Jump to content
squire12

2nd most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 2nd most important for the 2018 season  

52 members have voted

  1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 2nd most important for the 2018 season

    • Mike Daniels
      6
    • Kenny Clark
      5
    • Mo Wilkerson
      5
    • Nick Perry
      18
    • Clay Matthews
      9
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
      6
    • Blake Martinez
      0
    • Tramon Williams
      2
    • Other (please note specific name in post)
      1


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Even if Clark is our undisputed best player, he's still not the most important player on this defense. Positional value matters in this stuff.

There’s a lot of ways you can interpret it, ya. I really think we need high impact players defensively that’s why I picked King first and Clark second.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the group got the most important player wrong. They have enough nfl talented bodies to survive King having an up and down year. For the D to work they need a pass rush, which our best rusher is Perry. 

 

With that being said, I voted Dix second. Our depth at safety is lacking. They need him to stabilize the back end or it could be ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iny my opinion we have descent depth on the line, so even if a key guy goes down, we can survive. Same at inside linebacker. Corner was a week spot, but we've got lots of guys who could step up, so I'm going with... Outside Linebacker. A week spot with no proven depth and no one drafted or free agent to swoop in and help. So either Clay or Perry will be the second most important guy on the defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I think the group got the most important player wrong. They have enough nfl talented bodies to survive King having an up and down year. For the D to work they need a pass rush, which our best rusher is Perry. 

 

With that being said, I voted Dix second. Our depth at safety is lacking. They need him to stabilize the back end or it could be ugly.

That is true true true.  Some really good veteran safeties available on the FA market.  Jones, Dix, Brice and that's about it.  Sure would be nice to add another vet to the group.  Market for safeties is really in the tank not really sure why.  Vaccaro and Boston come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Lofton said:

Iny my opinion we have descent depth on the line, so even if a key guy goes down, we can survive. Same at inside linebacker. Corner was a week spot, but we've got lots of guys who could step up, so I'm going with... Outside Linebacker. A week spot with no proven depth and no one drafted or free agent to swoop in and help. So either Clay or Perry will be the second most important guy on the defense.

I’d argue corner isn’t really weak, just untapped potential. We have 3 top 50 picks, a solid journeyman vet in TW, and some depth corner who won’t get major run. That is pretty solid.

DL we are good at.

ILB-fine

OLB- could be ugly

S- hit or miss with no depth. There’s talent, but we need to see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2018 at 7:11 PM, Scoremore said:

That is true true true.  Some really good veteran safeties available on the FA market.  Jones, Dix, Brice and that's about it.  Sure would be nice to add another vet to the group.  Market for safeties is really in the tank not really sure why.  Vaccaro and Boston come to mind.

Just curious what you are looking for in a safety? For me I like speed(range), intelligence(correct position) and toughness(tackling). Everything else is icing. Unless I am missing something, Boston, Reid, Vaccaro, Ward, etc are all deficient in at least one of those and none of them are a plus(+) range. At this time I would run with what I have and if two weeks into camp the young guys aren’t where they need to be then I would look at signing one but that safety mark is dead! No rush to make a move there right now! 

 

P.S. Boston is reportedly looking for a multi year $8+ million/year deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're a lot deeper at Safety than some of you would acknowledge. Our EDGE guys really need to step it up. The good news is that Pettine was able to make it happen in NY with Calvin Pace and....who???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Just curious what you are looking for in a safety? For me I like speed(range), intelligence(correct position) and toughness(tackling). Everything else is icing. Unless I am missing something, Boston, Reid, Vaccaro, Ward, etc are all deficient in at least one of those and none of them are a plus(+) range. At this time I would run with what I have and if two weeks into camp the young guys aren’t where they need to be then I would look at signing one but that safety mark is dead! No rush to make a move there right now! 

 

P.S. Boston is reportedly looking for a multi year $8+ million/year deal!

They don't have to be the fastest guys.  Just looking for a veteran with some experience on the back end to cover us in case of injury.  2-4 million range.  No wonder Boston isn't signed.  He will be lucky to get half of that.  Agree though let's see how it plays out in training camp and see if we can find a 4th Safety.  The lack of experience is what concerns me the most.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Just curious what you are looking for in a safety? For me I like speed(range), intelligence(correct position) and toughness(tackling). Everything else is icing. Unless I am missing something, Boston, Reid, Vaccaro, Ward, etc are all deficient in at least one of those and none of them are a plus(+) range. At this time I would run with what I have and if two weeks into camp the young guys aren’t where they need to be then I would look at signing one but that safety mark is dead! No rush to make a move there right now! 

 

P.S. Boston is reportedly looking for a multi year $8+ million/year deal!

Josh Jones  has a chance to make a second year leap at safety. He certainly has the range  (a 4.41 40, at a listed 220lb, for Pete's sake). He has that toughness you want as well, to be that enforcer that offences are hesitant to challenge. Of the three attributes you mentioned, it's just intelligence (I prefer calling it instincts) that he needs to sharpen up on. It will help him if he plays mostly (or entirely) safety in camp, and lets Oren Burks be the coverage type ILB of the future. HHCD + Jones + impressive undrafted FA, Kentrell Brice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Josh Jones  has a chance to make a second year leap at safety. He certainly has the range  (a 4.41 40, at a listed 220lb, for Pete's sake). He has that toughness you want as well, to be that enforcer that offences are hesitant to challenge. Of the three attributes you mentioned, it's just intelligence (I prefer calling it instincts) that he needs to sharpen up on. It will help him if he plays mostly (or entirely) safety in camp, and lets Oren Burks be the coverage type ILB of the future. HHCD + Jones + impressive undrafted FA, Kentrell Brice.

I absolutely agree that Jones needs to see those reps at safety and not coverage ILB! I hope a third safety can also be developed out of the Brice, Evans, Rollins, et all group! Seeing how surprise UDFA’s and late picks make strides going into their second training camp is always my favorite thing! Safety is one of those positions where I feel a full offseason is required to see if a player can develop the mental game. The  nice thing is you can get special teams play out of this safety depth; I’m not sure you get it from some of the veterans out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×