Jump to content
turtle28

Do the huge crowds Caps crowds in DC make Snyder want to build a stadium in DC now?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

They'd still have to approve the stadium? They can BS whatever they want as reasons not to.

This. Especially since Snyder wants the city to pay for the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The World Cup in 2026 should only increase Dan's desire for a new stadium.

This I think would mean more to Snyder than the Caps victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Is there no jurisdiction in court for him if he wanted to go back to dc and keep the name? I’d have to believe so 

On what grounds would he have for suing? It's the same thing as DC blocking Walmart; they don't have to let a private business build in their jurisdiction if they don't want them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Woz said:

On what grounds would he have for suing? It's the same thing as DC blocking Walmart; they don't have to let a private business build in their jurisdiction if they don't want them to.

Definitely true. I was just thinking they could do it and then fight it, but that seems unlikely that Snyder would be advised to build the stadium and then fight the name change.

Also, obviously they wouldn’t get public funding or the tax breaks etc to build the stadium w/o the DC Council’s approval. So, my entire point doesn’t add up. 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

Also, obviously they wouldn’t get public funding or the tax breaks etc to build the stadium w/o the DC Council’s approval. So, my entire point doesn’t add up. 😂

Given where the DC Council seemingly stands, they wouldn't even get approval to break ground without a name change, regardless of whose money is spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Woz said:

Given where the DC Council seemingly stands, they wouldn't even get approval to break ground without a name change, regardless of whose money is spent.

Yeah, definitely true. You and Slateman are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the new suits in the front office can help get a stadium done in DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I hope the new suits in the front office can help get a stadium done in DC

Did you hear his interview on Cooley & Kevin yesterday? While it was a bunch of fluf, the message was so much better than  Allen or Vinny and better that it’s frankly been since the early 90s coming from the Redskins. Of course, back then they didn’t have market/manufacture a message to win fans, the winning brought the fans and created the waiting list in the first place.

The guy who was on was a VP of sometime thing - who the hell knows, some corporate title - but he mentioned the stadium experience is going to be improved from the parking lot to the viewing experience. They’re going to have a reward system where season ticket holders get points and discounts on concessions and other perks. They’re going to improve areas around the stadium to be able to watch the game - I’m thinking like places with TVs set up and couches/bars etc or something - amongst other things.

I don’t know, it was a good message and much more positive than listening to political smoozing from Allen or a guy who sounded lost all the time like Vinny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, MikeT14 said:

The World Cup in 2026 should only increase Dan's desire for a new stadium.

Won't the DC United arena/facility be finished by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Won't the DC United arena/facility be finished by then?

Yes, I believe it’s done already or near done. The issue there is it doesn’t hold that many fans. They’d need a stadium the size of Fed Ex field to hold all those World Cup fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Won't the DC United arena/facility be finished by then?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I believe it’s done already or near done. The issue there is it doesn’t hold that many fans. They’d need a stadium the size of Fed Ex field to hold all those World Cup fans.

Correct. While the DC United facility opens this year (estimated to be next month), it only seats 20K.

Usually, I think they need to hold 35-40K to be considered for a World Cup venue, but every stadium that the US has put forth as part of the 2026 bid can hold 60K+ (Mexico and Canada's smallest stadiums will be 45K).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy who is revamping the ticket sales and concessions said they’ll be no discounts on beer. So, that looses most people. 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, the Caps winning will make it less likely he builds a stadium in the city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If anything, the Caps winning will make it less likely he builds a stadium in the city

How so? Because the DC Council decides they don't need the Redskins in town proper to have a champion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Woz said:

How so? Because the DC Council decides they don't need the Redskins in town proper to have a champion?

Well, that. That's one side of the coin.

But also with the Caps winning it all and the Nats in the playoffs, you'll see a lot more fans in the city going to see the "winners".

Which means more bodies on metro during the weekday rush hours. More cars on the roads in a city that already has a problem just with rush hour traffic now.

And if two of the other 3 have games the same night as a Redskins game?

More traffic and metro misery. Which means the fan experience will be crap.

Additionally, the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. The Jets/Giants dont even play in New York state, let alone NYC. Both cities would have a parade for the "hometown" team of they won the Super Bowl.

These celebrations don't move the needle to the "build in DC" side. They move it away IMHO

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×