2018 FIFA World Cup Group C & Group D

LeeEvans

16 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

It will be interesting from a tactical standpoint. Obviously Croatia is strong in the midfield but Nigeria has two really strong defensive midfielders and then Mikel. I expect it to be a little more tight and compact in the middle than open like the last game. 

Tactics were all wrong, for me. They were bypassing the midfield, essentially. Rakitic dropping back into the defence to spray balls high and wide to Kramarić and Rebić. Always struggling and niggling to get back as well, with plenty of professional fouls. I think it's because they decided to desert the midfield. It was essentially a 4-2-4. 

When Broz came on, and Modric dropped more, it seemed like they started to dictate.

Moses was really, really cheesing me off all day.

8 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think Messi is better at its not even close tbh.

Same. To me it's crazy that people even consider Ronaldo with him, as a player. Ronaldo makes far too many bad decisions, takes about 15 shots per goal and goes missing a lot. Messi is ALWAYS involved and just has got more, in terms of dribbling, intelligence, tactical nous, passing. Ronaldo has great moments, but Messi overall better player. But anyway, great game from Crissy Ron. Great WC so far - i'm loving this :D

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Same. To me it's crazy that people even consider Ronaldo with him, as a player. Ronaldo makes far too many bad decisions, takes about 15 shots per goal and goes missing a lot. Messi is ALWAYS involved and just has got more, in terms of dribbling, intelligence, tactical nous, passing. Ronaldo has great moments, but Messi overall better player. But anyway, great game from Crissy Ron. Great WC so far - i'm loving this :D

This is why it’s not close to me, Messi could be the best #10 in the world, best #9, or the best winger in the world. The thing is that this is more of how great I think Messi is, as opposed my opinion on Ronaldo 

28 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tactics were all wrong, for me. They were bypassing the midfield, essentially. Rakitic dropping back into the defence to spray balls high and wide to Kramarić and Rebić. Always struggling and niggling to get back as well, with plenty of professional fouls. I think it's because they decided to desert the midfield. It was essentially a 4-2-4. 

When Broz came on, and Modric dropped more, it seemed like they started to dictate.

Moses was really, really cheesing me off all day.

I thought when the game changed is when Modric went higher up the pitch after Kramaric went off. He went back to playing as a 10 like he'd had during he playoffs and Croatia seemed to finally start using the ball better in the final third. Croatia, for some reason, has always struggled to convert their midfield talent to being able to dominate that area of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is why it’s not close to me, Messi could be the best #10 in the world, best #9, or the best winger in the world. The thing is that this is more of how great I think Messi is, as opposed my opinion on Ronaldo 

That’s simply not true considering he isn’t a better 9 than Ronaldo. The hardest thing to do in the sport is score, and Ronaldo is better than Messi at that and can do it in more ways. So it doesn’t really matter that Messi has him beat in more categories (ie dribbling, vision) when Ronaldo impacts the game more with his scoring. 

And you value the positional versatility but don’t put any value on tactical versatility? Messi cannot play in any formation and any style and be the best, Ronaldo can. Messi wouldn’t fit in at all on a counter attacking team. He has to be on a possession based team. There is a reason Messi looks far, far better for Barcelona than Argentina. The entire system is built around him. And there is a reason Ronaldo still looks like the best with Portugal, he dominates regardless of the team setup. 

28 minutes ago, PAW said:

That’s simply not true considering he isn’t a better 9 than Ronaldo. The hardest thing to do in the sport is score, and Ronaldo is better than Messi at that and can do it in more ways. So it doesn’t really matter that Messi has him beat in more categories (ie dribbling, vision) when Ronaldo impacts the game more with his scoring. 

And you value the positional versatility but don’t put any value on tactical versatility? Messi cannot play in any formation and any style and be the best, Ronaldo can. Messi wouldn’t fit in at all on a counter attacking team. He has to be on a possession based team. There is a reason Messi looks far, far better for Barcelona than Argentina. The entire system is built around him. And there is a reason Ronaldo still looks like the best with Portugal, he dominates regardless of the team setup. 

People seem to forget that Ronaldo was a winger at United. He was also the best player in the world whilst doing it, let alone best winger.

The way Ronaldo has adapted his game with age and to different needs and systems, is quite astonishing really.

31 minutes ago, PAW said:

Because he doesn’t play #9 that’s why and that would be limiting what Messi can do. Funny thing is that Ronaldo is not a better goal scorer, statistically that’s proven to be false lol. So the one thing that Ronaldo can only hang his hat on, Messi over his career has proven to be better. So how can he impact the game more than Messi, even if you go by the sole metric of goals?

Messi wouldn’t fit in on a counter attacking team? Nonsense. Under Enrique, when they moved on from Pep they played more direct and more counter attacking football as opposed to famous tiki taka football, he was still the best in the world. So where you got that from, I don’t know.  

Most players look better for their club than their country. Ronaldo too.  Portugal like Argentina, suffer from the same issue which is their dependence on their best players. This is just prisoner of the moment, he scores a hat-trick in one game and we act like this is the norm for him. It’s not. 

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Because he doesn’t play #9 that’s why and that would be limiting what Messi can do. Funny thing is that Ronaldo is not a better goal scorer, statistically that’s proven to be false lol. So the one thing that Ronaldo can only hang his hat on, Messi over his career has proven to be better. So how can he impact the game more than Messi, even if you go by the sole metric of goals?

Messi wouldn’t fit in on a counter attacking team? Nonsense. Under Enrique, when they moved on from Pep they played more direct and more counter attacking football as opposed to famous tiki taka football, he was still the best in the world. So where you got that from, I don’t know.  

Most players look better for their club than their country. Ronaldo too.  Portugal like Argentina, suffer from the same issue which is their dependence on their best players. This is just prisoner of the moment, he scores a hat-trick in one game and we act like this is the norm for him. It’s not. 

I'm kind of tired of this debate but it does seem incredibly reactive. What about last WC where Messi basically dragged Argentina to the final on his own? Ronaldo had an incredible performance against Spain, its not out of the realm of possible that Messi scores a hat trick in his next match. 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Again simply not true. Ronaldo’s stats are impacted by playing in the EPL. Since he has been in Spain and playing like for like competition, his scoring rate is better than Messi’s. Comparing career stats when playing in different leagues is stupid. 

Barcelona has never been a counter attacking team lol  

Ronaldo led Portugal to a major title with a crap roster.  He got hurt early in the final but Portugal doesn’t sniff getting there without him.  I don’t care he got a hat trick vs Spain and Messi underperformed like always right after.  Ronaldo always looks better for Portugal than Messi does for Argentina even though Argentina has a much better roster.  

Archived