Bill vs Jets vs Dolphins

patriotsheatyan

6 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Just a question, but how have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady managed to play against trash divisional opponents for the significant majority of their 15+ playing careers? Doesn’t playing a QB like that psychologically warp the other franchises? And how much of their success is due to consistently having an easy route to the divisional crown?

Can’t speak for Peyton, but here’s a post I made in another thread pertaining to the AFCE in the Brady era:

On 4/13/2018 at 5:40 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Win percentage against non-division opponents, Brady era sans 2017.

AFC East sans Pats: .473

AFC West: .500 (.466 sans Broncos).

AFC South: .486 (.442 sans Colts). 

AFC North: .510 (.476 sans Steelers).

NFC East: .525 (.510 sans Eagles). 

NFC West: .440 (.404 sans Seahawks).

NFC North: .480 (.446 sans Packers).

NFC South: .511 (.494 sans Falcons). 

Patriots win % against division: .776

Patriots win % outside division: .759 (the following three percentages were AFC teams - Steelers, Colts, Broncos). 

Patriots win % against teams that finished 9-7 or better: .610 (that percentage is higher than any percentage of any team in the NFC overall except for Green Bay). The only other team with a winning record vs 9-7 or better opponents is Pittsburgh. 

Patriots win % against teams that finished in the playoffs: .622 (no other team even had a winning record). 

2002: Jets playoff appearance (Dolphins miss at 9-7).

2003: Dolphins miss playoffs at 10-6.

2004: Jets playoff appearance.

2005: Dolphins miss playoffs at 9-7.

2006: Jets playoff appearance.

2007: All teams obliterated.

2008: Dolphins playoff appearance.

2009: Jets playoff appearance. 

2010: Jets playoff appearance.

2011: Jets miss playoffs at 8-8.

2012: All teams with losing records.

2013: Jets/Dolphins miss playoffs at 8-8.

2014: Bills miss playoffs at 9-7.

2015: Jets miss playoffs at 10-6.

2016: Dolphins playoff appearance.

2017: Bills playoff appearance.

The idea that NE benefits so much from a weak division/conference is false.

None of the teams have been consistent threats like Pittsburgh/Baltimore throughout that time span, but there has usually been a solid team in the division. Just not the same one year to year.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Can’t speak for Peyton, but here’s a post I made in another thread pertaining to the AFCE in the Brady era:

None of the teams have been consistent threats like Pittsburgh/Baltimore throughout that time span, but there has usually been a solid team in the division. Just not the same one year to year.

I don’t know...it seems to me that the Jets squeaked into the playoffs a handful of times because the rest of the division (sans Patriots) were horribad. The Jets haven’t been a legitimate threat to do anything in the playoffs since Brady’s been in town. I mean, the Bills made the playoffs last year, but that was because the AFC had to have six teams in the playoffs, and there were a bunch of really bad teams. 

12 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t know...it seems to me that the Jets squeaked into the playoffs a handful of times because the rest of the division (sans Patriots) were horribad. The Jets haven’t been a legitimate threat to do anything in the playoffs since Brady’s been in town. I mean, the Bills made the playoffs last year, but that was because the AFC had to have six teams in the playoffs, and there were a bunch of really bad teams. 

Shrug.

There were a pretty decent handful of times that each team went 8-8, 9-7, and 10-6 with playoff appearances. Not painting them as a juggernaut division, but they’re not nearly as bad as they’re made out to be. The records would say that the NE-less AFCE is about average as far as wins go against other divisions without their typical division winner. 

The AFCE minus NE isn’t much worse than those NFCW teams (minus the winners), AFCS (minus Peyton), AFCW (minus the winners), or NFCN (minus GB). That’s without looking at the records or win percentages, but those divisions hosted some really, really bad teams in the 2000s. 

Although, I think the win percentages I posted for NE pretty clearly show that their success is just as good outside the division.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No offense to your team, but I hate the way your team is structured. No run game, average/slightly above average WR's, pretty awful OL, and then a defense filled with a bunch of "maybe's" and declining veterans. I was not a big fan of your draft class at all outside of Jerome Baker, who is going to need some time before he's ready for potential stardom. And I don't think Tannehill is all that great either. I liked him coming out of college, but he's been mildly underwhelming thus far.

Tannehill played well under Gase before the injury.

Drake led the NFL in rushing during the last 5 weeks of the season.

The OL should be good enough. Sitton at LG helps.

The LB are the main area needing improvement. The loss of Suh should be offset by the additions of Quinn and Fitzpatrick, talent-wise. 

Everything went wrong for Miami last season, and they still won 6 games.The schedule appears easier this season. BUF and NYJ are still in the division, plus we usually take 1 vs NE, and that looks esp. promising this season.

22 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No offense to your team, but I hate the way your team is structured. No run game, average/slightly above average WR's, pretty awful OL, and then a defense filled with a bunch of "maybe's" and declining veterans. I was not a big fan of your draft class at all outside of Jerome Baker, who is going to need some time before he's ready for potential stardom. And I don't think Tannehill is all that great either. I liked him coming out of college, but he's been mildly underwhelming thus far.

It's like the Dolphins are stuck between a rebuild and contention. The Memphis Grizzlies of the NFL. I think they'd be better served to blow everything up and go with a crazy youth movement, but they still believe they're contenders for some reason.

When looking for teams in desperate need of a complete restructuring, I see the Dolphins and the Colts as the major two culprits right now. I'm not in love with the "up & coming" talent on either squad, nor do I feel good about their immediate success.

Like my brethren mentioned above, once we traded Ajayi, Drake came in and led the league in rushing for the rest of the season and that's when we were down two starters on the OL.

There was a time when our top receiver was Brian Hartline. They're the least of my worries. Awful OL? Can definitely tell you dont pay attention. Average perhaps but far from "pretty awful". How many teams have good OL's? 

Defense filled with declining veterans? Cameron Wake is aging for sure but his play hasnt declined. The next oldest starter is Reshad Jones, 30, and is a top 10 safety. Who else is declining?  I'll give you "maybes" since no one's play has been consistent mostly because we were down starters for half the year, but there's a lot of youth and talent on defense. You weren't impressed with the draft but impressed with the player who most questioned? Makes sense. Tannehill isnt great, not many are, but his play was undoubtedly improving once Gase got here. If you cant see or acknowledge that then that's on you.

If you paid attention you'd notice that they sorta' already started rebuilding. A good majority of our starters have been drafted within the past 3 years and or are below the age of 28. You would have been better off just stating your last sentence.

So confused by the "decline" and rebuilding talk of the Bills.

They went 9-7 last year (made the playoffs) and only lost Tyrod Taylor, who was the 32nd passing QB in the NFL.

If Josh Allen can just be a game manager year 1, similar to Big Ben, I like this team a lot.

Our defense is 5x better this year than last (signing Trent Murphy, Star Louteli, Vontae Davis, 1st round LB Tremaine Edmunds).

If Josh Allen can prove the haters wrong and Kelvin Benjamin can stay healthy; the Bills will be better than they were in 2017.

Archived