared in 50 games over four years for Ohio State) to Josh Katzenstein of the Times-Picayune:

“There’s a leadership presence about him,” Payton said. “He’s a good athlete. He’s played a lot of competitive football. He’s handled this camp very well, so (he has) a lot of the things you look for in that position. He certainly was worthy of being drafted, and he’s done a good job here.”

Davenport working off the edge out of a three-point stance, and looking mighty fine at it. A common criticism for Davenport’s evaluation in college was his lack of bend and lower-body flexibility. Deemed too tall for his own good, many evaluators questioned whether he could get low enough to win at the next level.

A puzzlingly-rare correlation made here was Davenport’s deployment out of a stand-up, two-point stance. He wasn’t asked to get low from the jump, meaning all 6-foot-6 of him had to get down after his first step to beat his man. That’s a tall order, and the Saints are smartly training him out of a more-natural three-point stance with his hand in the dirt. This allows him to play more conventionally and get the natural bend you’d want to see - and it’s what we do see in that clip.

Payton also joked about luring retired right tackle Zach Strief out of the parking lot as a spectator and into offering some pointers to the team’s rookie linemen like Rick Leonard and Will Clapp. Strief tried to get out, but they brought him back in.

5af75378b7914.image.jpg

Zach Strief's retirement hasn't exactly been a goodbye so far. 

Strief, who was part of WWL's radio coverage of the NFL draft a couple of weeks ago, was out on the field at his old team's rookie minicamp on Saturday, working with draft picks Rick Leonard and Will Clapp as they get their first taste of the NFL. 

Two months after he walked away from the NFL after 12 seasons, Strief is still looking out for the next generation of Saints. 

"That's huge," Leonard said. "I met him for the first time today out at practice, and he's a great guy, so willing to help." 

What Strief's involvement will look like moving forward remains to be seen. Helping out on Saturday was more of an impromptu surprise than the plan at hand, and Strief could continue his involvement with WWL. 

-Great to hear that Strief is still part of the Org, at least to some extent as he's a great story of what hard work and perseverance can do.

-Davenport looks a little rough in the video of him pass rushing, probably a combination of being without pads and still adjusting to the new stance, will get a better idea in preseason.

-Not surprised by Barrett, he has the tools, I still question his mentality in a game situation, though it's good to hear that Payton really likes him and if he can get back to taking some 50/50 throws and not just 90%+ throws then I think he can easily play at an Alex Smith/Andy Dalton level.

-Why hasn't the season started yet?

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

-Davenport looks a little rough in the video of him pass rushing, probably a combination of being without pads and still adjusting to the new stance, will get a better idea in preseason.

New stance, and he’s never been a RE. He’s always played across from the RT in Jordan’s main spot 

13 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

New stance, and he’s never been a RE. He’s always played across from the RT in Jordan’s main spot 

Yeah, plus it's different playing against people without pads when you can't really play as aggressive as you normally would compared to the helmet only practice they are going through as it is.  I think it's great that he's being forced get reps in the 3 point stance so that it becomes muscle memory sooner rather than letting him try and skate by on his athleticism in a 2 point stance to start the season.  The more reps the more comfortable he'll get and the faster he'll be able to start exploding out of it.

22 hours ago, Raves said:

I think it's great that he's being forced get reps in the 3 point stance so that it becomes muscle memory sooner rather than letting him try and skate by on his athleticism in a 2 point stance to start the season.  The more reps the more comfortable he'll get and the faster he'll be able to start exploding out of it.

Remember when we switched Galette (or let him switch) to that weird looking 4-point stance he’d do from the end position? Lol

His first year of that was probably his most successful. Hopefully Davenport finds similar success early 

16 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

He had better adjust well, and quick. All I'm hearing at this point are excuses. That's fine, to a point, but not when burning an additional 1st round pick.

Yup, I'm that guy, today.

Need a Snickers?

16 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

He had better adjust well, and quick. All I'm hearing at this point are excuses. That's fine, to a point, but not when burning an additional 1st round pick.

29 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Need a Snickers?

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Imma agree here... I love Davenports potential (i feel he can be the next demarcus ware) but lets not forget that Ireland also traded up for Dion Jordan as well who was a similar type of athlete that played majority of his college reps standing up. Yes Jordan had substance abuse issues but he also had a hard time adjusting to life as a down defensive lineman and felt more natural standing utlizing his athleticism. Davenport even said as much after he was drafted and Payton even chimmed in saying that they (Saints) would allow him to play standing if thats where he felt most comfortable. Now it appears they are force feeding Davenport in as a down defensive end just like the Dolphins did with Jordan. 

I dont wanna read too much into it because its only a mini camp but im weery about there approach with Davenport thus far. I see potantially the next Ware in him and alot of that is his ability to play on his feet. I just hope this isnt another one of Paytons trying to fit a square peg in a round hole idea again. Lets face it, despite a stellar recent drafting run... Payton has missed out on his so called "vision" on a few prospects during that time only to see those players fall into other positions. With what the Saints gave up for Davenport they cannot afford to be wrong on anything with him.

Archived